Author Topic: portable shanty  (Read 11948 times)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: portable shanty
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:39 AM »
I used the "tent" style shanty for years, until one fateful day on the small boat harbor here in Buffalo, the ice was thick clear ice and broke apart like shale when I tried to screw in the stakes. It took 2 guys 40 minutes to get it up, even then only got 2 stakes in. the next day I went out and bought a Frabill flip over. The only real problem I ever had with the "tent". Now that I have a flip over its alot different, no more chair freezing to the ice and all my gear in a pond of water if the heat is on. No more tripping out the door if I am enjoying a few adult beverages ;) Plus with the flip over you have a wind break for those windy days, no need to set up the "tent" in the wind. The only downfall to my switch is the loss of room :tipup:

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:46 AM »
well from the looks of the post i am  another odd ball but have to go with frabill. i have a xltwin flip over and it is great the only down fall is it is a little heavy but if i am walking more than 100 yards to fish than it is pulled with the Polaris but i can remove the seats and fish 4 guys out of it if need be plus with 2 guys it is spacious. the  material holds up great holds in the heat very well plus with the tow bar and trailing cover i have pulled it at 50 mph behind my snowmobile on big lakes and it tracks beautiful
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:19 AM »
I have a shappell 3000 and I love it. Sets up in about a minute and just as easy to take down. But everyone has their own preference. Good luck on your choice! :tipup:

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:58 AM »
I'll 2nd the vote for the Shappell 3000.  I have one and it's awesome!  Very lightweight and folds into a nice sled for carrying gear (get the skis).  It's advertised as a 3-man, but is much better with 2 guys.  Good luck!

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:21 PM »
Everyone that I know that has tried a flip-up vs. a suitcase style house prefers by far the flip-up.   To me it doesn't matter too much which brand - but when you compare style pros and cons - to me it isn't even close.   When I had my clam, I didn't like it very much - when I bought my Trap - I HATED my clam!
   You mentioned fishing for perch (which requires alot of moving) and Tip-ups (which require a quick exit from the house) -the suitcase or tent styles-  because they are not as easy to pull, set-up or get out of - don't seem to fit your needs very well.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:27 PM »
i just bought the shappell 6000 back pack blind and i love it. less thatn 1 minute to set up and take down. lots of room. good value for the money.
da splake chaser

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:52 PM »
i have a fishtrap pro and i love it.the wife has fishtrap scout.the pro has more room and fits my size better than the smaller scout.

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:13 PM »
Sold my Eskimo Quick Flip 2 because the way the bench mounted near the front corners of the sled, the weight of two 200lbs + guys was causing the front corners of the sled to crush. I received a replacement sled no problem but It was just a matter of time until it would have happened again so I sold it.
I also did not like the way the sled tipped forward when I leaned forward. I had to build up some snow under the front of the sled to avoid the tipping.
My Pro has been great. Awsome seat, superfast set-up, pulls easy and is stable on the ice. My only gripes would be that  for the price, the cover should be included, so should the anchors and the miniscule amount of coating material being saved allowing for the 'pin holes' is rediculous.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2008, 08:04 AM »
I fish mostly for perch and move alot. I purchased a Fishtrap Pro this year and love it!

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2008, 08:09 AM »
i have a viking portible and love it it is good sized and can fit four. it is a little heavy but on bare ice it goes great you can jig through th floor and can fit in a car. its only 150 brand new
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2008, 09:42 AM »
wher is the best place to buy a setup

i bought my setup at bass pro shops, and so did my fishing partner.  clam products are sold almost any sporting good store you go too.  of course some places can be higher priced than others stores.  in general trap scouts run from 160.00 on sale to 229.00.  pro's usually run 229.00 on sale and are normally 299.00.  guides 299.00 sale price to 349.00.  yukon's 399.00 sale price or 499.00 and finally the voyager runs around 459.00 sale price to about 579.00.  these are prices i have seen the past few years at bass pro shops.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Fish Trap Pro gets my vote.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:53 PM »
I am also a fan of Clam Corp products. I have had a Clam Jr. for 13 years and it has been a great shack, although its no longer in production. It lets two people fish real comfortably or if you just want a base of operations it will hold 3 or 4.

I just purchased a Fish Trap Scout today for times when i don't have the boy out out with me and i want to move around. The Clam Jr is great if you only plan on moving once or twice or want to remain stationary but its sort of a bear to pull in any real snow cover.

The Jr. is still in good shape so i am hopeful the Scout will give me as many years of service.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.