Author Topic: Your best tip  (Read 92397 times)

Offline jiggin617

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
Re: Your best tip
« Reply #270 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Warm clothes, flasher, open mind, and good company.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #271 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:16 PM »
This is an awesome thread for a Noob like me. Thanks all

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #272 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Have  fun, keep learning, introduce someone to the sport

Take a kid or 2.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #273 on: Feb 16, 2013, 04:20 AM »
Excellent picture!

WS

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #274 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:26 AM »
cool picture

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #275 on: Mar 06, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Don't forget the beer

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #276 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:36 AM »
just because people are crowded around in one area doesent mean their getting them

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #277 on: Mar 10, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Great pic.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Mar 11, 2013, 04:45 AM »
Tight fitting boots = cold feet.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #279 on: Mar 13, 2013, 08:32 PM »
make sure your tip ups got bait on them
what is and what should never be

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2013, 06:14 AM »

keep moving don't waste time on mud monsters , find some biters

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #281 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:46 PM »
Good old tips and tricks thread.

If you deadstick, lanyard/leash your pole.  Never know when a big fish will take it down the ice hole.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #282 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:48 PM »
Prevent your jig from spinning by any means necessary.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #283 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:39 PM »
buy any kind of sonar, no matter what kind of rod, reel, line, or jig you have; you can't catch fish if you're not on top of fish. a sonar makes the job of finding them vastly easier.

other than that: a dead rod a couple of feet from the hole you're jigging in will often catch the fish that don't commit to whatever you're jigging; if you're not catching fish, MOVE! sometimes 100 feet, sometimes 100 yards, don't stop at a spot unless you know there are fish there; lastly, bring lots of drinks and snacks. especially salty chips and gatorade/powerade, you're in a very hash environment and it is exhausting. lots of electrolytes will help keep your energy level up, and will help you stay hydrated-if you stay hydrated and energized, you'll stay warmer longer, staying warmer means you're more comfortable and less prone to frustration, which means you'll catch more fish.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #284 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:49 PM »
When you're changing your blades on a power auger add a drop of the removable (blue) Lock-Tight to the bolt threads for extra protection from them coming loose from the vibration of running.  I had them come loose once even thought I tightened them down, that won't happen again.  Also check all your bolts and nuts especially where the bit attaches to the auger shaft, that bolt will also work it's way loose over time. 

Offline madman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Don't set up camp if you don't mark fish, bring toilet paper and last but not least just enjoy your time on the ice in the great outdoors.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #286 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Always very important to check you Bolt and Nuts!  Also, if you have a bigger / heavier partner, let them walk first!  Good tip right there!  Seriously, always carry a rope  and ice picks too!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #287 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:31 AM »
Rubber mallet.  Sometimes you need to hammer the ice off of your auger flighting, or other stuff.  Like bottom of propane tank, the frozen ice on your shelter skirt, or that black ice on the wheel well of your vehicle.

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #288 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Dress for the cold and layer. Also warm boots.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #289 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Have several rods rigged and ready when you begin fishing. That way your depth is set and you can quickly give the fish a different look should they not take your first offering.  You will put more fish on the ice no doubt.
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #290 on: Dec 19, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Dont set up alot of tipups far from you when its snowing because they will get covered in snow and you wont find them. Happened to me last year it started snowing hard and i didnt realize how fast they were covered in snow. I was lucky to find 4 out of 5.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #291 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:01 PM »
buy any kind of sonar, no matter what kind of rod, reel, line, or jig you have; you can't catch fish if you're not on top of fish. a sonar makes the job of finding them vastly easier.

X2

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #292 on: Dec 20, 2016, 01:34 AM »
new season, new best tip!

avoid the "magic lure" mindset. this isn't to say you shouldn't have favorite lures, just that you shouldn't think that one lure alone will catch fish.
personally, i love fishing the Northland Mud Bug jigs. but i can't be so confident in the Mud Bug that i can't tell myself: "you know, you'd catch more/bigger fish if you switched to this other lure instead"

don't be afraid to switch things up! just because you're catching fish doesn't mean that you're using the most effective technique, and just because the same technique worked this time last year or this time yesterday does not mean that it'll work today.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Dec 20, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Get your family buddies kids coworkers into ice fishing that way you can make more enjoyable memories with them the bonus is the get to help set up drag your gear clean and eat lots fillets

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Jan 06, 2017, 12:54 AM »
When fishing with kids always set depth with a slip bobber (wave buster float made for ice fishing) or similar, lure will always be at correct depth, and they have a visual as well. I use wave busters ice fishing as well, work well for the light biters

Buy your kids descent gear to start with, still reasonably priced but much more dependable than the plastic cartoon rod and reel sets

I rarely ice fish a lake that I have not previously fished in the summer. I have numerous spots marked on my GPS for the lake when I go on the ice. Very handy especially for mid lake structure.

Offline borg0196

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #295 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:20 AM »
new season, new best tip!

avoid the "magic lure" mindset. this isn't to say you shouldn't have favorite lures, just that you shouldn't think that one lure alone will catch fish.
personally, i love fishing the Northland Mud Bug jigs. but i can't be so confident in the Mud Bug that i can't tell myself: "you know, you'd catch more/bigger fish if you switched to this other lure instead"

don't be afraid to switch things up! just because you're catching fish doesn't mean that you're using the most effective technique, and just because the same technique worked this time last year or this time yesterday does not mean that it'll work today.

Love that lure, its my go to. Usually I use that to help catch some fish, so I don't get skunked. Then start to switch it up.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #296 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:39 AM »
No matter if it's sunny or not wear sun glasses so the glare off the ice doesn't burn your eyes.

Offline sask_sloughshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #297 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:22 PM »
If you're hand line fishing, use caution around fireline  can leave some nasty cuts

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #298 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:56 AM »
 Wind can make a nasty day,..If its windy or the forecast is the same,...stay home,  (but hey,..that's me)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #299 on: Nov 28, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Shameless bump...

Never need to buy the latest hyped lure on the first year...if it was that great, it'll be around next year as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.