Author Topic: Best all around ice fishing sonar?  (Read 13223 times)

#1perchguy

Best all around ice fishing sonar?
« on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:05 PM »
i have been looking into sonars and have been wondering what the best sonar for the money is? i would like some examples.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
Re: Best all around ice fishing sonar?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:10 PM »
You are going to get a million answers, and there is a million threads on this already..Any flasher/sonar  is better than none..I don't know what your price range is either.  So many different features that you will be best to research each one.

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:10 PM »
here we go again........MM

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:12 PM »
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline iceman0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:18 PM »
 @ :icefish:)

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Well, I guess i'll start.  HumminBird Ice-55.  (there is a section dedicated solely to electronics by the way.)

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again,

As far as what the best flasher is, it is which ever one you own and know how to use.  But of course that's just my opinion.

Beyond that, it's all just .

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Which ever one that each individal likes to use is the best one for them.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:07 PM »
I like the Marcum products (I use a Showdown), but it is what you prefer that will make it the best for you. Don't leave out the use of an underwater camera in that you can watch the fish and see all that is going on beneath you. If you've got the time before making a purchase go out on the lakes and see if other peop's will let you watch their sonar work, and see how it works realtime

#1perchguy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:11 PM »
i totally understand were you guys are coming from. i have some buddies who have sonars, so i will look into them. good luck ice fishing!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:34 PM »
i have been looking into sonars and have been wondering what the best sonar for the money is? i would like some examples.
I found the best to be having two.. one pocket sized handheld sonar for contouring and mapping depth while drilling and a stronger higher powered fishfinder for jigging such as the showdown which will show me what if anything is near my jig.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Just buy a regular flasher get the cheapest one you can find they are all pretty much the same.  The biggest difference between an FL-8 and an FL-22 is the price.  There isn't much of a difference between the different brands.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:01 PM »
ice-35....... :-X :unsure: Please dont kill me      ;D

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:10 PM »

X2. Used it all day today! I love it!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Lowrance icemachines :D

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Just buy a regular flasher get the cheapest one you can find they are all pretty much the same.  The biggest difference between an FL-8 and an FL-22 is the price.  There isn't much of a difference between the different brands.
  You are correct that their isn't much difference between a fl-8 and a fl-20 except bottom lock.  Big difference between vex fl-20 and marcum anything.   Seriously  not bashing vex they had their time.  Check out Marcum or bird if you want the most machine for your money.  I liken it to American car companies in the 80's.  they never had to change until the Japanese car makers made them.......  I know of no one who will stand up and say they loved the chevette now.  Know plenty of people who still love those original civics.  And if it matters Marcum manufactures state side.  Not sure of the birds but I think so.......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:55 PM »
I understand where you are coming from - buying a flasher was one of the most confusing purchases I ever imagined.  I would finally make up my mind on one or another and then someone online would trash it because they liked another brand better.  Guess what! The other day  I put mine side by side with other name brand and there wasn't a dimes worth of difference.  The amazing difference on the ice though is how much they take away a lot of the guess work i.e. how deep, are there any fish, are they active, how are they responding to my presentation, should I go home?   I am catching fish I didn't even have a clue about before and I just ate a bunch of sneaky light-biting perch for dinner.  So just compare and decide - then go fish.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I have a Vexilar FL-8 and I have caught a BUNCH of fish with it. That being said my next sonar unit will be a Marcum. Like a previous shanty member stated "more bang for your buck". I will keep my FL-8 for a backup and also to have when fishing with a friend, my son, or my girlfriend! I have no problem with whatever unit/brand someone chooses. If they practice with it and believe in it they are a great tool that will help any angler catch more fish. My Vex is my single most important piece if icefishing equipment and for sure has been a big reason for me loving getting out on the ice!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Getting a flasher with zoom is a good idea.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:25 PM »
I also have a ice 35.  Love it.  I think it is a very good flasher for under $300.  I do like the multi-color flasher that are able to distinguish the strength of the signals. 

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:26 PM »
My name says it all......MM

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:29 PM »
I am a bird man, but honestly, if you are just looking to get a flasher and don't want to spend a fortune on your fist one, pick up a used fl-8.  Should be able to get it for about half price, it will last your for years and years, but if you want to upgrade, you will get your money back out of the fl-8.  I went this approach and actually turned around and sold my fl-8 for more than I bought it for. 

Offline Blitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Used a showdown last year and it was a good unit. Have my HDS5 ready this year, just need some ice.

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Really enjoying the showdown 5.6 dual beam   it's phenomenal to go from no electronics to owning a unit  :icefish:

> from cutting a hole and checking fish activity levels (or lack thereof) below is a priceless benefit
  > watching fish rise or lower to your jig leaves you stunned as to why you waited so long to drop hundreds of dollars  :'(

Took a friend and his two boys out tonight to a lake recently stocked with trout and the boys could watch the fish
   (represented by a solid line) rise or lower to the jig and they were instantly prepared to set the hook - PRICELESS
   It was their first time on ice and needless to say my invitation to fish and $350 spent on electronics was their ticket
   to fun.

PS  if you're a dude and your mama passed on the genes for color-blindness, a flasher unit may just make you crazy !!
         :cookoo:

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2011, 11:46 PM »

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2011, 11:57 PM »
I also own an fl8...it does the job...tells me I'm standing on ice and how deep the soft stuff is underneath and whether or not I should leave to find fish...my "chevette" gets me to the party we don't need no stinkin civic ;)...but if I was to buy another one today it would be a marcum lx5...but shhhh don't tell marcum man lol

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Personally, I considered where I fish. Most areas I fish are no deeper than 30-40 feet of water so for me, the FL-8 was ideal.  Didn't need the zoom and other bells and wistles and the price was right.  What ever you conditions are, maybe match the need to the conditions if that makes sense.  Good fishing.

Offline stanmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:57 AM »
The Showdown Troller is another entry level unit that performs very well. They go for about $200.00. They run off Double A batteries and it can fit in your pocket. You can later opt for a performance pack and 12v battery if you wish. It does work a little better on the big battery. I won't say it's the best, but it gets me on as many fish as anyone around me with units twice and three times the cost. Remember, all they do is give depth readings and mark fish and structure. I feel they are essential to find fish, but you still have to catch them. Put the extra money into other tackle that will help you with that. The extra couple hundred dollars can put you in a shanty, buy a nice auger, or allow you to darn near pick up anything else you want or need.
I guess I'm just agreeing with the idea of not having to spend a lot on the "best" unit out there.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Nowdays most flashers are pretty much equal in quality. Just that for me Vexilars are a little more equal than the rest ...  :angel

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.