Author Topic: Wabamun  (Read 2604 times)

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wabamun
« on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:46 AM »
  To all the armchair biologists who keep saying that Walleye stalking has killed the Pike population I say no!  When I worked at Wholesale in 1991 all the armchair bios were crying that Pigeon was dead! There were no Walleye or pike left. The lack of Walleye was the concern. Fisheries bios came in the store so I asked what they thought of this. They told me they test netted a creek during spawn and not only were the numbers pretty good they caught a 13 lb Walleye and a 37 lb Pike. Their conclusion was people weren't able to catch them. Due to massive pressure at the time Walleye were stalked. Now everybody complains that the Walleye stalking killed the other fish. BS. Most of the Walleye stocked in Alberta come from Bistcho lake. If you know Bistcho you know that its a Walleye factory and great year classes. Coincidently the Pike fishing is phenomenal. Joe Nelson was a prof of mine at U of A. He was known to be the leading ichthyologist and co author of The fishes of Alberta. He used to say to me in conversation that these fish have coexisted from long before man was here and will when were gone. I know this next statement will draw fire but thats ok its only the people who can' t admit their role. Too many people catching too many fish is the cause of imbalance in our lakes. I know a lot of people watch Uncut Angling and Clayton and Fishgeeks. If you notice they carefully handle and release the big ones. Most anglers in Alberta do the opposite they kill the big ones and throw back the little ones. Or they overhandle the fish and release it to die soon after. One of the all time great fly fisherman Lee Wulff said " a trout is too valuable a resource to only be caught once"!  I would say that applies to all fish. I caught and released a 25+ lb pike at Wabamun on Monday and released it quickly and healthy and hope someone whos never caught a fish that size gets an opportunity to do the same and someone after that!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wabamun
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Hey #1, agree totally.  I'm not a biologist and especially not an armchair one but when I hear "Walleye are eating all the whitefish eggs" <- another good fairy tale, I laugh and laugh and laugh.  Common sense is not common apparently.  Of course the slightly more believable one is that walleye and pike, plus other species, compete for the same or similar food source, e.g. minnows and other prey species.  So I can see some competition there...maybe... but not the catalyst.  I totally agree it is anglers.  Let's take Gull Lake, now zero limit for pike and  once a shining star, and still will be again.  Where are the "walleye hoards" that wiped out the pike?  Too funny.  3 over 63 cm did it along with a daily mass of hundreds to thousands of anglers following that reg.  Of course then you have the camp that it is the bios and F&W to blame (aka government) for setting those limits in the first place.  I guess a lot of people need to be governed closely since they cannot decide for themselves on what the best choice is. 

Also, I grew up going to the Nelson's a few times a year.  Joseph was always a very cool and interesting person to me.  A real gem and is still missed today.  My mom remains best friends with Claudine.

Oh, and congrats on the great catch at Wab!  Totally awesome!

Cheers!

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Hey Snap you're right common sense needs to prevail. 20+ lb pike eat 4-5 lb Walleye so who is the bigger threat?  Thats àwesome you got to spend time with Joe  like that I'm sure he fed you some real nuggets of info over time. Pike are the top predator and the only real threat to them is a more apex predator, loaded with advantages like sonar, cameras and knowledge that our generation had to gleen over many years at their fingertips.  The only way we can improve our fishing is hy letting all big fish(especially Perch) go. Walleye tags are a money grab and nothing but. Slots can be effective but only with a balanced approach. As for trophy fishing graphite reproductions are as affordable as the old way now. Take pics from different angles quickly and release. Your trophy can be someone elses trophy and so on.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:14 AM »
        Well good on you for releasing a big pike.  Sadly a lot of people are better at yapping about throwing the big ones back then they are at actually doing it.  I've seen it just far to often to believe otherwise.  Throwing the big ones back is not a new concept but before you go patting our biologists on the back how about you take a quick peak in the regulations and maybe tell me how much importance they place on it.  I see a lot of "1 over" regs, pretty sure you will see the same.

Of course then you have the camp that it is the bios and F&W to blame (aka government) for setting those limits in the first place.  I guess a lot of people need to be governed closely since they cannot decide for themselves on what the best choice is. 

No to many can't, I see it all the time, and anyone that doesn't believe the biologists have missed the mark by allowing the legal retention of big spawner fish,  well I've got some ocean front property in Saskatchewan for you lol.  I mean cmon... 

You guys believe in the concept but don't believe it should be regulated?

Yes the walleye have thrown fisheries out of balance.  There was an article submitted by an alberta biologist to A.O.  a couple years back where they admitted as much and also admitted it has been a learning experience for them.  Walleye and pike have coexisted naturally in CERTAIN lakes for years, but introducing walleye into every lake where pike exist doesn't always work, and frankly seeing what has happened to some lakes is it worth it? 

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Shrubs, I'm certainly not saying no regulations.  I'm pointing out the aholes that constantly blame anything but themselves.  Whether it is the Govnt, bios or another fish.  I hear it all the time.  Just plain ignorance really.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2019, 10:45 AM »
I,,'m certainly not a fan of fisheries mangement dont make that mistake.  Since we have so few enforcement officers it really comes down to us is my message. I agree 100% with Snap just because the regs say you can doesnt mean you have to. Introducing a species doesnt make that kind of an impact sorry it just doesnt. In the mid 80s Walleye were stocked in Wabamun in 3 short years i caught a 7.5 lb beauty. A scale sample revealed it was only 3 years old. That phenominal growth rate was due to the then existing power plant at town. Regularily in that creek i would see pike in the 20-30 lb class no problem. The biggest threat to them at that time was not Walleye which are not a threat regardless. It was bowfisherman and a couple guys who spear fished everyday and took lots of the big ones out. There was also a poaching ring that would go at night and drag a multi hooked heavy line across the creek snagging anything that got to close. Again the fish take care of themselves it is we the anglers that need to do our part. If that concept is to hard tograsp right now wait another ten years and you wont be able to deny it.
Clark Gable

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:30 PM »
We are our own worst enemy, no doubt.

Mindsets are changing, albeit slowly.  Time will tell.

The big fish are still there, just need to find them.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:18 PM »
           I picked up Barry Mitchells fishing guide and was scrolling through the lakes and hit Seibert.  "Adult pike nearly extirpated."  Now I haven't fished Seibert in a number of years and can't confirm by personal account if this is true or not.  I believe that that the netting the biologists do is flawed at best so it's hard to put a lot of trust in it imho.

Would anyone like to chime in on how Seibert is doing?  This is a lake our biologists managed as a "trophy lake" for as long as I remember.  The only fish you could keep was a big female over a meter long.  As mentioned it's been a while but I remember catching lots of little walleye in the early 2000's along with the pike and I see that it has gone partially through the circle from a "1 over" regulation to a tag system.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.