Author Topic: Lotsa Lookers...  (Read 2728 times)

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lotsa Lookers...
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:16 PM »
but not many takers. i can see the crappies come check out my jig on the fishfinder, but most of them just head back to the bottom. i've tried all different kinds of jigs, diff. colors, soft plastics, yum spray, tipping the jig with gulp waxies, real waxies, etc. but they seem to just leave. they'll come look at it, but that's about it. i do catch a few, but not near as many as those who just look at it. any advice?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Lotsa Lookers...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Are you switching up size as well? I like to run three different sized jigs...

First a dop a jigging rap (or that style) with a tipped treble (minnow head). See who come in for a look, if that does not work I will drop down to a small spoon like a forage minnow and slender spoon (smaller sizes), then it comes down to a bro blood worm, or gill pill, tipped with waxies, and I rotate through these, at the same time I rig a live bait set-up and hand it a few feet off the bottom on a buckshot spoon, or a eye dropper, this is the attraction, and occasional dead-stick, it sits next to me while i work the jig

I change the color of my waxies and minnow heads, more then the jigs, i find the jig gets me the size and shape of the presentation, and the waxie or minnow head is the target

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:40 PM »
thanks for the advice. yeah i change it up quite often. jiggin raps, ratso, gill pill, kastmaster, pimple, all different colors and sizes. i've been wondering if maybe it's a smell thing.. smell of gas some something from the auger on my hands getting on the lure. that's why i try the yum spray, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:15 AM »
I've been seeing the same thing lately... We'll be catching good, then they get fussy. I usually down size and instead of tipping my jigs with pinheads, I switch to spikes. I've also been playing keep away more and more. This seems to help the most. Yesterday, we were in 30 feet with fish at 26-24 feet. When they would come up to look I'd reel just fast enough that they couldn't catch it as they followed. I'd come up abou 4 feet and stop. Still had my share of fish fade away again, but my catch rate did go up...

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:01 AM »
i play keep away too. sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. at least for me. they'll chase it for a few feet and then lose interest.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Break out the secret weapon -

I like to tie on a dry fly about a foot above my regular bait.   I usually tie off of my swivel.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Give it a try,

Wiener

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2011, 01:00 PM »
that's an idea.. thank you.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Same thing happening to me. Figured it out though. Jig jig jig jig jig jig jig until they come in then right before they get on your jig let it sit perfectly still. I mean PERFECTLY still. If they dont take it right away, lift it up 2-3" real slowly jigging as you go, if they chase it up they will hit. If that one leaves you, drop back down to the bottom and start over.

Been catching em on black ratso no bait.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:49 AM »
What size line u using and is it laying straight. I had the same issue and switched out my line. I am currently using asso 4 lb hi vis and the lookers are turning into takers. The issue I think was the old line had set with some curls in it and the size jig would not straighten  it out also I have found instead of jigging i have moved it side to sde a bit and began to move the jig up slowly like it was trying to get away. I know its real frustrating when you see that big red mark right next to your jig and nuttin

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:20 AM »
light line makes for a nice clean natural presentation.

I change my line (mono and Flouro) every year.

Wiener

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:48 AM »
i'll give the sitting still technique a shot. see what happends..

i've got fresh 4lb. cajun line. lays down fine. i wonder if the line color might be turning them away.. (red). then again, i used the same line last year and the year before and didn't seem to have this problem.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:37 PM »
Lots of good tips. All things being equal, I would say what is being described is typical mid winter fishing. A lot of ponds and lakes have had ice for several weeks now, so there are a lot of changes taking place below. Also, the weather conditions can have a big effect on the aggressiveness (or lack of it) of the fish. We are getting a lot of fast moving systems here, causing the barometric pressue to fluctuate wildly. If I had a choice I would go out just in front of a low pressue system. I always do worst when a high brings a cold front just after a storm. Someone said this, but I would try 2lb line if you're not fishing in thick weeds.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:03 AM »
I usually have multiple rods rigged up when crappie fishing with different sizes, colors and styles of jigs on each. I prefer using jigs & plastics tipped with spikes and rarely use live minnows. That is pretty common behavior for crappies, to come right up to the bait and then leave. It helps fishing with a camera as some of these fish are actually biting but we're not feeling the hit. The problem I've had is I do most of my crappie fishing after dark and my camera is useless then. A few things that have worked for me with these fussy fish is when I see a fish on the Vexilar I always target the highest in the water column one first. They are usually the most aggressive. I jig non stop until the fish gets to the bait and then I hold it still for a second and then slowly raise it; one to feel if the fish has it and two to hopefully get him to follow it. If there is multiple fish on the screen I try to get between them to get the old competition thing heated up. I've noticed after dark that often early on the fish do more following and slowly get more aggressive.

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Tie on a 1 foot tippet of 2# clear line on and use it as you usually do.   The fish may be seeing your line.  I've been having the same problem and changed all my lines to straight 2# test and started catching fish again.  Plus the light weight line will get you bait to the bottom quicker.
sparky

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Tie on a 1 foot tippet of 2# clear line on and use it as you usually do.   The fish may be seeing your line.  I've been having the same problem and changed all my lines to straight 2# test and started catching fish again.  Plus the light weight line will get you bait to the bottom quicker.
Light clear straight line makes a major difference. Sometimes it's the knot used as well. A tight to the eye clinch(ish) type will sometimes hold firmly the presentation at an unacceptable angle for the fish. Maybe consider a surgeons loop to let it hang on its own. Also a very good knot for rod tapping or line tickling to allow the bait to jiggle/quiver in place without any type of drastic vertical movement

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.