The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New ION  (Read 1383 times)

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
New ION
« on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:34 PM »
my new ion X arrived this morning. Battery is charging , came with a 12" auger extension I wasn't expecting  a plus. Wife will probably ask why it's on the dinning room table. The manual came in both english and spanish   ???  not alot of ice fishing in mexico .

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New ION
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:35 PM »
You’re gonna LOVE it!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:54 PM »
I loved mine until I used my buddies new strikemaster, wished I would've held out.
Couple pounds heavier but much better power and quicker.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:58 PM »
The other thing is that it came with a spare battery!
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline The Butcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:05 PM »
my new ion X arrived this morning. Battery is charging , came with a 12" auger extension I wasn't expecting  a plus. Wife will probably ask why it's on the dinning room table. The manual came in both english and spanish   ???  not alot of ice fishing in mexico .

Amazing piece of gear!

Mine didn't come with an additional bolt for the extension. I haven't had to use it yet but came close last weekend.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:12 PM »
I know a lot of people speak highly of the strikemaster ...is that a 40 volt unit ?  Love the fact that i can put it in the back seat of the TACO no gas no smell   ;D

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Wondering which strikemaster unit you are referring to as I am interested.  Was looking at Ion but would like to check out others since you have experienced both.  Thanks

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:48 AM »
It was a 40 volt he picked this summer through cabelas with a second battery deal.
Honestly though the ions have already proven to be a good unit.
The strikemaster is still fairly new.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2019, 01:03 PM »
And who knows with Strikemaster.  They made a 50 volt for about one year and discontinued it.  Now in 5+ years when their battery dies if guys dont have a spare they are looking at buying a new auger.  After that I don't think I'd touch a strikemaster product.
westernmas on the finder

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2019, 01:40 PM »
just back from first outing with the new ION.  Only drilled 6 holes as bite was slow and COLD...I was very happy about how it worked.  I was on  about 2.5 feet of ice. took a little to get use't to the 2 second delay on start after depressing the go button. time will tell but a happy camper right now.

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2019, 02:21 PM »
I've been running an 8 inch auger under a makita 18v drill for the past two seasons and it honestly worked great. The issue I've run into this year is with so much ice I'm going through batteries like crazy. The drill just didn't have enough nut to do alot of holes. I ended up getting one of makita new cordless right angle hole hawgs that takes two 18v batteries in tandem. It also makes sense for me to get it because I work as an electrician and it comes in handy. I've used it for 2 weekends now and boy does this thing get the job done. I drilled about 30 holes and only used one bar on one of the batteries. It's a bit heavy but it works great for me! Just be sure to have a stop on your auger cause the chuck can be a bit tricky to get tight.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:35 AM »
I'm on my second year of the IonX 10 inch and I love it!

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Hey Stick eyes,

Just got my new ION X in today as well can’t wait to get out and give it a go.... tomorrow hopefully, it will look good in the back of my new Taco! Hahaha
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:20 PM »
only second day using it but really like it so far. 2 feet of ice today no trouble . nice that it is so quite . I tend to move around more now.  ;D

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:44 PM »
the more i use this thing the more like it . no problem yet with battery power. Some good deals on these at end of season if you've been thinking about one.

Offline ICESTICK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:54 PM »
The best part is just back flush the hole and your ready to set up , no spoon needed at the start , on the real cold days just wrap the battery in some hand warmers and never have any problems , love mine

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:15 PM »
40" of ice on magog. This weekend I was able to drill 28 holes with a 8" bottom. I was very impressed.
Anyone have a 10" bottom on theirs? Curious how well they work.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Lugging my 10 inch eskimo gas auger around this weekend the Ion sounds nice. Eskimo weighs a third less
than the old Jiffy but now I am a third older...

What does the Ion weigh with 10 inch blade?   

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Loving the new Ion, compared to the old hand auger it’s a breeze... used it all day today says battery is still full. Goes great in my new Taco...
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2019, 04:54 PM »
8" is 22 lbs..10" is 25 i believe .  I love mine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.