Author Topic: What do people drive  (Read 3634 times)

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
What do people drive
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Going to be looking for a older vehicle in a few months and wondering what people drive. I’ve pretty much have just had pickups with the exception of 2 jeeps. A wrangler then a liberty. My wife thinks I don’t need a pickup. Hoping once I have my surgeries i’ll Be able to fish again and want something that can handle fishing equipment.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What do people drive
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:40 PM »
I like my Chevy Tahoe. Keeps my gear/ tools secure in the back while I'm parked. Thaws out my ice gear while I'm driving. Has 4 wheel drive and pulls my boat nice. If I had a Pick-up truck again I would most likely have a cap on it anyways. So the Tahoe works well for me.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Yukon XL.  All the advantages of the Tahoe/Yukon, but with more room and more stability.  I love the Yukon XL/Suburban in the snow.  My '05 tows nicely too.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:01 AM »
Jeep Commander Limited Hemi QDII

Has everything, faster than most other vehicles, will go up a cliff, more comfortable than a Cadillac..

The bad= poor gas mileage

<°)))>{

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:05 AM »
How old are ya? What kinda roads do you drive? What do you plan to haul?

Here's the most important factor. You've had surguries and your wife thinks you need to get out of your truck. Do you want to consider something AWD and easier to enter and exit?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:15 AM »
I have a ram 1500 and that's good for me

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:02 AM »
How old are ya? What kinda roads do you drive? What do you plan to haul?

Here's the most important factor. You've had surguries and your wife thinks you need to get out of your truck. Do you want to consider something AWD and easier to enter and exit?

I’m 56 and going to have back surgeries. Hoping to pull a bass boat someday.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:05 AM »
Ice fishing vehicle is a Subaru Outback. 183k.
Summer Fishing I drive a Dodge Dakota. 198k
All other times I drive my VW TDI 387k miles and ticking. I put all but 86k on this myself.
<===Lefty===

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:45 AM »
drove an 89 dodge dakota sport convertible just shy of 30 years. bought a 2010 range rover supercharged autobiography this year. not going back ;D the 4 wheel drive in this vehicle is insane and i cant explain the leap from a 125 hp dakota to a 510 hp rover. bought a 3 year warranty for it, will see how it goes til then,  i saved a 100k buying second hand ;D

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:46 AM »
F150 with ecoboost and max tow package. I have trailers, quads, boats, kayaks, tractor, do maintenance and construction so I need a truck that can handle alot of weight and abuse. It has held up well to a very hard life but my warranty ended about 6 months ago and the transfer case is doing something I don't want to deal with. I'll be shopping for a newer version this weekend. 
I have the extended cab and a cap, will be going to a super cab and getting another cap. Works perfect for holding and hauling fishing gear all year long.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:02 AM »
still driving my 1989 dodge power ram but I broke the front axle steering u joint.there is to much snow to fix it outside so ive been driving my 03 Nissan frontier.the Nissan is a small truck but with 31"tires on it and skid plate it can get in to the launches here with no problems.need a cap tho,im so sick of shoveling snow out of it and my gear wouldn't fit under a tonneau cover.

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:07 AM »
F150 with ecoboost and max tow package. I have trailers, quads, boats, kayaks, tractor, do maintenance and construction so I need a truck that can handle alot of weight and abuse. It has held up well to a very hard life but my warranty ended about 6 months ago and the transfer case is doing something I don't want to deal with. I'll be shopping for a newer version this weekend. 
I have the extended cab and a cap, will be going to a super cab and getting another cap. Works perfect for holding and hauling fishing gear all year long.

This.    67k on a 2015 f150 eco boost with supercab, max tow,decent mpg.
Once you figure out how to work around the traction control and antilock its a versatile truck. Sled fits right in w/ tailgate closed. Pulls trailers w/ no issues, rated 12.5, but I’d use a 3/4 ton for that much. Tailgate step is a must. Folding tonneau cover. You’ll need to add tie down points.
Been coast to coast twice, no road fatigue at the end of the day. As w/ any truck, it’s all about the tires.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Extended cab Tacoma W/cap for daily use.
99 Chevy Silverado W/cap for towing boats, 37,000 mi.!
66 Chevy Impala, factory 425hp 427 for FUN, not too good in snow! 
I've had good luck with the Toyotas, owned 2 older 4rnrs and am on my 3rd Tacoma. 
Agree with FishGut, some vehicles are easier to enter and exit, depending on the condition of your back you may prefer one over the other, nothing wrong with a SUV as others are mentioning, my 4rnrs served their purpose.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:33 AM »
My wife would much rather ride in my 13 Silverado than her Impala.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:43 AM »
2012 GMC 3500 4wd, crew cab, long box, 6.0L gas pig, good thing I work from home and only drive it for fun. From early spring to the end of hunting season (or sometimes longer) it has a 3000lb camper on the back, and it also tows my 18' runabout. It rides nice for a one ton but there's too much electronics to go wrong for my liking. Lost a wheel sensor a while back so no ABS, trailer brakes, traction control, etc, and yesterday in this brutal cold snap I got the dreaded "reduced engine power" message and had to limp it home. Ran fine with no error codes a couple hours later?!?!?!?  Sometimes I really miss the simplicity of my 1987 Toyota FJ60... If only I could convince my wife to ditch the camper and go back to tent camping I'd get another cruiser in a heartbeat!
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:44 AM »
Tacomas are awesome, I've owned 3 of them but unfortunately they can't haul my 5500lb boat or my 19' enclosed snowmobile trailer. So now I have a '17 GMC Sierra 1500 and I can't believe I held out so long. I'm no longer opposed to domestic vehicles. My 1500 with the 5.3L V8 gets better mileage than any of my Tacomas did.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:48 AM »
my accord just crapped out. looking at toyota sienna awd

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:52 AM »
I drive a Ford Escape 2011 It is AWD I'm amazed what thing will go through! Great in winter for all my gear and it's locked up, For the summer tows my boat great boat only weighs #1300. Down side a little small for storage and you can't be the first guy out on the ice after a huge snow but I save a lot in gas the wife and I had 2 pickups sold them and now we have more fishing $.

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:53 AM »
2010 F250 6.8 V10. Less than 20,000 miles. Main driver is a 2013 Expedition Limited. Fun buggy is a 2015 Yamaha Viking 700 sxs
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I driva  2014 Subie Outback 3.6R most of the time. It has 96K on it. I bought it new wtih 11 miles on it.

My other ride is a 2016 Dodge 2500 CCLB Cummins Bighorn. It only has 25k on it.   Mostly use it to haul the boat and camper or the snowmachines for ice-fishing.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:27 AM »
A piece of junk. Got tired of me worrying about folks running into me. I live in a town full of people who should not be driving. Old folks and unlicensed Immigrants. Got sick of dents and dings in my nice vehicle so I bought a junker. Wife and kids hate it. It's an 06 F150 with 126000 on it now, it might last for several more years.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:39 AM »
2015 Grand Cherokee stripped Laredo.  I like it so far, but the heaviest thing I tow is my 19ft Wellcraft and it's all flat ground for the most part.  It does what I need it to do, but can only bring one passenger with all my ice gear in the back with the seats folded down.  I get 22-24MPG on the highway which isn't too bad.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:47 AM »
2016 Silverado 2500 HD... work truck. Hauls the wheeler, Hauls the boat and 8' bed Hauls my crap,
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Awd gmc safari. Goes through snow like a beast. Pull the back seats out and it doubles as a camper. Cheap parts too. Only downfall is that it is a major pain to work on.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:03 AM »
2011 Chev silverado 1500 with the upgraded rear end and trailering package. So far hauls everything I need it to, from my small trailers right on up to my toyhauler camper. Next time I trade up though I'll go for the full cab instead the extended cab. I'd like my passengers to have more leg room than is available right now.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:05 AM »
2011 Tacoma extended cab. Back seat to hold all the electronics and the box holds all the rest of our crap nice and tight.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:20 AM »
2006 2wd basic Toy Tacoma 100k miles frame rusted out, but is supposed to be replaced under warranty.
1997 Ram 1500 4x4 190k and rusted out badly, but keeps going and everything still works.
1997 Ram 2500 HD 4x4 70k no rust and don’t drive in road salt. Pulls boats, campers and truck camper.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Laredo with towing package

rivereddy

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:30 AM »
09 outback.. Not a very powerful girl so if you need to tow stuff shes not for you.. But put the back seats down and my nanook fits perfectly in the back with a bit of room to spare. Not terrible on gas and this thing will go through legit anything I swear lol. Black beauty (my cars name) has been down wheeler trails, plowed fields, and some deeeeeeeeep snow... She gets through it all. Also pretty low to get in and still has decent clearance.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:32 AM »
2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box.
6.6L Duramax - Deleted emissions, EGR blocked & EFILive tuned.
6-speed Allison Tranny - TransGo Jr. shiftkit & deep sump pan.
135,000 miles & gets 21 mpg.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.