New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Canadarago Lake Ice fishing  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Venture

• IceShanty Rookie
Canadarago Lake Ice fishing
« on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:13 AM »
How is Canadarago Lake for winter fishing during warm winters?  Any one have any experience with this?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Canadarago Lake Ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:34 AM »
Welcome to the site Venture.
Any kind of fishing in  Canadarago has gone down hill.. Except the summer bass fishing...
Between the big fish kill from the algae bloom to the over pressure of fishing  the past few years its not worth my time.

Besides the lake was closed for 2 weeks this summer because of toxic algae.   It caused skin burns and a dog to die and others got sick..

You can take the chance but I'm going else where..... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Ooooh Cando. Used to be a great perch lake. Haven't fished it in three or four years. Unless your idea of a fun day is catching hundreds of 5" perch, don't waste your time. Your better off driving a little west of there and fishing the small lakes and reservoirs in Madison County.
Pete

Offline Venture

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2015, 04:55 PM »
I heard they put walleyes in over the summer to start thinning out the dink perch.  Any truth to that?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:01 PM »
They have been putting walleyes in there every summer for a long time.. ;)

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Has there been any stocking of Tigers or did that get shut down?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:28 PM »
I know they still do but not sure about the quantity..

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:30 PM »
As far as the walleyes the lakes walleye population is being supplemented with approximately 40,000 walleyes 4-5" in length annually through 2016 which at that time will be re-evaluated and most likely stocked once every 2-3 years.

Offline Venture

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2015, 07:56 AM »
So how do you ice fishermen deal with the lack of ice......Do you just use your boats, or wait until January/February?

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2015, 07:43 PM »
I'm not sure of the number of Walleye they've been stocking in Sacandaga but the fishing has improved for me since then. I'd think that 40,000/year would improve the fishing in there. I just watched a video of a couple of Russian sounding guys catching 27" walleye at Canadarago, funny stuff.....

Offline Venture

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2015, 08:15 AM »
Passed by Canadarago yesterday and saw several people out on boats hoping to get early Christmas presents.  Anybody from IceShanty out there yesterday?

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Used to be one of my favorite ice fishing haunts...Many days of hogs in the bucket...the fishing has gone down hill like others have mentioned. I have moved on from Cando.

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:43 AM »
She will get back to producing nice perch again. Then the hoards will return to get their share. It is a cycle, like hunting bunnies.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Shame what's happened. The twenty minute drive was convenient. Anyone catch any halfway decent gills through the ice the last couple of years?
Pete

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:53 AM »
but thats what happens when people over fish a lake... meaning taking more than what they need and keeping all the big breeding stock, going to be a lone time before that lake is good again. :'(
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:06 PM »
The lake will not come back until the ecosystem of the Lake is back in balance.  Only marine biologists may be able to figure out the ongoing problem.  From purple algae to pea soup conditions and alewives the size of trout...doesn't sound like over fishing to me..... 

Offline Venture

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:22 PM »
heard from an "old timer".... purple algae  is rare occurrence, occurring from lack of rain water.  Alewives should be cleaned out with the increase in walleye and resumption of Tigers.    Zebra mussels have filtered the lake pretty good, and even they have started to recede abit. I heard the worst issue is the ongoing lack of outflow control which in turn is related to the killing of the lake district taxing system by ? Spitzer.  that  would have helpped the lake owners immensely.

anyone have any Shur Katch lures?

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Need info pm Esoxman he knows the lake inside out for tigers.
Mr.Esox

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:20 AM »
I did two 15" perch there one day about 10-12 years ago, still my biggest perch anywhere.  Last time I tried, there were loads of dinks, hopefully the tigers and walleye will balance the lake out - I bet it gets good again. I think people are getting smarter about posting big catches on the internet - the next time it gets good you might actually have to go fish the lake and find out if it's good on your own, imagine that.

Offline Venture

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Out on the northern end of lake early this AM.  Iced over about 70', but still thin (went through near shore).  When do you think we'll be able to go out?

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:39 PM »
Temps look good for making ice. You might want to get yourself a spud bar to check that first ice.... It will help keep your sneakers dry..... ;D

Offline Shemus77

• IceShanty Rookie
Canadarago Lake?
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:35 PM »
Hey Guys,  Headed out on Sunday and was looking for any info on Canadarago Lake. I've never been there before and heard it has tigers and eyes. Does anyone know if this is even a good lake to fish. I have zero info on the lake but i'm looking for something new. Is there any access points? Im not looking for secret spots but Id like to know if its worth my time. Thanks guys.

Offline wbvitari

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Canadarago Lake?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Don't waste your time.... Fishing in this lake is not what it used to be.....
FLAG, FLAG...... FISH ON!!!!!

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Canadarago Lake?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Don't waste your time.... Fishing in this lake is not what it used to be.....
X2, check out some of the Madison county lakes if you're looking for panfish.
Pete

Offline Venture

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:16 AM »
Heard the Arrow Glass Boat Company used to sponsor ice fishing contests on the lake in the 1970's.  Anyone have any pictures?

Offline Shemus77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm heading in from Mass. on Sunday and from all the threads I'm reading most places are sketchy. My buddy is hot on the Great Sacandaga lake I hear that can be real slow. What are your thoughts on lake Pleasant or Piseco Lake?

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:55 AM »
sac is wide open main lake. bays may have enough ice not sure of any thickness

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:56 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm heading in from Mass. on Sunday and from all the threads I'm reading most places are sketchy. My buddy is hot on the Great Sacandaga lake I hear that can be real slow. What are your thoughts on lake Pleasant or Piseco Lake?
they might be okay by then, but there's snow on both just enough to cover them with patchy spots of ice showing. The shores were rough yesterday. Piseco had a spot in the center that looked to be just froze over last week. The rain has brought the lakes up and made the shore sketchy, in my opinion. Be aware and careful, that's all.

Offline Shemus77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Thanks fishy, were going to watch the weather and plan on heading up. Ill report when i get there and let you know what i find. Thanks a lot guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.