Author Topic: Crappi Candle Review ..  (Read 4330 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Crappi Candle Review ..
« on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:00 AM »

Crappi Candle Review

This is a review of a relatively new product called the Crappi Candle. The Crappi Candle is a new fishing light  designed to slide freely along the line without resistance. This design allows the Crappi Candle to act as both a weight and light. The Crappi Candle allows fish to see at night or in dark water conditions to locate food. The light is available in white or green.

TESTING

Attaching the Crappi Candle was very simple. Thread the fishing line line through the “eye” on the cap and through two rubber straps. You can then attach your rigging.
You now remove the cap and install the battery. To turn the light on/off you simply tap the unit against your hand. That’s it ... you’re ready to go.
My first thoughts on the Crappi Candle were would it actually attract fish or would it spook the fish. So off I went to a local reservoir just before dark. I set up over a deep weed bed just as darkness came. I only stayed for a short while but managed to catch a few crappies. I went home happy and surprised.
On the ride home I thought could it be I spooked more fish than I actually caught ? Or did I attract the fish in the area ? I had no way of knowing. I thought about this for most of the week until I came up with a game plan.
The following weekend I met up with two friends for some pre dawn fishing. Each of them set up 4 tip ups and each had a jigging rod. I had my jigging rod set up for live bait and with the Crappi Candle attached to the line. By the time my buddies had set up I had a nice perch on the ice. About ten minutes later another nice perch and again this was among 8 tip ups with live bait. A few minutes later one of the tip ups yielded a nice perch and several minutes after that I had caught another.  Hmmm .. 10 lines to 1 and I had 3 perch to the 1. Now I was building some confidence in this light.
I managed to use this light and catch fish throughout the rest of the ice fishing season with positive results.
My set up was a live bait rod , spinning reel, 6 lb test line, Crappi Candle, snap swivel, a jig head and live bait.  It was simple and effective.

Conclusion :

I found the Crappi Candle to be another useful tool to catch fish out on the ice and I would assume it would work equally as well in open water. It definitely did not spook the fish but rather, I believe, attracted them. I also found the name Crappi Candle a bit misleading. Throughout the season I caught a variety of fish : crappie, perch, sunnies, pickerel and largemouth bass using it with live bait.
Another thing I found was I didn’t have to restrict it to night fishing. I used it to catch fish  on overcast days and it worked equally as well. I also tried the Crappi Candle on a dark water reservoir on a sunny day and again it had worked well.
The only negative comment I heard with the Crappi Candle was the inability to remove the light without retying. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal myself.
One other thing I did was to remove the battery when I was done fishing. I placed it in a small zip lock bag. The reason for this was bouncing around in a rod bag or bucket can set the light on and off .. depleting the battery life.
I hope this review gave members some insight into this new fishing light. I wish I had a working DVR to have been able to get some underwater footage but I did not so I took photo’s instead.

Doug >))))>

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Crappi Candle Review ..
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 12:22 PM »
great review, thanks!

what color lights did you use?  did you find one color more effective than another?

i bought a couple of these two weeks ago, but we've got no safe ice left here so i'll have to wait for spring fishing to try them.  looking forward to it...

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010, 03:12 PM »
great review, thanks!

what color lights did you use?  did you find one color more effective than another?

i bought a couple of these two weeks ago, but we've got no safe ice left here so i'll have to wait for spring fishing to try them.  looking forward to it...

You're welcome !

I was testing with the white lights. One thing I forgot to place in the review (I'll add now) was to remove the battery when you're done fishing. I placed mine in a small zip lock bag. Bouncing around in a rod bag or bucket can set the light on and off .. depleting the battery life.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline cerfur

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:29 AM »
Thanks I will pick some up for next season!
catching a fish while fishing is similar to making a baby during sex if it doesn't happen you still had a Darn good time

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2010, 09:18 AM »
i'm gonna have to get some now

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2010, 01:17 AM »

Where Do you get them?

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.