New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fishing solo  (Read 4194 times)

Offline BigRob

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing solo
« on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:26 PM »
Not many ppl I know go ice fishing everyones scared of falling in I'm always out alone anyone else have thia issue lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Fishing solo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 03:01 AM »

I fish with lots different ppl , but as an only child fishing by myself has never been an issue , only thing is if you do something goofy there is no one there to laugh about it 😉
 Big rob keep working on them maybe you will get one to come over to the ice side

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 03:38 AM »
I fish alone a lot, mainly because over the years I got tired of guy's  BS excuses about showing up late, not showing at all, wanting to quit after an hour or so.  Drinking too much.   Never offer gas money (for boat).  Well, you get the drift....    A good fishing partner is special for sure. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:22 AM »

I hear that Mike I’ve weeded through a few of those myself ,

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:39 AM »
I have the opposite problem. Sometimes fishing alone is a beautiful thing.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:00 AM »
  I do a lot of solo trips as well for many of the reasons stated above. I like to move around and explore new areas if the fishing is slow, and yes, there's times I wish a few people were there to enjoy the time with,,,but it's enjoyable fishing solo and calling it quits when you feel like calling it quits. Sometimes I can just get the last hour or so in after working, that works well for me with no planning...and it's a great way to cleanse the BS from the system!  ;D
Use extra caution, don't take chances, always let someone know where you are. I stay in frequent contact with my wife and or sons when going alone...be safe and enjoy it! 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:03 AM »
I still end up fishing alone a lot , the guys I do fish with still work , guess I’m 10 yrs to young or is to old , what’s is funny , I call it fishing together but we could be 100’ apart or 2 miles lol
Good point Eddie I to let the wife and one of my buds know , lots of days I’m on the ice over 10 hrs , when I was young and full of juice never gave it a thought , just get in the truck and go ,

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:07 AM »
I fish alone a lot because of my schedule. I tend to fish during the week because I don't have weekends off. My schedule and days off are always changing every three months. Gotta love shift work. Back onto topic, some times the peace and quiet of fishing alone is just what the doctor ordered to clear your head and forget about the stresses of everday life.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:40 AM »
I fish alone a lot, mainly because over the years I got tired of guy's  BS excuses about showing up late, not showing at all, wanting to quit after an hour or so.  Drinking too much.   Never offer gas money (for boat).  Well, you get the drift....    A good fishing partner is special for sure.

I like to fish alone, but I also don't want to be "that guy"...  I have health issues, I don't quit after an hour but, I have hit the wall after 4-5 hours, don't want to ruin someone else's day. I rarely can put 8 hours on the ice and usually need a day or two recovery afterwards. I am starting to reach the point where I feel much more comfortable/needing to fish with someone, especially the bigger waters.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:43 AM »
BART it’s not a big deal , I can always run back out and fish all I got to do is turn the heat off and unhook from my shack ,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:45 AM »

you hit the nail right on the head  there ......I have a  10 minute  rule  if  were  going and  your  10 minutes  late  don't  bother  coming to my house  if you still wanna go meet me at the lake ..... this  rule  holds  true  to  everything  fishing hunting  work  or  going out  for  dinner ....

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Not many ppl I know go ice fishing everyones scared of falling in I'm always out alone anyone else have thia issue lol

You can always take advantage of our find a fishing partner idea:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=140836.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:50 AM »

I like to fish alone, but I also don't want to be "that guy"...  I have health issues, I don't quit after an hour but, I have hit the wall after 4-5 hours, don't want to ruin someone else's day. I rarely can put 8 hours on the ice and usually need a day or two recovery afterwards. I am starting to reach the point where I feel much more comfortable/needing to fish with someone, especially the bigger waters.

bart then  we  should  team  up  I have  a  awful disease called  getting old  ....I need  to take  pills to move  I can't  go fast  I need  to carry a  inhaler  and I get  cold  easy ...... but  we  are  still out there  and we are still doing what we love  buddy  ^5

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Ahhh, Solitude.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:13 AM »
BART I told ya before it’s not a big deal , I can always run back out and fish

Hoping to be headed up that way soon, I'll let you know. Thanks!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:18 AM »
bart then  we  should  team  up  I have  a  awful disease called  getting old  ....I need  to take  pills to move  I can't  go fast  I need  to carry a  inhaler  and I get  cold  easy ...... but  we  are  still out there  and we are still doing what we love  buddy  ^5
I think there's an epidemic........

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:34 AM »

I am prematurely aged! My doctors have turned me into a full-blown cyborg, and still need 13 pills a day to move. Slow and easy is my mode... have to hook up some time!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Alone or with someone im always up for some ice fishing yee yee

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Trapper I've had a few back operations, and a new shoulder , 4-5 hrs perfect send me a mess.
McPerch

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:24 AM »
BART IM SORRY SEND ME THE MESS OR ANY BODY OUT THERE WANTS TO FISH CALL
McPerch

Offline Buff11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:28 AM »
I have a pretty busy schedule so most of my fishing trips are unplanned, a couple hours free and I’m going out fishing! With that being said I don’t want to wait around for someone to be ready.  If they’re ready, great! If not, fishing alone is better than not fishing at all!

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:53 AM »
i ice fish alone all the time because everybody i know hates ice fishing. They think im crazy.  Now that i think about it, maybe i am

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:55 AM »
All us ice fishing folks have a little bit of crazy in us oldbuck
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:19 AM »
i ice fish alone all the time because everybody i know hates ice fishing. They think im crazy.  Now that i think about it, maybe i am

Ice fishing is polarizing for sure. A few love it, most hate it.
Not many fall in-between.
I think if you aren't indoctrinated while young and resilient, you won't like it as an adult.

The tug is the drug.

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:24 AM »

Yep there it is, don't get me wrong I enjoy fishing with folks, but I want to go where, when and how I want.  I normally go to places that there are folks around when I am alone.

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Now that i am retired i pick my days and fish close to home my buddies show up great if not they are always on the phone .See how i am doing or if i need help.When i was younger champlain every weekend no matter what 160 miles round trip loved it, 15 holes gave it all we had.Some great times.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:53 AM »

I always look at IceShanty as a support group.

Hello, My name is Ryan, and I’m addicted to ice fishing. I wake up every morning with a twitch in my right wrist mumbling “hit it, hit it, hit it”. Currently, I have a daily 5 gram tungsten habit. My family has grown concerned to the point where they don’t know what to do other than support my addiction. I think I’m beginning to influence them also.... lol

I mostly ice fish alone for the same reasons. I’ll go with my brother and nephew once in a while but they are the type of people that make a plan then never get ahold of you with the details. Then they go fishing and say “you should have come with us man”.... Ive been ice fishing most of my life but I’ve only really been going alone as an adult for the last 5 seasons or so. With how the weather has been the last 5 years I don’t venture far off the beaten path for safety reasons. I actually just got my first spud so I can stray from the path a bit but stuff like that still makes me a little nervous when I’m alone. Eapecialy when I’m on spring fed ponds and lakes with current.

Fishing alone, however, has stopped me from investing in a heater though. Just more crap to bring along and when I’m dragging everything myself, less weight is a must. Personally, I don’t need a heater, never really have. Having zero heat at 0 degrees really deters my summer fishing buddies from ice fishing with me. Their loss lol.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I go with friends and family sometimes but I fish solo most of the time.

Having 2 young kids I enjoy the peace and quiet!

I am a bit of a recluse anyway.  ;D

Funny thing is in my 3 trips so far this season none have been solo.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Told my fishing buddy last week that with all the respect in the world, sometimes I just like fishing alone. Comraderie is great, and sometime solitude is great. As long as I am walking on water, I am happy either way.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Ice Fishing: A solitary pursuit best undertaken by fools. I'm in
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.