Author Topic: Could glow in the dark jigs spook the larger gills?  (Read 5104 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Although it could very well be due to another factor (fishing off the pier now due to no ice so no mobility) all I could get yesterday were dink perch, bluegill, and crappie and this is in close to the deepest water of the pond not near the shoreline. A 2 lb. bass now and then but no good size gills. All I had to use were glow in the dark jigs and in low light man do these things glow! Anyway is it possible the big gills are shying away from these? BTW I bait them with waxworms like I bait all my jigs. Got to pic up some more jigs today. Had a few break offs by bass and that's why I'm stuck with the glow in the darks. 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Could glow in the dark jigs spook the larger gills?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:15 AM »
A lot of variables to possibly consider. Believe there have been times when a freshly lit up glow jig kept them from hitting for me. It wasn't until it softened down that that the fish seemed to even consider it, not 100% sure but it definately felt that way.  Belief and confidance has a lot to do with success. On occasion the bigger fish wanted a much smaller jig and bait combo (larger at times also) than the suicidal dinks that'll hit anything dropped in front of them. Mousies, spikes, Gulp etc are worth carrying and trying, jig color and horizontal vs. a vertical hanger can make a difference. Then there is presentation of the rig. There is usally an answer to it in some combination. Just wish we had some ice so I can get out and try and figure it out myself.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:27 PM »
I've seen it happen.  The Vexilar doesn't lie.  Some lakes you can just see the fish vanish when you drop a glowing jig down to them.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2006, 09:07 AM »
I do a lot of sight fishing and have never seen the glow jigs do anything but
draw fish in to investigate.  They help a fish find the bait in stained water and low light conditions.  As fishermen we need to stay flexable.  If the fish aren't hitting
on colored jigs I usually go to gold or silver.  There was a lot of good advice given
by Swift.  Mix it up and try spikes and mousies when they quit hitting waxies.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:21 PM »
yea, glow in the dark jigs spook your bigger bluegills, send me all your glows and I'll dispose of them properly.....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:44 PM »
yea, glow in the dark jigs spook your bigger bluegills, send me all your glows and I'll dispose of them properly.....

Yeah right!  ;)2
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

bonkfan14

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:50 AM »
they attract them more than spook them i guess...zeke

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:02 PM »
i caught some big gills on glow jigs.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:51 PM »
i caught some big gills on glow jigs.

shhh...don't tell anyone.....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2006, 07:41 PM »
glow jigs rule! keep them small though, too much of anything is bad for big gills.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:46 PM »
 i tested the theory on sunday. i fished a yellow #8 teardrop and my wife fished a yellow glow #8 teardrop. she caught 3 to my 2, and hers were bigger. all other factors were the same, and the holes were five feet appart.

Offline Texaco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:35 PM »
I caught some really big gills on a glow genz bug, after dark...and man do those things light up big time!! I also have had great luck with that lure for trout.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:22 PM »
i prefer glow jigs but it could also depend on water clarity, darker water not as much glow, clearer water, a lot more glow

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Although it could very well be due to another factor (fishing off the pier now due to no ice so no mobility) all I could get yesterday were dink perch, bluegill, and crappie and this is in close to the deepest water of the pond not near the shoreline. A 2 lb. bass now and then but no good size gills. All I had to use were glow in the dark jigs and in low light man do these things glow! Anyway is it possible the big gills are shying away from these? BTW I bait them with waxworms like I bait all my jigs. Got to pic up some more jigs today. Had a few break offs by bass and that's why I'm stuck with the glow in the darks. 

Anything is possible. Especially if the water is ultra clear. Next time try a rod with and one without glow to see if the size catch or quantity is impacted. I would be curious to hear your results.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Oh yea, do you have Walleye in there??? If so, the glow might represent the Eyes of a Walleye and indeed spook the pannies!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:20 PM »
It will have to wait. I drained this pond this fall. Moved all the bigger fish and killed off the rest with rotenone. Moved about 24 gills from 12 to 14 oz, a few big yellow perch and about 50 smallmouth in the 2 to 3 lbs. range.

Starting all over this spring with up to 500 female only yellow perch in the 7 inch range and male only bluegills 8 inches are over. All fish will be feed trained so I should be able to grow some monsters. Bass Pro Shops will be buying most of the perch 13 inches and above for their aquariums. Best part of all is harvest is via hook and line!  ;D

Offline z714x4play

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2008, 10:44 AM »
i was fishing in 27 feet of water with my aqua vu scout 2, i couldnt see anything down there because of no light but i was catching bluegills, i turned the lights on my aqua vu on and all i saw was a flash as about 5 big gills hauled ass away from the light i have since tried turning it on in water that i could see the fish fine in and they too spoked away.
YOU MIGHT BE FROM MICHIGAN IF...
1. if you define summer as 3 months of bad sledding.
2. if you've ever experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.
3. if your favorite holiday's are Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the first day of deer season

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Only use it when u need to
 :tipup: :afro:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.