Author Topic: Unsafe ice conditions on Lake Of The Woods  (Read 911 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Unsafe ice conditions on Lake Of The Woods
« on: Dec 24, 2011, 06:37 AM »
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/224650/group/homepage/  Very unusual conditions, so check before you go out!! There is no such thing as safe ice!!! This has been a weird winter for ice this year. Check before you go!!! :%$#!:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Re: Unsafe ice conditions on Lake Of The Woods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2011, 07:42 AM »
That's a big heads up to folks in that area, I hope they take heed.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:27 AM »
That's a big heads up to folks in that area, I hope they take heed.

That's for anyone and everyone headed out to ice fish anywhere!! If it can happen way up there and on Mille Lacs, it can happen anywhere. I hope eveyone has a SAFE Holiday Season And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:33 AM »
That's the scary thing about fishing big water, the lakes I have been on are 500 acre or less and have very even ice. The big lakes around me 3,000 - 5,000 aces can have shore ice and bays with 8"-9" but out in the middle of the lake only maybe 2" of ice. Every year idiots from out of state come up here for the christmas/ new years holidays and end up falling through with there snowmobile or pick up truck, they think because the lake is froze over we have had ice for weeks, not so. Same thing every year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.