New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Walleye Set Up  (Read 4101 times)

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
Re: Walleye Set Up
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:42 PM »
I believe you your in trophy country, tip and rip. Different approaches, this jigging will allow you some  lighter lines with long rods. Sounds like you guys do well, your lucky to live where you do.
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:38 PM »
No need to go big on the line dawg...http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/hobbies/largest_fish_caught_on_1kg_line_world_record_set_by_Guy_Jacobsen_80167.htm

Okay google. The point i was trying to make really was that your trying to tell me that "you wont get many 30+" fish to hit a heavier leader".... your just wrong. I will show you proof lots of times right up till march 15th. Remind me, where do you fish walleyes? Im just curiius, Plattsburgh, Champlain? Truly just curious. Or do you come up this way? Or where?

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:26 AM »
Both sides are right, water clarity has alot to do with fish being line shy,On a lake such as Oneida the water is very clear,smaller leaders are preferred but not in all cases, yes you can land 10lb + fish with 4 to 6 lb test, I like to hedge my bets with running 20lb floro leaders on all my tipups, Jigging is a differant story,personal preference will prevail, Mine is Suffix 832 10lb with a 6 to 8 lb floro leader material tied on with a barrel swivel. Thats 3 cents worth not 2 :icefish: :icefish:

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Okay google. The point i was trying to make really was that your trying to tell me that "you wont get many 30+" fish to hit a heavier leader".... your just wrong. I will show you proof lots of times right up till march 15th. Remind me, where do you fish walleyes? Im just curiius, Plattsburgh, Champlain? Truly just curious. Or do you come up this way? Or where?

Black river. Oneida. Ontario. ADK's. Champlain. All regularly. Make yearly trips down to black river and slam em. Catch and release with some pics of the decent ones. Ice fish all the other spots. And it is true a heavy leader will turn away bigger fish... Pm me if you feel the need to reply so you don't bother the others.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:32 AM »

Hey no bother at all let's hear I have caught eyes from Ohio to Can , and I have my own opinions , so carry on boys

Offline QDAWG44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:58 AM »
4lb mono-barrel swivel -4lb fluoro. I'd rather be lighter than heavy. Never broke off with this.  I landed a 29" northern with 2lb mono fishing for gills last yr. No need to go heavy

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Black river. Oneida. Ontario. ADK's. Champlain. All regularly. Make yearly trips down to black river and slam em. Catch and release with some pics of the decent ones. Ice fish all the other spots. And it is true a heavy leader will turn away bigger fish... Pm me if you feel the need to reply so you don't bother the others.

Why would i PM you if i felt the need to reply? This is an ice fishing forum.. and we are having a casual debate on walleye leaders. Bother the others lmao?? Are you sure you know how a forum works lol?

Anyway.. if 4-6lb leaders work for you then good deal. I just cant imagine myself using them. And dont know a single person that fishes in my area that uses 4-6. Often guys will run into big muskies, big pike, ive even seen lake trout, ive personally caught several big sturgeon.

*** keep in mind i have been referring to tip up leaders this whole time.**** i am no master jig fisherman, I have no vex or marcum.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2015, 12:21 PM »

I know what you were talking about but the original post was about Oneida and it is a great jigging lake no need to tipup fish unless your just going to sit in one place all day but the jiggers do better just some moving around is all , see more perch caught on tipups than eyes

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2015, 12:32 PM »
My oneida rods consist of 4 lb braid with barrel swivel and 4lb mono leader for walleye and same for my perch rods just 2lb and 2lb and I change my leaders every other time out just because of wear and tear from fish and the edge of the hole.
"life aint no rehearsal boy,you only get one chance, you will learn it by the seat of your pants"

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I know what you were talking about but the original post was about Oneida and it is a great jigging lake no need to tipup fish unless your just going to sit in one place all day but the jiggers do better just some moving around is all , see more perch caught on tipups than eyes

Not much moving around on the river up here, you can only move so far without actually packing up and leaving and heading to a new place. I just fish from about 6am-830am. then again from 4pm-630pm, for walleyes. Tough to get them throughout the day.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2015, 01:57 PM »

I understand I have been around eyes in many places , but the poster was talking about Oneida Lake , but I do enjoy seeing your pics of those eyes , I have caught them to 12 lbs but Yet to keep them that big for the table

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.