Author Topic: who brings there dog on the ice  (Read 3433 times)

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
who brings there dog on the ice
« on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:41 AM »
does anyone bring there dog on the ice and if so how long can they be out there with there bare feet?

Offline eisjager13

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: who brings there dog on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:10 AM »
I take my dog all the time, when his feet get cold he lets me know by rubbing on me or trying to climb on me. I put him in the shanty a few minutes and he comes back out to play some more when he's ready        jager    :tipup:

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:06 AM »
My dog loves to come with me...in fact, I will harness him and he pulls the sled out for me! Of course, he is a Siberian Husky! I have an old blanket i bring and he usually curls up on that while I fish - thats all he needs for his feet - never had a problem with them cracking or bleeding. - tight lines and be safe!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I take my pup all the time with two exceptions...

Lake George and Great Sacandaga Lake in NY! Way to much snow machine traffic.

As far as cold feet. I usually put a bit of vaseline on her pads and that helps with the cracking.

I also bring a blanket or something where she can get off the ice for a bit if I do not
have the shanty.

She is a white german shepherd and smart as a whip. Plus she barks and lets me know when the flags pop :)

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:27 AM »
As far as cold feet. I usually put a bit of vaseline on her pads and that helps with the cracking.
thanks, do you put it on the feet before or after?

Offline fishnutt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Lookin For Me
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Glad to hear others thake their dog fishin.
 I had to lay mine to rest last night. She was a chocolate lab 13 yrs old I never went summer/ winter with out her.  Have fun with you dogs guys, you sometimes forget what they mean to you till they are gone.  I'm gonna mis mine.   
Filet & Release

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend passing; Like losing a family member

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:51 AM »
 I had to lay mine to rest last night. She was a chocolate lab 13 yrs old I never went summer/ winter with out her.  Have fun with you dogs guys, you sometimes forget what they mean to you till they are gone.  I'm gonna mis mine.   
    sorry to here that bro. now she will be fishing with you forever. hate to see mans best friend leave. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:53 AM »
So sorry to hear Fishnut, been there myself a number of times and it hurts real bad.

My girlfriend would bite me if I went without her.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:58 AM »
 i don't mind if  people  bring dogs  i use to  bring mine  ,as long as  your  dog isn't  being a pain to other fisherman, i've  had dogs  come at me  , get in my stuff and  get hooked  by a trible hook  when i went  for bait , if your someone bringing a dog and plan on just letting him roam   then leave him home , if your a good  pet owner and  watch  them and make them mind , there great..... sorry about you losing your  pet and friend

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Our Black lab will go out all the time with us, has small pillow she sleeps on in the shack, but usually find her curled up by the kids feet by the mornings.  We also take her in the boat usually if it is not too hot out.  I think the dog likes to go just as much as we do.  in the summer if she is not put away she will jump in the boat as we are leaving, guess is her way of saying your not leaving with out me!!  Same way with the shack sits in side till we go or waits by the door of the truck or shack too! 
I also agree though if you have a dog with you keep her by you or near by and not bothering others, I bring leash and if i go talk to someone she is on it while talking to them, but once back in our fishing area i take it off her and let her run by us.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:36 PM »
I agree with keeping an eye on ur dog....I usually bring a 30' lead and I just attach to an ice anchor so he has a 30' wide circle to roam........he seems to ejoy it

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Sometimes I'll bring a dog during the week but weekends when we are likely to have the lake to ourselves.  Once in a while the dogs bring me fishing.  They are sled dogs and there is a pond about 8 miles from home by trail.  I load the auger and traps in the sled and harness 6-8 dogs.  I get to combine dog training and fishing.  Weekends are too busy to be watching dogs.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:58 PM »
so sorry for your loss fishnut.

This is my little "not so siberian" snow mutt, Piggy ::) in my portable.

Offline dand6895

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Sorry about your girl,
had to put my 12 yr old guy down a month ago, black lab,  couldnt leave the house without him. hunting or fishing, no other way to put it. it sucks.
Take a kid fishing!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your pup Fishnutt.
There are ony two things that take away the hurt, time and a new puppy.  ;)

Mine goes with me when I take the truck but I haven't figured out how to get him out when I take the snowmobile. 
He's a full grown Husky and he has no problem with the cold at all.
When I go to my friends cabin everyone there have dogs, some have several.
We let em loose and they play like a bunch of little school kids, and when he gets thirsty or tired he coems and finds me. Gets a drink out of one of the holes and curls up somewhere and has a snooze.
When I'm off at work he would rather stay outside, but when it's colder than -20 I leave him inside. He even likes it when it's -40 but doesn't stay out as long then (what a wuss!!!!).   ;D

Offline highvoltagejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:54 PM »
does anyone bring there dog on the ice and if so how long can they be out there with there bare feet?
We take our 3 year old black lab always when we ice fish...he will stand over a hole looking in to see what may be coming out. If we could just teach him how to jig!!!!!!

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:13 PM »
sory to hear about your loss i lost 2 dogs last year one 15 the other 14 i still miss them .

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:30 PM »

Mine goes with me when I take the truck but I haven't figured out how to get him out when I take the snowmobile. 

Teach him to follow the snowmobile.  My samoyed will run next to the sled at 18 MPH for 20 miles.  He gets a rest while I fish and is ready for the run home.

Offline tubby jr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:54 PM »
I cant bring my dog on the ice hes so small he would fall threw the hole and he would be barking at everyone I got a chihuahua.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I will take my boy on nice days.  I try to take a blanket to keep him warm and a  bowl for food/water.

That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Teach him to follow the snowmobile.  My samoyed will run next to the sled at 18 MPH for 20 miles.  He gets a rest while I fish and is ready for the run home.

18MPH?
My sled won't go that slow.   ;D
Do you think my pup could run 70 or 80?    :woot:
Don't want to dilly dally, there's only 4 1/2 hours of daylight after all.  ;)2

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:23 PM »
18MPH?
My sled won't go that slow.   ;D
Do you think my pup could run 70 or 80?    :woot:
Don't want to dilly dally, there's only 4 1/2 hours of daylight after all.  ;)2

Your siberian husky should run faster than my samoyed but not 70 or 80.  Why is daylight a limiting factor?  Travel during darkness and fish in the light.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:28 PM »
I did take mine  ,but like fishnutt  I had to have him put down this fall . Going to miss him not being there this winter.Sorry here about your lose fishnutt I know how ya feel . :(
hook and cook

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Your siberian husky should run faster than my samoyed but not 70 or 80.  Why is daylight a limiting factor?  Travel during darkness and fish in the light.

My night vision is terrible so I don't like traveling in the dark if I can help it.
Hitting rocks and trees with my $15,000 is not my idea of fun.   8)
There are a couple of sketchy areas (current) on the way to one of my favorite lakes as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.