Author Topic: Has any one ventured out yet? Tournament interest?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Has any one ventured out yet? Tournament interest?
« on: Nov 08, 2004, 03:19 PM »
The lakes in the Mat-Su area are finally starting to make ice.  Wasilla lake is completely frozen over as of a couple of days ago.  I was in the Talkeetna area about two weeks ago and the lakes were frozen up there.  I have seen no shacks or tracks... thin ice is not nice I guess.  How bout up der in da nort kuntree?  I'm hoping within the next couple weeks the ice will be a good six inches and I can take the kids fishing while my wife is outside for a wedding!

Anyone interested in a tournament?  I am starting to organize a family-oriented ice fishing tournament for some time in January (first or second weekend).  It will be a church related event, but all will be welcome.  I am looking at Big Lake for the fishing portion.  The staging and judging to be held at the church's admin building in Wasilla.  Right now I am looking for anyone interested to see how much planning is going to be needed.  There will more than likely be no prizes other than the honor of the title 'first place', 'second place'... etc.  There may be some small prizes (cakes, cookies, perhaps a cheezy trophy), but don't expect much.  This is strictly targeting family fun around some competition.  Let me know what you all think- send me a personal message if you don't want it posted for all to read.

Hey BarleyDog... I didn't make it up last year, but I will give it try this year.  I would like to target the pike, burbot, whitefish... anything but trout (except lakers).  Let's keep in touch and try to make it happen.

Icy Mike

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
Re: Has any one ventured out yet? Tournament interest?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2004, 07:00 PM »
Icy Mike
Haven't been out yet, last time I was down to Birch Lake there was still some open water in the middle. That was 3 weeks ago, should be safe by now. I'll be out there day after Thanksgiving, chasing the trout and char. I'm on call this weekend, so I have to stay in town.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2004, 10:36 PM »
I saw a few guys on Lake Lucille in Wasilla yesterday.  I'm sure the ice is safe but I won't be out until after Thanksgiving as well.  We should try to hook up and fish together, perhaps chase some pike in Lower Fire or some char and burbot in Big Lake.

Icy Mike

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I'll be down in the Wasilla/Palmer area in January for a wedding, I'm in Fairbanks. Haven't  fished much in that area, made a trip to Figure 8 lake a few years ago, long ride in and only a few small hammer handles.

Kevin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.