Author Topic: this weekend  (Read 3598 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
this weekend
« on: Feb 20, 2004, 07:12 PM »
going out for burbot tonight, if your free tonight Barlydog feel free to stop out.  same spot, hopefully i'll get some good pictures.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2004, 10:08 PM »
Thanks Jake,  Got the son's birthday party to attend.  He's the big 7 today.  Sounds like the burbs are ready to spawn!  Wish I could go :( :(  -Jim
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2004, 03:45 AM »
yeah, it was a little slow. i caught 4 and my buddy josh caught 4. i caught a real nice one though, about ten pounds.

10 pound burbot

josh with a good one on

me with a good one on

josh with a 7-8 pounder

josh with another 7-8 pounder

me with a small one

me with another small one

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:52 PM »
Nice Burbs Jake.  Looks like I missed out :(  It does look like the bigger one is spawned out.  They're on the forage prowl after spawn!  You said that you spotted some whitefish?  Did you try for them during the day?  Would be worth a try eh!
Oh yeah, did you finally get a truck?  Gotta hook up and do some fishing soon!!  -Jim
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2004, 01:02 PM »
haven't got a truck yet, and had class durring the day...that burbot was one of the fattest ones I have caught, the picture just doesn't do it justice.  It hadn't spawned yet i didn't think, and i got some fresh fillets in the fridge, so i threw her back.  I've caught grayling and whitefish there, supprized that the whitefish was alone, but it is worth a try, need little glow jigs i think.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2004, 01:11 PM »
Well if they whitefish are there during the night.... gotta be cruising the area during the day!  I would be curious about day fishing it with the aquaview?  Did you see them in about 15 ft.? or deeper? 
Gonna try on Sunday.  If your interested in a little pike?  Trying it early @ about 8:00.   
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2004, 01:32 PM »
got church on sunday from 930-1200 then life guarding from 1200-3:30....so i'm booked on sundays.  going to try burbot monday night if it warms up some...i was deeper than 15 feet....probably closer to 25, maybe deeper than that. its always dark down there anyways, the whitefish might just as well hit at night.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2004, 01:42 PM »
i had something on last night that was alot more jerky than a burbot...lost it at the bottom of the hole and didn't get to see it.  I imagine i could have snaged a whitefish or had a sheefish on.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2004, 11:14 PM »
Well I took my kids over to Chena lake and they had a ball!  Lot's of fish, (although nothing too big.)  Salmon, bows, and char were all there.  Don't bother with the main boat ramp, got the ho-down on this local before going out.  Fish are staying clear of the ramp, go to the pullout area, 6 ft. deep. 
Got bored with the little fish and decided to chase pike for a couple hours.  Pulled 5 through the ice, biggest was about 9 lbs.  Released them all for another day.  Weather was beautiful! Never have I seen that many folk on the ice! ;) -Barleydog

Jake- When are you wantin' to snag a burbot or two?  I'll drive if you don't have transport....
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:50 AM »
most of my nights are free, i just got out tonight...the bite picked up a bit from last time.  Josh got 6 and i got 3, but one is around 14 so i'm getting it weighed tommorrow.  Any night, other than thursdays.  And i might be doing something with a girl i'm kinda interested in one of these nights. ;)  I'll get her out on the ice before the season is over, she wants to go too.  But play by ear, i will know a day in advance, so call it and I should know.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2004, 02:32 AM »
here are some pics from tonight to get your plood pumping...

the big one shows her face

I got her now.

guessing 14 pounds, will know tommorrow. (12.42 lbs)

poping out

caught this about 30 seconds before i hooked the big one

first on i caught for the night, kinda small.

this one bit off more than it could chew, the lure is the same size as the fish.

this one had a big fat eel in it that was practically as long as the burbot, the tail was sticking out of its mouth..hit once and came back for a second round at the big jig, what a pig!

the eel that the burbot ate, half digested.

My buddy josh caught 6 i caught 3, here he is with various ones he caught tonight.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2004, 12:56 PM »
YOU DOG!  Friday night!  I am goin' and you better come!!!  No excuses like I gotta baby sit my friends parakeet!  The  biggin' is worth turning in for another certificate.  :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:07 PM »
i did this morning, turned out to be 12.42 :-[, my estimate was 12 on the ice, but i said 14 because someone else thought it was, gotta go with the biggest estimate ;D

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:12 PM »
their bellies were totally full of those audult lampereys,  gotta figure out how to catch them things for bait..the adults that is.  I can make it friday night i think, i get out of class 5 ish...I'm really sure i can make it. not a promice yet, I might be able to come up with a good excuse, but i figure homework wont cut it ;) ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2004, 02:12 PM »
No way man!!!!  Your going! ;D 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2004, 06:10 PM »
So where you fishing Friday night, might be able to make it if you don't mind another tagging along. Just got back to town and work :(.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2004, 01:27 AM »
its all right with me...the hole is definately big enough. you need 4-wheel drive to get to the spot, otherwise it could be a good half mile walk from where you park.

afro-on-ice

« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Howdy fellow fishers,
I'm heading up to Alaska with a friend from June 3rd too the 17th and staying in the Anchorage area.  I was just woundering if any of you had any suggestions for a "must do list" partaining to the outdoors while im up there?  I have never been to Alaska and I can't wait to get up there and expierience some of it for myself.  Do any of you know of any good Halibut charter or know of anyone who would be willing to take two 18 year olds out fishing for a day or two with us buying the bait or helpin out with some work?  We are flying up with his mom and are staying with some of his familly there and we were hoping to have a chance to catch some of the awesome Halibut that we've heard a ton about. 
Thanks a lot,
Keep on fishin!
Shawn
PS.  The icefishin down here in NY this year has been pretty good as far as panfish go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.