Author Topic: Looking into next season...  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Looking into next season...
« on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:54 PM »
....I will be going cordless. Looking at the Porter-Cable 20V  PCC601LA (only 3.5 # and about $80 ) to turn my Strikemaster 6". Anyone see any issues with this unit/set-up ? May downsize to a 4" though. Thanks for the input.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking into next season...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Buy a Milwaukee hammer drill and upsize to 8"!!! 😁
I'd check the torque on that Bosch.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Buy a Milwaukee hammer drill and upsize to 8"!!! 😁
I'd check the torque on that Bosch.

Bosch?...which one were you referring? And how much torque is preferred? Thanks.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Bosch?...which one were you referring? And how much torque is preferred? Thanks.

Oops, Porter Cable.

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:04 AM »
My father has a 5 inch strikemaster lazer and a ryobi hammerdrill with a 4 amp hour battery using the icemaster conversion kit.  It cuts right throuch the ice effortlessly.  There is more torque using a 7 inch lazer on that set up.  You should not have any major issues using the 6 inch lazer.  I personally do not like the wah the strikemaster moras cut.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:26 AM »
My father has a 5 inch strikemaster lazer and a ryobi hammerdrill with a 4 amp hour battery using the icemaster conversion kit.  It cuts right throuch the ice effortlessly.  There is more torque using a 7 inch lazer on that set up.  You should not have any major issues using the 6 inch lazer.  I personally do not like the wah the strikemaster moras cut.

Mine is a lazer as well. I have been doing some research and I am seriously looking at the Bosch 18V (DDS181AB). It churns out 600 in/lb. of torque and only weighs 2.8#. I will be getting the 4" S.M. lazer to accompany it. A light setup that I can run with one hand while carrying my locator and rod in the other when running/gunning. Also looked at the Hitachi 18V (DS18DGL) that came in at 3.7#.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:45 AM »
i used to use my still working 24 volt 500 inch pound ridgid hammer drill on my 6 inch lazer. the batteries are of the old materials used so it is retired altho i can still get them for free.
having enough amps to keep the drills power up to par is key also. 4 amps works fine. i am using the same auger but turning it it with a ridgid 780 inch pound brushed drill. it will turn a 7 inch too, but 6 inch is fine.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:52 PM »
I've had good luck with a Dewalt DCD996 with a XR5AH battery, and an Ice Master 8".  I keep a back up battery in a heated/insulated bag but never had to use it.  No problem with drilling - it will out last my moves.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.