Author Topic: simcoe lakers and whitey  (Read 1566 times)

Offline 1madcrappies

• IceShanty Rookie
simcoe lakers and whitey
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Thinking about heading out to simcoe for lakers and whitey this weekend but I usually fish 80 to 100 feet for them just wanted to know if the ice is safe to go out to that deep has anybuddy gone out to simcoe for them yet

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: simcoe lakers and whitey
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Might want to check out one of the lake simcoe specific boards, probably find more real time info there.  From what I have read the usual spots, BP BBP IBP just froze over in the last day or two so this weekend might be a little sketchy still.  If you get out there please post a report, I hoping to get down there this season since last year was a bust.
@jzuliniak

Offline HWH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:44 PM »
The only laker whitey action I have heard of in the last few weeks has been from a boat. I would caution you trying to get out on the ice. Haven't seen the satellite photos from yesterday, but there was open water two days ago on on the main lake basin. We are finally making ice, but not sure if it will be ready for the weekend. Sorry to break the bad news

Offline nineinches

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:39 PM »
i don't think it would be very wise to go out to those areas yet as the main lake was open in spots just a few days ago,just remind yourself they are only fish.give it a week or so at least.

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:34 PM »

With this cold snap we are having there is only 1 to 3 inches of ice on the Lake Trout and Whitefish Grounds mentioned above.
 The Lake is just locking up today and I don't think it will be ready for deep water fishing this weekend.
 This afternoon there was a crack and rumble like an earthquake as the ice is forming and that was probably a pressure crack forming.
 Today there were 2 clowns fishing on 1 inch of ice off BBP and that would be all we need is the Iceboats heading to rescue them destroying the Ice.
 I belong to a Lake Simcoe Board and got my information from there.
 Redfish and some volunteers are going to do an ice check tomorrow afternoon....I will pass their findings on as soon as I hear anything.
 Deep water fishing is just around the corner....So Please, A Little Patience....Be Safe....Be Smart.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline 1madcrappies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Thank you all for the reply maybe i'll just wait it out by the sound of it don't think it safe yet don't think the fish is going anywhere better to be safe then sorry maybe i'll just go for jumbo on cooks bay I'm sure should be ok there  please post if ice condition gets better . Be safe and fish on ;)

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:30 PM »

A Group of people from the Lake Simcoe Board did a test this morning of the ice 200 yards out in front of the Monte Reno Marina near the top of Cook's Bay on Lake Simcoe and there findings were 3 3/4 inches of ice but it isn't a consistant thickness.....So a little longer to go for safe ice.....But we all know there will be guys out there....Please!!! No Vehicles of any kind just yet.....If your going to go out....WALK, WALK, WALK.

Bob

Offline 1madcrappies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Anybuddy think we'll hit 6" off ice by sunday  on the deeper side of simcoe just came back from g.f 6" of good ice tired of dink parch need to go get the big boys ;D

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Anybuddy think we'll hit 6" off ice by sunday  on the deeper side of simcoe just came back from g.f 6" of good ice tired of dink parch need to go get the big boys ;D

Sorry 1madcrappies...The Ice Report just came in for Shanty Bay and there is only 2 1/4 inches of Ice.
The little bit of snow is insulating the Ice from forming quickly....I highly doubt the Ice there will be 4 inches by Sunday.
Probably a week Sunday....we have a mini warm spell coming in the middle of next week.

A Little More Patience Is Needed....Hang Tough.....I hear you about the Perch. LOL.

Bob

Offline 1madcrappies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Lol I remember the good old days jan 1 smashing them now be lucky if we get 7 weeks out there  >:(

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Lol I remember the good old days jan 1 smashing them now be lucky if we get 7 weeks out there  >:(

1madcrappies.....You should feel my pain. LOL....I recently relocated [2 years ago]  here from Thunder Bay Ont
and we would be driving on the Ice the first week of Dec and still driving on the Ice in the middle of April....I drive
a full size Chev Passenger Van and had No Worries cause it is a CHEVY. LOL. LOL.

Bob

Offline 1madcrappies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Got report that line 2 has 5" to 6" of ice just wanted to know has anybuddy been around that area far drive for me dose anybuddy know the ice condition

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.