Author Topic: All nighter  (Read 6126 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
All nighter
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Im thinking about staying all night in the shanty and fish, and bring out a cot, some warm blankets, and a heater, and fish all night if i dont fall asleep. Has anyone else done such a thing, or am i just crazy? ;D

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
Re: All nighter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:38 PM »
Im thinking about staying all night in the shanty and fish, and bring out a cot, some warm blankets, and a heater, and fish all night if i dont fall asleep. Has anyone else done such a thing, or am i just crazy? ;D

do it all the time, acutlly built a shanty wit fold out bunks. w

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Slept out on the Ice in a lawn chair once.... I find shanties with heaters, to be a little more comfy though.... ;)

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:43 PM »
carbon monoxide?  just the thought keeps me awake on the ice. 
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Sound like it would be alot of fun and i have always wanted to do it.

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:16 PM »
I set up a small tent on shore and sleep in that if i need to sleep.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:01 PM »
yep did it 3 times now the sleeping bag doesnt keep u warm o nthe ice when theres no snow to insulate you a lawn chair works alright i guess 

the biggest problem i have with sleeping on the ice is i always want to fish all night even when theres nothing to fish for in the dark

carbon monoxide yeah the one night i think i passed out from carbon monoxide not from being tired
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:20 AM »
you really need a shack thats set up for it. outside vented heater or a wood stove. then it is doable

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:40 AM »
In Ontario it is quite common. Lake Nipissing & Lake Temagami areas have operators who specialize in renting overnight huts. Huts are heated with bunks, cooking areas, tables ect. Some also have TV's & BBQ's.
I have pic's from a few years ago that I will attempt to post later today. I have to scan them first.

Best Wishes

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2005, 04:11 AM »
I've done it a number of times.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:28 AM »
Haven't done it yet, but I will be this year in the new shack.  I personally can't wait!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:38 AM »
Done it 3 times in my fish trap, Fishingking was there too, in his shappelle. None of us really slept, just kept fishing all night.    Drank alot of redbull and beer.  Went through a bunch of propane for the heater and lantern. Ice fishing for 24hrs straight :cookoo:. Leave it to stupid college kids ;D  We were holding our spots for a fishing derby.  Its fun, but I really don't plan on doing it again unless I put out a permanent shack at some point.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:31 AM »
done it in minnesota will give er a try when my shack is done gonna put in some fold down bunks
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:40 AM »
carbon monoxide?  just the thought keeps me awake on the ice. 

Open the vents, plus if ya have the Buddy it has an auto turn off for low oxygen if I recall correct...

Drank alot of redbull and beer.

Wwweephhh...  I think I'd have a lot of gut-rot after drinking both of those... I guess for me it'd have to be one or the other.  Then again - too much red bull and I'd be too wired, too many ML's and I'd be too buzzed!!! I guess we don't live in a perfect world for beverages out on the ice!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:50 AM »
We have retired guys up here in MN, that live in their fish house the majority of the winter.  Dominoe's delivers on Mille Lacs.  I have slept in the shack many times, but I still get a little freaked when the ice pops. 

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Did it once before a derby to grab a good spot it was early ice and the ice was making up  there was snapping and cracking  and long thunderous rumble cracks You'd lay there listening and one would come right under the shack. Yea nobody slept  and we ran out of Beer

Offline fishhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • EAT-SLEEP-FISH
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:17 PM »
do it every year for the winni derby propane heat never had a problem

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:21 PM »
We have an overnight hut rented for 1/28 and 1/29 on Lake Simcoe.
Can't wait.
Mac

Mac, that sounds like a blast.  Have you done this before?  I live down here in the south where the ice options are a bit limited and something like that sounds like a perfect winter getaway.  The mrs. might have another opinion, but I would be curious to know how something like that works.

Offline blue98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:23 PM »
Hey Mac, who are renting with and what part of simcoe? I usually make 3-4 trips a year, ice is forming good in cooks bay so hopefully around x-mas i can get out there. also form the buffalo area

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2005, 05:01 PM »
I've got a clam 5600, do you think this is good enough for an all nighter?

Offline sqwerty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:49 PM »
i sleep in my shack in Wi pretty much every weekend you can drive on the ice....got a heated shack and its much safer to sleep out there than drive home with too many beers under your belt...you have to have a properly vented heater though...i work for a natural gas company and I check CO levels in the shack with a $1500 piece of equipment so i feel really safe...the $35 models will help but may give a few false positives but generally will be over protective rather than under...the greatest thing about sleeping in a shack is that I can drive an hour or three and stay there all weekend and not have to waist money driving home every night!!!

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:50 PM »
If i were to pull a all nighter, it would have to be in a hardside, witrh a nice woodstove. I would be scared in one of those little tarp shacks.

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:03 AM »
Call me a wussass or what ever but i would not sleep in my portable.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:11 PM »
 :D  lol go ahead i got broad shoulders ... what ever makes ya feel like the big man ...lmfao have been called worse ...  with the coming of ice i can hide the bodies  in more places.ohhh is this my 100 post...

Where is the ice !!!!

hali-man

« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Drank alot of redbull and beer.  Went through a bunch of propane for the heater and lantern. Ice fishing for 24hrs straight.

Ever try Red Bull and Vodka? Now, that will keep ya goin!

I have never slept on the ice and don't intend to. I did enough snow-camping and hiking in my younger years to last a life time. It would be cool to roll out of the bunk and drop a line, though.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:45 PM »
Well i'll try it once, and if not a very compfortable experiance, i wont do it again ;)

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:22 PM »
We have retired guys up here in MN, that live in their fish house the majority of the winter.  Dominoe's delivers on Mille Lacs.  I have slept in the shack many times, but I still get a little freaked when the ice pops. 

Do they have an out house? ::)
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:25 PM »
Oops, hit post before I was done.  I meant to say:

Do the have an outhouse?  I don't think a 5 gallon pail will last the winter ::)
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline icemonster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2005, 10:57 PM »
Here in WY it is common for people to pull there travel trailers out and stay for the night or longer. Almost everyone uses tip ups. (6 allowed). I usually watch movies or football until I get a flag and then hop on the four wheeler to go get it. When the action heats up you can go try actively jigging.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:59 PM »
I have spent many a night catching burbot with cat naps in between when I got tired. Just rolled out my ensolite pad and sleeping bag. Slept in my clothes. I can sleep thru anything so the cracking ice was no big deal.
Also coldest I slept in was -37 but I had a fold out cot to help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.