New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Vexilar WOW!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4088 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Vexilar WOW!!!!!!!!!
« on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:27 PM »
I used my Vex for the first time yesterday.  All I can say is WOW.  I'm amazed how many fish look at your jigs and leave with out hitting it.  If anyone is on the fence, I would highly recommend it.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Vexialr WOW!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:28 PM »
Thats the frustrating thing about a vex. Seeing all the fish that come up, look at your lure, and then swim away.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Thats the frustrating thing about a vex. Seeing all the fish that come up, look at your lure, and then swim away.
Yeah, but it really helps for adjusting your jigging techniques and selecting lures. You can keep trying new things until you get more of those fish to bite.

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:36 PM »
The vex helped me with depth and what to use.If you turn it down you also tell the bigger fish.
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:44 PM »
I used my Vex for the first time yesterday.  All I can say is WOW.  I'm amazed how many fish look at your jigs and leave with out hitting it.  If anyone is on the fence, I would highly recommend it.

Now try going out without it...go ahead, I dare ya ;)
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:44 PM »
You think that's bad try an aqua vu when you REALLY see em come up, look at your lure and then swim away :D 

Congrats GAMBELL, you're going to love that thing :tipup:

Hopefully I can get a camera next year.  I thought I was getting walleyes to come look at the jigs and they ended up being perch and largemouth.  The lookers in the dark were probally walleyes.  

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
Re: Vexilar WOW!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:28 PM »
I won't leave my house with out my vexilar.Their the best thing out their as far as flasher's go.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:31 PM »
even when you go to the store????   I only take it fishing with me ... lol  :)

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Now try going out without it...go ahead, I dare ya

Bwahahahahaha!!!  ;D  Like going ice fishing without an auger, or any rods!!! 

I sleep next to mine.  (Only because it charges on the stand next to my bed)

Welcome to the brotherhood, what took ya so long?!?  ;)
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Brian, I'm glad you're enjoying the Vex.

You have mail
Pete Lewis

Offline gone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:12 PM »
never live your vexliar home one morning i went fishing got one mile from lake and remembered i dint have my vexliar turned around and drove 20 miles back home to get it cant fish with out it so never live it home

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:21 PM »
never live your vexliar home one morning i went fishing got one mile from lake and remembered i dint have my vexliar turned around and drove 20 miles back home to get it cant fish with out it so never live it home

20 minutes to go a mile!! way to go gramps    ;)   Anything happening at nugents pond?

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:29 PM »
Just purchased a Vex fl-18 and ama hoping to have the same experience as you.  From what I understand you can see fish checking out your bait.  How cool. 

How often did you switch locations due to lack of action?  Was it difficult to determine the type of bottom - from weeds to sand to rock etc? 

Please advise.

HR

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:20 PM »

i just bought a vex and i love it, it helps so much.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:50 PM »
which model did you get?  I'm starting to look around.  There are so many choices out there it's hard to know what to get!   ???

There will be hundreds of them in your back yard in a few weekends...just go check them out!

Get whatever you can afford...there's no right or wrong.  I got the Gander Marcum unit 'cause I didn't want to jump in with both feet and I haven't regretted it one bit not do I have an urge to go "upgrade"...anything is soooo much better than nothing.  Let your wallet be your guide and you'll be fine.  Or, research things to death and continue to be in the dark.... ::)

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:25 PM »
Thanks!  That's kinda where I was coming out!  I could research the thing to death and quite frnakly I was just thinking about buying the Marcum VX-1.  Less than $250 with free shipping sounds good to me!  They all show you the darn fish, don't they?

Yup...

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:32 PM »
I'm a Lowrance x67c guy, but it's all the same thing -- a lot like having vision or being blind. Don't know how I ever lived without it!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline Chasin Tail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:41 PM »
Its the greatest invention in ice fishing next to the jig! ;D

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:28 PM »
which model did you get?  I'm starting to look around.  There are so many choices out there it's hard to know what to get!   ???

I'd get something with the zoom feature.  I know you can still do OK without the zoom, but that added separation is huge when you are talking within a foot or less off the bottom.  I am not up to speed on the new FL-20's, but you might see a lot of FL-18's on the market if the difference is worth the upgrade for some guys.

I was out on Silver one day last year when my FL-18 quit (because I forgot the charge the battery) on me.  Right then and there I packed up and went home.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:33 PM »
last season my transducer broke so I put my gear away for the year. Good thing it happened in March.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2007, 05:25 AM »

I baught the FL-8 se pro pack.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:44 AM »
I just got a marcum lx-3tc this year and like everyone has said, it is amazing the difference they make. My only problem is that when i can get both of my jigging lines on the screen i sometimes have a tough time telling which one the fish is after :tipup:

Offline boatdiver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stop by, say hello
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:47 AM »
I still use a Vex FL-8 because I know it so well. For fun, take your buddy and while you drill holes have him flash 'em. Drill and drill some more until you feel like you know the bottom, then set down your gear, go back and get your shanty and drop in. I always drill and flash before fishing and it really pays off

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:14 AM »
the new fl-20's are great. the wife got me one for my b-day and i got to finally try it wed. afternoon. wow. i love it . it took me about 3 holes and 10 minutes to find the perch and start pulling them out.  we got about 20 perch (10 keepers) in no time. i've tried the fl-18 and liked it but the zoom on the fl-20 is well worth the extra money. i'll never leave home without it. (even when i go to the store) ;D :D

Offline Northeastfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:32 AM »
Never thought I would get one of these electronic toys, have fished all my life without one (many many years). Bought a used Fl-18 off ebay, am now a believer.
The future of our fisheries for our grandchildren depends on the action from fisherman of today.

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2007, 11:42 AM »
I used my FL-8 last night for the first time, though I gut skunked, I love the thing. I did have a looker as well, I don't know if it hepled or hurt. I started jigging and it wasn't long before it was gone. Maybe I should have let it sit...LOL. Oh well, I get them figured out soon.

I won't go with out it now for sure!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:00 PM »
I would dare to say anyone that owns a flasher would go crazy fishing deeper water without it.I have a marcum flasher and underwater camera and when i dont have them it drives me nuts knowing there at home!!!(I sight fish for the gills alot in shallow water so some times i dont bring them) :cookoo: Than i'll end up going out to deeper water for perch and not have them :o
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline kdu12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:48 PM »
I got a new FL-20 this year and got to use it for the first time last Sunday.  I loved it!! It was so cool to see fish swim up to my lure and...swim away  >:(  but it was a very tough day for fishing over all.  I think it is definitely going to help me catch fish and improve my jigging techniques.  I also have an aqua vu and last winter I had a blast jigging in shallow water and watching pan fish come up to my lure.  I don't like to use my aqua vu in water deeper than 12-14 feet because dealing with frozen cable is a pain, but both are great and valuable tools!
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:03 PM »
I got a new FL-20 this year and got to use it for the first time last Sunday.  I loved it!! It was so cool to see fish swim up to my lure and...swim away  >:(  but it was a very tough day for fishing over all.  I think it is definitely going to help me catch fish and improve my jigging techniques.  I also have an aqua vu and last winter I had a blast jigging in shallow water and watching pan fish come up to my lure.  I don't like to use my aqua vu in water deeper than 12-14 feet because dealing with frozen cable is a pain, but both are great and valuable tools!
      The best thing about using your vex , or other good locator, is that you know that there are fish there when you are fishing. It is so sad to fish all day in a spot with no fish in it.
                                                                                             JK

Offline gone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2007, 02:35 AM »
when i fish with my vex i drill 10 holes i will fish ever hole for 10 minute if there no fish i go to the next hole some time by the end of the day ill have 20 or 30 hole drilled and my limit of perch one year i fished with Dave genz  and he told me if you don't get perch in a hole in 10 minutes drill more holes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.