New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fishing solo  (Read 4195 times)

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing solo
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Hello, my name is Rick.  I am also a flagaholic and I fish alone.  I  try to hide it most of the time but sometimes someone finds me and we have a  few drinks and remember the good days.   Usually I don't mind the company.  Stop by and say hello.
Thank you ice shanty for the support. :)
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:48 PM »
I fish alone quite often. Back when my grandsons were younger I tought them how to ice fish and as they got older girls and work got in their way and they didn't have time to fish! That was until this year and my youngest grandson ( he's 19)has been going with me every weekend. Boy do I miss my solo trips. Don't get me wrong I love my grandkids but damn! He plays rap music while sitting in my one man flip burning my propane, breaking my tickle stick. At least he is with me and not getting himself into trouble.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:51 PM »
I have the same problem. All my buddies want to go but chicken out at the last second, or if they do come they show up at noon and leave at 130. Ice fishing will separate the men from the boy's.

Offline creedxs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2018, 02:33 AM »
I fish because I want to be alone

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Told my fishing buddy last week that with all the respect in the world, sometimes I just like fishing alone. Comraderie is great, and sometime solitude is great. As long as I am walking on water, I am happy either way.

+1

Well put.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:39 AM »
At times I have thought solo is best. I remember sitting on the ice at 4 pm 70 miles from home and the perch and eyes are starting to hit when my buddy said "Did I tell you my wife wants me home by six?". There definitely are days when solo is best. At my age I do prefer to have someone along. 
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:10 AM »
If anyone else is with me, I'm not really fishing.
We're BSing, having a few beers, catching a few fish and barely moving around once comfortable and lazy. And mentally cut off from nature and the environment.
Being alone. I'M FISHING.

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:10 PM »
If anyone else is with me, I'm not really fishing.
We're BSing, having a few beers, catching a few fish and barely moving around once comfortable and lazy. And mentally cut off from nature and the environment.
Being alone. I'M FISHING.

Very well put :tipup:

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I love the time alone but I'm also willing to fish with anyone, anytime.  However, I always drive separate. Sometimes life just gets in the way and that's perfectly fine.  If you gotta leave in the middle of a hot run, so be it. If I have to leave and everyone else wants to stay-  fine as well. Gives everyone the option to decide for themselves.
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline Capt.morgan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:47 PM »
I don't mind fishing alone but more people means more tip ups !!!!

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I primarily fish solo during open water.  Got tired of the many excuses and annoying habits as other guys have stated.  While I do think having company would be better than not, I've now grown accustomed to fishing by myself.  Lately, it's been more of a, FYI, I'll be going fishing at this spot at this time.  Show up if you want to join, I'll be there anyway.  Sometimes I prefer to fish alone so that I can stick to my own schedule.  Gone are the days of car-pooling, for that exact issue.  The same goes for ice fishing more or less, up until the ice gets thick enough, that I don't have to worry so much about ice safety.

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:56 PM »
I fish solo most of the time. Don't mind fishing with others but like everyone else i like to fish at my pace/schedule. When I go with other people it is more of a social thing rather then fishing. All good

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:13 PM »
At times I have thought solo is best. I remember sitting on the ice at 4 pm 70 miles from home and the perch and eyes are starting to hit when my buddy said "Did I tell you my wife wants me home by six?". There definitely are days when solo is best. At my age I do prefer to have someone along.
Did you tell him it would be six, just maybe not in the time zone his wife was in??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:20 PM »
It's really is a sport where the more the merrier.Solo is awesome but many tipups make it fun especially when kids run for the flags.its a joy too watch.Fish solo often iam done with it.Time for nxt generation too get off the phones and onto the ice.
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:02 PM »
I always fish alone or with someone.   

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I don't always fish alone, but when I do I go by myself.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Yeah, When I fish alone I prefer to be by myself, you know like the lyrics from John Thorogood's  I Drink Alone.

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:44 PM »
I'm a loaner. I have 1 fishing buddy but our schedules rarely match up. I'm a bit of an A-hole and can be hard to get along with. I don't like waiting for others and I'm not into holding hands. I hate wheelers and sleds on the ice and it's not unusual for me to walk a couple miles. My one fishing buddy is a lot like me and we have a blast fishing together, he's always ready at agreed time, never has to leave early, doesn't need to be helped or borrow my gear, and he's as crazy as me and wants to be fishing before daylight.

I'm the same when it comes to fishing open water I fish alone better than 90% of the time and I enjoy every second of it. I pull the boat to Oswego probably 20 times a year from Saratoga and year had someone with me for 1 trip. I have a camp in the Adirondacks and I rarely invite others up there because I like hunting alone.

Offline Linc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:24 AM »
If I waited for someone to ice fish with I would not go fishing. Same for hunting. I do have a buddy that I fish open water with once in a while. We go out in his boat and either fish for perch or Lakers.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Never had a problem ice fishing alone...then i went through, and every time I got back on good ice, it broke up under me.   If I didn't have my very good friend with me, I would have died.   I swore off ice fishing alone.    Fast foward 12 years to 2 weeks ago.   Had a choice of walking off the ice solo, or leaving a lil early with a friend....left early with the friend, and was glad I did, I found a crack near shore big enough to collapse and fit my fat butt through.... again thankfully I had a friend to pull me out...soaked and frozen in about 0.005 seconds...

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Sounds like you should invest in a spud !

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I like fishing with friends, I feel it’s easier between 2-3 people to figure out what they like that day, color, technique etc. However, I will go alone if I can’t find anyone to go with. I never used to but having a striker suit made me a little more comfortable with it. I still take every precaution I can either way though, spud, safety spikes etc

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #52 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Sounds like you should invest in a spud !

I spud everywhere I go

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I have been lucky for over 20 years now, I have 1 fishing buddy and a true friend who's a sportsmen. Ice time to me is not a team sport, or time to get your drink on, party or post chat messages and pics(excluding derbies). Since around 1980 I have fished with quite a few friends and friends of friends, honestly 90% to 95% don't have it together. Some think you're going to do everything, or borrow gear, run after any flag, fish for a hour or so, trip flags for a joke(over and over), never buy bait, don't bring an auger, pure beer in the bait bucket for luck, cancel last minute for some BS reason, bring other friends that don't last an hour because they are clueless about winter(you've seen them, jeans, regular work boots, hat, ski gloves, jacket, standing there freezing with no fishing gear) tell everyone they know they went ice fishing and where your spot is, complain and the list goes on and on. Friends are friends, but not all friends are fishermen/ice fishermen so I go solo if my buddy can't make it.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Fishing solo?  yep do it all the time  I'm not anti social, I just like that "me"  time  and the flexability to do as I want when where why and for how long as I want.
 I cherish good friends but there is something to be said for that opportunity to stare down a hole and forget or ponder on a subject until your interrupted by the tap tap of an edible critter.  A couple mornings ago I woke up at 3;45 am. no more sleeping, nope. Now what?  You guessed it. Made a thermos of coffee and off I went fishing.  I was there early.
  If the weather turns off nice in the afternoon, you guessed it.  I'm gone
  If the weather turns to crap while I'm there, you guessed it  I'm gone
  If I feel like a pizza on the way home or breakfast on the way, you guessed it
 I do have a good friend who I enjoy fishing with but we meet there and fish just close enough to share secrets or the results of the last hour. we both operate on our own schedule
  So if you se me alone day after day please don't think I'm a snob. come say hellow , but remember I'm just enjoying a little "me" time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.