Author Topic: Look out Icegator!  (Read 3130 times)

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Look out Icegator!
« on: Mar 15, 2011, 05:24 AM »
After several days of coming home and having to sleep on a heating pad because my shoulders hurt so bad, I decided it was time to build a "homemade" cordless power head.  Started with a $50 craigslist 18V dewalt drill w/o batteries, two 7.5ah batteries scavanged out of UPS's (computer back up power supply), some scrap aluminum, kids bike handlebars, and some miscellaneous hardware and I came up with this.  I named it "Ice Devil" ;D ;D  

*Disclaimer*- This is a home built project and Looney Toons nor the Tasmanian devil have any association what so ever.

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
Re: Look out Icegator!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:08 AM »
NICE I also use a dill not set up like yours but I do love it no gas and light and you can use it around the house on the honey do list during the off season nice job again  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2011, 10:00 AM »
Nice build, please post a video, would love to see in action

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Nice build, please post a video, would love to see in action

I have a 5 gal bucket of water freezing in the deep freeze right now. LOL. Ice is gone here, have to wait untill next year to really test it out.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2011, 10:40 PM »
it will be interesting to see it work.  i fiddled with all sorts of different hand drill combos only to find they didn't have enough oomph to drill more than a dozen holes...obviously the two 7.5 ah sla's will help with that, but it may still be a problem.  the case is cool as hell though kudos on the ability to weld aluminum.  the only other problem i see is the chuck out of the bottom...how many stories have you heard on here about guys losing the auger out of the chuck of the drill...don't know how you would fix that one.  cool design though...i find it fun to fiddle.  drives my wife nuts, urntil she sees the final product.  i have been thinking about maybe getting a bigger motor with a chain sprocket and scavaging a drive sprocket off an old bike i have.  if you weld the bigger sprocket  to your shaft and run them though bearings to get the right rpm to gear reduction...i think i could tim taylor this bich and drive a 10" hole through if i wanted!  but we'll see...need to get back to work so i can afford fiddlin supplies on ebay!

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:43 PM »
What the heck, no heated grips???   Just kidding, very nice build.  Would also love to see a video or two of her in action.  Keep us posted.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:45 PM »
THAT is AWESOME!!! 

Took alot of work, but wow, what a finished, polished product.

nice job!

Offline Kickinthebass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Really nice!  Sweet welds.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Finally got on some ice and got to try the ice devil out.  She worked pretty good. Drilled 31 holes with a 7" lazer bit though 5" of ice in total.  The batteries could have drilled more but wanted to fish ;).  Only problems are the adaptor is a little loose which causes the auger to wobble a little and it acted like a typical lazer and would get hung up right before it cut through the last bit of ice.  I have this same problem when drilling by hand.  Here's a video of her in action.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:59 AM »
nice....looking good!

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:13 AM »
Very innovative... I like the look of the Ice Devil, looks like it has a personality. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:22 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Was your lazer blades sharp?  It looked like you had good RPM, but it took forever to get through 5 inches of ice. Great job on a home made auger though.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Was your lazer blades sharp?  It looked like you had good RPM, but it took forever to get through 5 inches of ice. Great job on a home made auger though.
I'm pretty sure the issue is with the loose connection between the drill adaptor and the auger.  It wobbled so bad it made the 7" hole more like a 8" hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.