New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: VHS: who's been checked?  (Read 4093 times)

JJ

Re: VHS: who's been checked?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2007, 11:37 PM »
Guys are having a hard enough time not being able to go fishing with more than 100 minnows as it is. ;D

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2007, 11:57 PM »

camo, you bin checked yet or know of anybody that's been checked?    anybody?  christ, the DEC is either lazy, understaffed, or nobody's fishin!   ::)

gair-z

Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

camo_fish

« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:02 AM »
camo, you bin checked yet or know of anybody that's been checked?    anybody?  christ, the DEC is either lazy, understaffed, or nobody's fishin!   ::)
no body fish.  :roflmao: that's a good one, there was tons of people out this monday and tuesday. Haven't been checked but have only been check once on the ice my 6-7 years on the ice. I would think that DEC is busy during the weekend checking and all they can do is ask where you got them. But again, if you have over 100 in a bucket or smelt, unless you catch for that waters, you'll be golden.  8)

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:06 AM »
no body fish.  :roflmao: that's a good one

a little sarcasm never hurts eh?  ;)

gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:45 AM »
ANyone have an opinion on how this might work on shared water like Lake Champlain?  If I go to Plattsburgh to work, get out early and want to do some fishing in another spot (i.e. ny side), I wouldn't want to run afoul.  I suppose I can just plan a trip to a local bait shop before heading out on the ice, too.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:52 AM »
No, you can still buy certified emeralds and fish with them in an inland lake or pond that doesn't contain them.

right

from the DEC site :tipup:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fhregs.html

All live fish destined for the waters of New York State are required to have a fish health inspection report by a qualified fish health inspector that certifies the fish as disease free. This includes all fish, including live fish for stocking and bait fish. Therefore, in order for a bait and tackle shop to sell bait fish, the bait and tackle shop must have a fish health inspection report by a qualified fish health inspector that certifies the bait fish as disease free. Once a fish health inspection report is obtained by a wholesaler for a "lot" of bait fish, it can be made available/transferred (a copy given) to a wholesaler/bait and tackle shop that receives fish covered by the report.
Bait fish purchased from a source (i.e. bait and tackle store) that has a fish health inspection report by a qualified fish health inspector that certifies the fish as disease free may be used as bait in any body of water in New York State where the use of bait fish is permitted.
Personally harvested bait fish can only be used from the body of water from which they were caught for the purposes of reducing the spreading of VHS.
The personal (non-commercial) possession limit of bait fish is 100 regardless of whether those fish were personally harvested or purchased at a bait and tackle store.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:06 AM »
I got a stupid (thinking out of the box, outsider) idea.....why not just stop using minnows? I have a half-baked idea of what you're going through over there but it seems to me that if there is a disease that is threatening your fisheries (which IMO seem pretty good as far as diversity does) why not take the proactive approach and, as anglers and conservationists, stop using live minnows entirely?
Is it really that hard to catch fish in NY without using minnows?

I think the problem with banning minnows all together is that so manylives depend on the sale of minnows for bait. There would be countless number of family owned businesses going out this year as it is with these new regulations.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:20 AM »
All the bait stores I go to tell me that they are certifide and all you need to do is tell the DEC and make sure you don't have over 100 in 1 bucket or even have smelt.
Thanks for the clarification camo-fish.

I got a stupid (thinking out of the box, outsider) idea.....why not just stop using minnows? I have a half-baked idea of what you're going through over there but it seems to me that if there is a disease that is threatening your fisheries (which IMO seem pretty good as far as diversity does) why not take the proactive approach and, as anglers and conservationists, stop using live minnows entirely?
While that might work for bodies of water that aren't already infected, it is really a moot point for the bodies of water which are already infected.  Its a matter of "too little too late" for those places.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:23 AM »

I think the problem with banning minnows all together is that so manylives depend on the sale of minnows for bait. There would be countless number of family owned businesses going out this year as it is with these new regulations.
Not to mentioned the families that rely on fish, effectively caught on minnows, to feed their loved ones!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.