Author Topic: Eskimo Wide One ?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Wide One ?
« on: Oct 11, 2015, 07:47 AM »
Hey Guys - Anyone have the Eskimo Wide One Inferno? I'm really leaning towards this shack because of the price, fishing area, and even more so because it can be put into a wind position - I will use this a ton hole hopping.

My question - How well does this thing pull when you have gear in it? I want to be mobile, but also have enough room to put my stuff in the shack. Do the sled runners help? Thanks all!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo Wide One ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2015, 04:59 PM »
if looking for a ton of room look at the eskimo evo 1 or 2  you get a ton of room with those if looking to keep warm while hole hoping and move quick with out having to re-set up all the time.. then the eskimo wide one is the way to go.. i bet the wide one or evo 1 pulls similar to my frabill recon it light I have pulled my recon around with a 55# deep cycle battery in it fish finder & lighting system  and a ton of gear.. and it still pulled good...  only problem I had is the rope should have been longer for the pull handle maybe even a body harness that was weight down with excessive gear.. if you talking hy fax kit for the sled runners there more for like if your dragging across the ice with a atv or snow mobile...so you don't ware threw the sled...as for  fast now a smitty sled would greatly help but to lift it on and off of it would be worst then just dragging it by it self... the skirt of the shanty would not touch the ground form a smitty very easy unless you designed it just right... but you also want ground clearance for the smitty  so you see my point on the skirt not touching...  if your planning on going hyfax runners what about down hill skis pick them up a garage sales cut them off attach to bottom of sled  like hyfax or prop sled up like a smitty to clear snow banks? if not bring that much gear as I was  I would just go with a harness it should pull just fine...

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Hey Guys - Anyone have the Eskimo Wide One Inferno? I'm really leaning towards this shack because of the price, fishing area, and even more so because it can be put into a wind position - I will use this a ton hole hopping.

My question - How well does this thing pull when you have gear in it? I want to be mobile, but also have enough room to put my stuff in the shack. Do the sled runners help? Thanks all!

My questions exactly. I plan to get the Eskimo Wide One Inferno, too. I'm getting the hyfax runner kit and also the cover. I don't want the fabric dragging all the time. When moving hole to hole I won't cover it, but when headed out and back I'll tidy it up. It'll be nice for storage also. I drag by hand and if I need to I'll  slip my Smitty Sled under it. If gear storage is a problem I may go tandem and spread the load out .
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:36 PM »
if there isn't much snow I just pull the sled. Deeper snow I put the Wide One on my Smitty Sled and I pulls like a dream.
Sled only cost around $20 and takes down easily.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I did look at the Evo's, but for me, hole hopping quite a bit, I prefer the Wide One or a similar shack.

maddogg - Any chance you could post a link to the sled. For $20, I'm definitely interested if it helps making pulling easier.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2015, 10:13 AM »

maddogg - Any chance you could post a link to the sled. For $20, I'm definitely interested if it helps making pulling easier.

you have a lot of reading

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

NOTE ...14 -16 foot rope ...tie to front of skis to "lift" them as you drag ..keep the weight to the rear . I put the rop over my head and "push" with my arms .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I did look at the Evo's, but for me, hole hopping quite a bit, I prefer the Wide One or a similar shack.

that's what I was worried about the evo not working cause you run and gun but figure I would say it any how... I think hard water diehard put up a few link to the smitty sleds if not search it for sure smitty is a member on here that designed a easy pulling sled but it has it reasons to use it but it all in design and what you did and how you liked it.. made with garage sale down hill skies strapped to some sort of frame under your wide one inferno to sum it all up basically... total cost if you find skies cheap enough would be around $20...

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2015, 11:12 AM »
that's what I was worried about the evo not working cause you run and gun but figure I would say it any how... I think hard water diehard put up a few link to the smitty sleds if not search it for sure smitty is a member on here that designed a easy pulling sled but it has it reasons to use it but it all in design and what you did and how you liked it.. made with garage sale down hill skies strapped to some sort of frame under your wide one inferno to sum it all up basically... total cost if you find skies cheap enough would be around $20...

Yes, thank you, I almost pulled the trigger on the Evo right when it came out. I love the room it provides, I just want a bit more portability.

hardwater diehard - This is perfect, thank you for the link!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Do a quick search on YouTube, some guy did an excellent review on the Flip....

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2015, 01:46 AM »
i just ordered a wide 1 inferno today, can't wait to get it and put it together and maybe do some of the mods i have seen on youtube.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2015, 02:37 PM »
I have scoured the internet, but have not found anyone else that has done this, but I have a plan to do a mod involving the Wide 1 Inferno. I have a Frabill recon shuttle, and the sled is almost exactly the same as the sled in the Wide 1. I really like the integrated storage compartments in the recon shuttle, so I had thought of putting the Wide 1 tent cover on the Frabill Recon, then using the Eskimo swivel seat attached to the lid of a bucket, and use that as the seat pedestal. Has anyone seen something like this done before? The Frabill is 30.5 inches wide, while the Wide 1 sled is 32 inches wide. Other than that, the dimensions are the same. I would include pics, but I would need to photoshop together what I am thinking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.