Author Topic: Whats good bait for Antero?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline FreezerBurn

• IceShanty Rookie
Whats good bait for Antero?
« on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Can I get some suggestions on what bait is best for Antero?

I went last weekend and used different colored wieghted jigs tipped with meal worms and did not even get a bite!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Re: Whats good bait for Antero?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Find 10 FOW, preferably near the edge of the weed beds on either side of the lake, far away from the crowds which means you'll have to hike a bit.  Just stay out of the tall weeds that go almost to he surface.  Once you find that spot, rat finkees, ratsos and shrimpos work for small jigs.  I like paddlebugs, crappie critters and small berkely tube jigs.  I tip all of these with the Gulp products, that way I don't have to worry about using or losing live bait.  The earthworms, mealies and waxies all work well.  I tip the crappie critter and paddlebugs with two mealies or waxies so that they beat against each other when I jig. If I use a worm, I use a whole one and leave the narrow end dangling - drives 'em nuts.  Use some kind of scent to mask your odor.  I like smelly jelly but it's oily and blocks your vision in the hole.  Nitro grease is good but I really like the Berkely Power Dips, in either garlic or roe scent, as long as the color somewhat matches my jig color.

Antero is also a jigging lake, not much of a deadstick lake.  If the action is slow I'll jig my plastic every 30 seconds to give it some motion while I'm slowly bouncing a kasty off the bottom.  Don't overdo the kasty, try it for a few minutes and then rest it.  Throw in a second plastic jig. 

This should get you sarted on the right track.  There are a lot of fish in that lake.  You'll get your share of them before you know it.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whats good bait for Antero?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:46 PM »
I already wrote on the other Antero thread so I won't go into detail but I grew up fishing Antero.  One very subtle jigging technique I remember as a kid was to leave a little ice in your hole not a whole lot to make a mess but just don't scoop it all out.  Then take your scoop and move it up and down a lot in the water so that the water in your hole is moving up and down.  If you have a spring bobber you'll see it moving up and down with the water moving in your hole.  Do that every 5-10 minutes or so.  It is so subtle but it used to work for us.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.