The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Drive on access  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
Drive on access
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:58 AM »
Are there any lakes that i can take my pickup on that i might be able to catch some lakers i dont care how big just going for fun I'm coming back up this weekend with my brother and he is partially disabled he can walk some but not enough
I read Seymour might be ok not sure might even go to Willoughby if snow isn't to bad
Thanks

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Drive on access
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Magog you can drive on at eagle point. 40" of ice. Laker action has been really good this year around the islands.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Great thanks for that do you know if you can catch walleye there as well?

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Magog you can drive on at eagle point. 40" of ice. Laker action has been really good this year around the islands.
Just measured my auger I'll have try and borrow a gas one i dont think my electric Milwaukee will do that much ice lol

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:57 AM »
40" you may need the extension regardless.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:00 PM »
My ion with an extension did it. My buddy's K drill 8" had no issues. He runs a rigid drill.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Your poor buddy is probably still trying to get to the bottom of his first hole.  :P

My ion with an extension did it. My buddy's K drill 8" had no issues. He runs a rigid drill.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Honestly that thing is impressive!
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Honestly that thing is impressive!
I have used kdrills a few times and they are very slow compared to my setup (Ridgid Octane with 8" Lazer). But I would break my arms if I tried to drill overlapping holes.

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Might have to get an extension I'm using a strikemaster with 8" mora blades it when thru pretty good at mallets a couple weeks ago I'll bring a couple 9.0ah batterys hopefully will be enough being from MA I'm not used to ice that thick past couple years if we got 6" we were lucky

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I think you'll be good. Thickest ice we found was 40" in the bay near the islands closer to 34-36".
Worst case theres lots of good people there that will help you out. Hope you get into them.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:52 PM »
I have used kdrills a few times and they are very slow compared to my setup (Ridgid Octane with 8" Lazer). But I would break my arms if I tried to drill overlapping holes.

I'll take slow over arm breaking any day. My K drill/milwaukee setup was getting through 26 inches in Maine this past weekend no problem, just needed to clear the ice chips a couple times.  At the same time my nero 7 inch was way faster but so much more rough, and it really didn't like the slush after breaking through so I ended up having to clear chips several times with that too which was difficult because the hole isn't nearly as smooth (the weight of the ice chuncks kept pulling the auger out of the chuck too).  If I had an extension I have no doubt the kdrill would do 40 inches. All in all the k is just smoother and more user friendly, it is what i give my friends to cut their holes, nobody is getting the nero because they could hurt themselves with it.

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I think you'll be good. Thickest ice we found was 40" in the bay near the islands closer to 34-36".
Worst case theres lots of good people there that will help you out. Hope you get into them.

I cant wait just found an extension so i should be fine and your so right everybody i met on my last trip up were very friendly and you have some of the best fishing lakes around it's definitely worth the 4 1/2 hr drive thanks again

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.