Author Topic: Berkley Gulp Alive for Lakers?  (Read 9496 times)

Offline DoveMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Berkley Gulp Alive for Lakers?
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Hey lake trout guru guys - saw the thread on the main board with Gulp Alive and was wondering if you have had any luck with it?
We can't use live minnows or gamefish parts for bait in my state, so I was wondering if this would be an acceptable substitute. I thought jigging for sure, but we can have 5 lines out, so does anyone think this stuff would work on a tip-up for lakers?

Frozen smelt/herring is not locally available either, so I'm looking for any good options to utilize all my possible lines.

Thanks.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
Re: Berkley Gulp Alive for Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Don't give up on frozen smelt - look in your frozen seafood dept. at your grocery store or at a fish market - they often times carry frozen, cleaned smelt - they should work for lakers.   :tipup:

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:16 AM »
Gulp and the other Berkley powerbaits have a time and a place.

I use them more as an attractor because of the large amount of scent that they give off.

If the trout are a little picky, just cut a small piece of the gulp and put it on before your live bait.

That gives you the best of both worlds.

Lots of scent to help draw the fish in, and something that they are used to when they get to your area.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Can you use dead bait?  If so lakers like to eat dead bait readily.  A dead shiner or minnow will catch em up.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:44 PM »
I know a guy who slammed Lakers on the Berkley gulp 4-5 inch long smelt scented baits.   ::)

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:26 AM »
Put this stuff on your jig

http://www.pro-cure.com/
Jig em up!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:46 PM »
never tried them till this year and have had one the best seasons ever with them.  i have put a jig on i have used in the past that has worked well for me on one pole and a gulp on the other, the lakers go straight for the gulp and slam it.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Put this stuff on your jig

http://www.pro-cure.com/

x2 - the "smelt scent"

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:47 PM »
i use a big 3/4 oz. swedish pimple with a berkely gulp alive fish fry, just one on the hook. its looks so good in the water. i have great success around the bays on eastern lake michigan. i fish 90-100 ft. and the lakers are so aggressive. when i mark them on my vexilar i play a keep away game and actually reel it away from the fish and 9 out of 10 times he will aggressively chase and hit. good luck.
eat, sleep, fish

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:46 PM »
the lakers are so aggressive. when i mark them on my vexilar i play a keep away game and actually reel it away from the fish and 9 out of 10 times he will aggressively chase and hit. good luck.

:thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Any links to what these Berkley Gulp things looks like? You have me interested, you probably all work for them, hahaha

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:08 PM »
http://www.texasbasstackle.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1159

this is what i use and a big swedish pimple. but i think well at least where i fish you dont even really need them. they are real aggressive fish.
eat, sleep, fish

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:23 PM »
I have better luck with the berkley gulp alive smelt then the real smelt ! I use the big container, I set it in a corner and I just drop the jig back in the container to recharge the scent ! Great product and a heck of a lot easier and cheaper then buying real smelt at $9 to as much as $11 during peak season and no worries of changing water !
Here is the link to the gulp site.  www.berkley-fishing.com/products/soft-bait/gulp-alive

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:40 PM »
i use a big 3/4 oz. swedish pimple with a berkely gulp alive fish fry, just one on the hook. its looks so good in the water. i have great success around the bays on eastern lake michigan. i fish 90-100 ft. and the lakers are so aggressive. when i mark them on my vexilar i play a keep away game and actually reel it away from the fish and 9 out of 10 times he will aggressively chase and hit. good luck.

How do you put the Fish Fry on your hook? DIRTBALL2 ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:10 PM »
i just hook it at the head of the bait. i only use one on my pimple. when you jig it, it looks so good in the water.
eat, sleep, fish

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Don't give up on frozen smelt - look in your frozen seafood dept. at your grocery store or at a fish market - they often times carry frozen, cleaned smelt - they should work for lakers.   :tipup:

Sorry, but, that's illegal in NY. Can't use bait meant for human consumption. Check the regs.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:06 PM »
I certainly would use big night-crawlers as bait.  Maybe there are other baits that are allowed such as a frozen minnow or maybe pork rind that has soaked in some fish attractant.

I am not much of an officiando of using artificial baits but from what I have read, Gulp Alive does have many fans.

I catch a lot of brook trout on flutter spoons, jigging raps, and other such lures.  I do not add bait to those lures.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:53 AM »
Sorry, but, that's illegal in NY. Can't use bait meant for human consumption. Check the regs.
What if it fell on the floor and is no longer considered fit for human consumption?  :whistle:

* j/k, obey the regs!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.