New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: PERCH?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
PERCH?
« on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:19 PM »
New guy to IS. Was wondering if there is any lakes in the central NY, Finger Lakes Region area where there is ICE!? And decent perch! at least 9"er's. All my good perch spots are open! DESPERATE!!!! HELP!!!!!!!                                                                   

???Bart
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
Re: PERCH?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:35 AM »
Wow!  At least 9 inches huh? ::)  Go to the NY reports and conditions.  You may find someone is doing well.  I hear the perch are biting on Lebanon Res.  That is central NY.

Ranger :tipup:

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:55 AM »
where do u live
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

crowkiller

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:15 AM »
must be nice to catch 9" plus perch all the time

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:18 AM »
lol ya
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:33 AM »
New guy to IS. Was wondering if there is any lakes in the central NY, Finger Lakes Region area where there is ICE!? And decent perch! at least 9"er's. All my good perch spots are open! DESPERATE!!!! HELP!!!!!!!                                                                   

???Bart

Most of the Madison County lakes/res. have a good population.
This time of year they tend to be a little deeper. Check the deep basins first.

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:41 PM »
where do u live
North of Auburn. Conquest. Where do you live? Here are some lakes around me that have great perch fishing! Some spots where 9"ers are not keepers, such as Sodas Bay 10"-13" are common with possibilities of 14"-16". Also other excellent lakes are Skaneatlas, Owasco, Cayuga, Canandaigua. Unfortunately, these all have no ice! Anybody around here would tell you these places are good. what part of new york are you from? Up north? What lakes are near you? I'm new to IS and haven't got a clue how to post pics. Can you help me out? thanks! If you are not to far away you should try Sodas!!! when there is ice?

-Bart(JOASMON) :)

Offline ALL PRO

• IceShanty Rookie
  • perch pounder
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:59 PM »
There is some ice on SODUS fished her today did pretty good with lots of 10 + perch there are lots of things you need to know if you want to catch the big boys other wise you will catch dinks all day

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Check out Delta lake if you can. I target jigging up the dinks for pike bait but I set a couple tip ups for eyes with shinners also and always get a half dozen perch  or so in the 9-12 range sometimes 13 or 14 inches, there is good safe ice on delta right now and the fishing hasn't been stellar but it has been decent yesterday I swung 2 northerns 28" and 33" and 12 perch 4 of which were bigger than 10 inches and acouple a hair smaller no eyes though.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

crowkiller

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2006, 07:40 AM »
auburn thats crow country, been meening to get there some time n thin um out

Offline beaglehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:46 AM »
auburn thats crow country, been meening to get there some time n thin um out

Good one! ;D ;D ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Try Loon Lake in Wayland.  Might be a little further than you are looking for but it has 5"-6" of ice and good perch and pickerel.

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Check out Delta lake if you can. I target jigging up the dinks for pike bait but I set a couple tip ups for eyes with shinners also and always get a half dozen perch  or so in the 9-12 range sometimes 13 or 14 inches, there is good safe ice on delta right now and the fishing hasn't been stellar but it has been decent yesterday I swung 2 northerns 28" and 33" and 12 perch 4 of which were bigger than 10 inches and acouple a hair smaller no eyes though.
I have heard of Delta I've wanted to try out there! It's a drive though about hour and half for me. I think I'll try it this week. do you have a good place to start from? access? parking? etc. I'll try any lake once! thanks!

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:18 PM »
There is some ice on SODUS fished her today did pretty good with lots of 10 + perch there are lots of things you need to know if you want to catch the big boys other wise you will catch dinks all day
Good! It's getting colder, should build ice fast. Winds have to calm down. Any ice near leroy? Last year did excellent! I've only been there twice this year. I'll hit it before ice out. I need a perch fix. Gills aren't cutting it!

Offline nyoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2006, 02:28 AM »
Don't know of the ice conditions, but Seneca is one of the best for perch (from what I hear), as is Otisco.

Al
Hunting, fishing, camping.....who says life has to be hard??

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2006, 12:58 PM »
withthe exception of lake george and the right spots in sararatoga we do not get those ridiculuos1-2 lb perch like you do out that way. seneca lake does not freeze and can be tough and the fishermen have the worst ettiquette ever ( the biggest perch i have ever seen). try newyork reports for Irondequoit bay in rochester. I know it is a liitle west for you but it can be hot. a lot of dinkks but if you can get to 30-35ft of water you can get numbers of 9 inch fatties with some 10-13 mixed in. if it stays  cold it should get safe out there where i grew up. . i miss those central ny slobs. i fished champlain this week and got a ton of 7-8 and only about 30 over 9 in 4 days there. try to fish south of the bridge. I hope the late season gives u guys some ice.
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

billybono

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2006, 01:08 PM »
fish sodus....the ice is fine  ;)

billybono

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Don't know of the ice conditions, but Seneca is one of the best for perch (from what I hear), as is Otisco.

Al
      Hey Al, Seneca does not freeze but there are giant perch there! As far as Otisco goes perch are on the small size and small numbers. its excellent for tiger muskys, Largemouth and Browns! Also has walleyes and bluegills in good numbers. Gills are smallish but lots. Never caught any eyes through the ice there.(spring at night) Crappie are there also few and far between but when you get them there good size! My kid caught a couple nice ones this week.
      I was there 3 days last week and 3 days this week. While tiger fishing with tipups last week caught (11) largemouth jiggin and tipups 1lb-7lbs, (2) tigers small and lots of gills many are dinks, kept a few of the bigger ones 7" and occasional 8". 3 perch 8"
      This week (5) tigers small, same on the gills, (1) bass jiggin and my kid John(Krappie_King) caught (2) nice crappie!
       Marathon? Hows Whitney Point doing?

:)-Bart

Offline nyoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2006, 12:56 AM »
Haven't been by WP since last Monday.  I wouldn't have trusted it then, and not sure about it now, although it has definitely been cold enough to get it back to "safer" conditions.  There was someone out there last week when I went by, but I never talked to them.  There was hardly any snow at all, so it's a safe bet to say cleats are a must.

Thanks for the tip on Seneca and Otisco.  Never been to either, but have heard rave reviews on both, and plan on going to both some time this year.

Al
Hunting, fishing, camping.....who says life has to be hard??

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:57 AM »

???Bart
When I posted this there wasn't much safe ice. Its been colder and now I'm finding good ice. Sodus! 6" past islands went out yesterday. windy and could not locate good fish. I also want to thank everyone on IS for your replies and info. posting pics soon. took 5 hours to get avatar that small and figure out! Hope posting pics goes better!

Bart  :)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2006, 01:37 PM »
I have heard of Delta I've wanted to try out there! It's a drive though about hour and half for me. I think I'll try it this week. do you have a good place to start from? access? parking? etc. I'll try any lake once! thanks!
You can access the lake through the state park from the beach parking area,the fishing is is allright out in front of the beach mainly arround the areas where you see the bouys sticking through the ice , they are a good marker to find the drop off. I usually have my best luck though 500 or so yards off to the right of the beach in 15 FOW kinda head towards the shanties out that way the water depth ranges from 10 to 25 feet I prefer the shallower but I am usualy after pike, The perch seem to be all over out there.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2006, 09:04 PM »
You can access the lake through the state park from the beach parking area,the fishing is is allright out in front of the beach mainly arround the areas where you see the bouys sticking through the ice , they are a good marker to find the drop off. I usually have my best luck though 500 or so yards off to the right of the beach in 15 FOW kinda head towards the shanties out that way the water depth ranges from 10 to 25 feet I prefer the shallower but I am usualy after pike, The perch seem to be all over out there.
Thanks deadsmelthead, I might go there Thursday or this weekend to try it! its a drive for me but its cool to try a different lake. I'll let you Know how I did, if I go?

:)              Bart

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2006, 05:41 PM »
Thanks deadsmelthead, I might go there Thursday or this weekend to try it! its a drive for me but its cool to try a different lake. I'll let you Know how I did, if I go?

:)              Bart
Hey deadsmelt, My buddy and I went out there today. A bunch of dink perch(2 keepers). Buddy caught a 9" walleye, Hugh! I caught 3 chain pickerel kept 2 not bad. 74 miles one way 1hr. 15 mins. Didn't get skunked thats good, have to try it again sometime. Thanks, JOASMON(Bart) :)

Dinner!

Offline krappie_king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie anyone?
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Hey deadsmelt, My buddy and I went out there today. A bunch of dink perch(2 keepers). Buddy caught a 9" walleye, Hugh! I caught 3 chain pickerel kept 2 not bad. 74 miles one way 1hr. 15 mins. Didn't get skunked thats good, have to try it again sometime. Thanks, JOASMON(Bart) :)

Dinner!
(Image removed from quote.)

hey any plans to go out this weekend. Keep me updated. I dont think well be able to hit Owasco this year, Next week its supposed to be all 50 plus degrees. Damn weather. Ill talk to you later. krappie krazy kid out.
Hello, you have reached John. I am currently fishing. Leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as Ice fishing becomes an olympic sport.

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2006, 10:17 PM »
hey any plans to go out this weekend. Keep me updated. I dont think well be able to hit Owasco this year, Next week its supposed to be all 50 plus degrees. d**n weather. Ill talk to you later. krappie krazy kid out.
I'm going to check Owasco tomarrow. I'll Let you know if any safe ice and how I did. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.