New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Walleye Set Up  (Read 4101 times)

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye Set Up
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:26 AM »
What pound line are you guys runnin for eyes? Looking to make my first trip up to Oneida. Do guys run leaders or just a certain pound line?

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Walleye Set Up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:38 AM »
I'm relatively new to jigging for walleye, but the general idea I got from searching the forums have been 4-6# flouro or mono. If your catching some giants, 6-8# might be the way to go. The lakes I fish in WI have a lot of eater size eyes so I have my rods spooled with 6# micro ice just in case I hook a bigger one, but I could probably get away with 4#. Traditionally, I run tip-ups for walleye. 20-30 lb Dacron with anywhere from 12-24 inches of flourocarbon for a leader. Hope this helps. There's probably some guys that have better or more specific advice.
Stay frosty.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:33 AM »
no steel leaders necessary. it'll spook 'em
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:35 AM »
Fluoro leaders. Do not use 4-6lb fluoro leaders. Unless you are fishing for miniature walleyes. Ive been broken off on 12lb fluoro on 7-10 pound walleyes several times. Im bumping up to 17lb fluoro. Its still quite thin and im fishing crystal clear water and it works well. This is what my dad uses. Pile of 10-12 pounders.

Lots of guys up here are turning to micro braid for walleye leader material. 8-10lb Fireline crystal is nice.

3ft leaderbwith a split shot a foot up. If your in heavy current, add some slide weights above the lwader and maybe an extra split shot on the leader.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:43 AM »
For jigging I use fire line 4# with a 6#trans optic leader for eyes II to 25" On bigger I jump to 6# fire line with an 8# or 10#trans optic leader , but this line needs to be fished warm , inside a shack

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:45 AM »
I don't think ya  need  to go that heavy  ,not here at least ......  braid is a nice  choose  lots of  guys like it  I prefer  6 lb mono  but that's  just me and I  tie  directly to the main line .....that's just me ,I'm sure there are better ways

filetand release  knows what he's talking about ...it's just to  technical for me

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:50 AM »
Thanks Trapp but lots of my buds like 6# P-Lne for eyes to the 25" ers , and I always use a barrel swivel for line twist almostly fish horizontal jigs which produce a lot of line twist

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:02 AM »
you know  those eyes better  then anybody!  my  vote  would  go with you...I'm a  flat fish man

Offline C.A.M.O.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "CLOSED TODAY" Gone Ice Fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:03 AM »
Thanks Trapp but lots of my buds like 6# P-Lne for eyes to the 25" ers , and I always use a barrel swivel for line twist almostly fish horizontal jigs which produce a lot of line twist
Very Good choice X 2
Clam Tundra
Humminbird ICE 688ci HD
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 XP
2015 Polaris Adventure 144 550

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:01 AM »
x3

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:04 AM »
Oneida set-up - Medium Light to Medium action rod with a 500-1000 series spinning reel. 6lb braid/micro swivel/4-6lb Flouro if you're in a heated house. 6lb mono/micro swivel/4-6lb Flouro if you're fishing outside.

I fish Lake Ontario eyes often. My biggest a touch over 12lbs, and I run 10lb braid/10lb Flouro and I have NEVER broken one off. There is no need for 17lb line for a Walleye. They don't even fight. People wouldn't even fish for them if they didn't taste yummy! The hardest part is lining them up at the hole.

P-Line has never sat well with me. Used it bass fishing back in my younger days, and it seemed it couldn't handle a knick very well. I have had very good success with McCoy's Flouro, Seaguar, and Gamma.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Have caught up to 8lbers and use 4lb mono typically. Never broke a fish off. I would suggest slightly heavier if it's all your gonna fish with but I get lazy and just use my heavier panfish rods when I hit my walleye spot

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:08 AM »
I don't think ya  need  to go that heavy  ,not here at least ......  braid is a nice  choose  lots of  guys like it  I prefer  6 lb mono  but that's  just me and I  tie  directly to the main line .....that's just me ,I'm sure there are better ways

filetand release  knows what he's talking about ...it's just to  technical for me

How big of walleyes do you catch? I think the question was about tip ups. Maybe not.. I cant believe you guys use 6lb leaders. You must not get into very many 30+" fish...

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Sorry, I guess I only specified # for jigging. On tip-ups I'll use 8-10# flouro if Pike aren't a problem. If pike are present, I'll go up to 14 but still never use steel unless I'm targeting pike.
Stay frosty.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Steel leaders are way overkill. You can catch big eyes on 6-8# flouro and razor sharp hooks. You don't need to set the hook like you are pull starting a lawn mower. Take em slow and gaff em. Done. I also use flouro for big pike, they are lethargic and make a few runs maybe but not probs at all.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:59 AM »
What pound line are you guys runnin for eyes? Looking to make my first trip up to Oneida. Do guys run leaders or just a certain pound line?

First two questions:
Where and how are you fishing?  Third question - how big are the eyes you are targeting?

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:09 AM »
My walleye setup consists of 30 lb fire line with a 3 foot long 10 lb seagaur floro leader.

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:15 AM »
20-30 lb braid? ??? Are you guys fishing for salmon? 4 lb test works for me just fine. NEVER had a walleye break me off and I've caught some that were double digits. If I'm fishing for GIANT walleye(quinte or GL) 8-10lb braid with a fluoro leader will be enough. If your drag is set properly, you won't have any issues

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:25 AM »
How big of walleyes do you catch? I think the question was about tip ups. Maybe not.. I cant believe you guys use 6lb leaders. You must not get into very many 30+" fish...

The thing is you wont get into many 30+'' fish with heavier line. By the time those fish hit 25+'' those suckers are smart and spooky...6# would be a great choice, go with 8# if you think you need it, but really 6# is all you need.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:38 AM »
The thing is you wont get into many 30+'' fish with heavier line. By the time those fish hit 25+'' those suckers are smart and spooky...6# would be a great choice, go with 8# if you think you need it, but really 6# is all you need.

Really because my dad uses 17lb fluoro and has caught more walleyes over 30 inches/10 pounds then i can count. My brother uses braid leader and catches a lot of big ones. I know several guys who catch more 30" fish in one season up here then a lot of guys donin a lifetime, and they use 20lb braid leaders.

Maybe 6-8lb on a jigging rod? But on a tip up? No.. just no. Everytime i go walleye fishing i expect to catch atleast 1 fish minimum of 7-8 pounds. 6-8lb leader on tip up + big walleyes = failure. Ive been broken off twice on big eyes already this year on 12lb fluoro. No B.S.'ing here..

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:45 AM »
I'm agreeing with northernnyice on the tipup rigging here.  Jigging - different story, different book.

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Really because my dad uses 17lb fluoro and has caught more walleyes over 30 inches/10 pounds then i can count. My brother uses braid leader and catches a lot of big ones. I know several guys who catch more 30" fish in one season up here then a lot of guys donin a lifetime, and they use 20lb braid leaders.

Maybe 6-8lb on a jigging rod? But on a tip up? No.. just no. Everytime i go walleye fishing i expect to catch atleast 1 fish minimum of 7-8 pounds. 6-8lb leader on tip up + big walleyes = failure. Ive been broken off twice on big eyes already this year on 12lb fluoro. No B.S.'ing here..
17lb test for walleye ice fishing??  I dont use 17lb test open water for walleye. Even on Erie where just about every walleye you catch is 6 lbs or more. He's fishing Oneida and MOST guys don't even set tipups for walleye on Oneida, there's NO need. My laker setup is 10-12 lb braid and if your drag is right or you don't horse them to the hole on tipups you won't break off

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:51 AM »
On Oneida the highest test I use is 6#. 6# fire line with 5# flouro leaders is on 2 of my rods. The other 2 I bring are 4# fire line crystal with no leader and I have 6# straight mono rod I use when I'm in less than 20'. Most fish you'll hook into will be under 26". It's a lake full of good eater size eyes. It doesn't produce "trophy" sized eyes like Erie or Ontario waters.

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:57 AM »
And I don't know of any of the Oneida regulars that use tip ups. Oneida eyes like to chase bait. Minnows just sitting there don't do much for them.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:58 AM »
17lb test for walleye ice fishing??  I dont use 17lb test open water for walleye. Even on Erie where just about every walleye you catch is 6 lbs or more. He's fishing Oneida and MOST guys don't even set tipups for walleye on Oneida, there's NO need. My laker setup is 10-12 lb braid and if your drag is right or you don't horse them to the hole on tipups you won't break off

My average fish is 5 pounds dawg. No horsing them.. if they swalow it and that line is running across their teeth. Good luck!

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:11 AM »
My average fish is 5 pounds dawg. No horsing them.. if they swalow it and that line is running across their teeth. Good luck!
Kudos, but hes NOT fishing where you do. Hes fishing ONEIDA LAKE. Thats why I use FLUORO or MONO. Take your 20-30lb braid, pull it tight, and touch it with a butter knife. It cuts VERY easy. Now try that with 4-6 lb mono or fluoro. That's why I use fluoro or mono as a leader with braid. A big one at Oneida is 5lbs. 17 lb test at Oneida is overkill, even if he is using tipups

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:33 AM »
Thats why I use FLUORO or MONO. Take your 20-30lb braid, pull it tight, and touch it with a butter knife. It cuts VERY easy. Now try that with 4-6 lb mono or fluoro. That's why I use fluoro or mono as a leader with braid. A big one at Oneida is 5lbs. That's where he is fishing. 17 lb at Oneida is overkill, even if he is using tipups

Lol pull any fishing line tight and touch it with a knife... i know braid is not abrasion resistant but it seems to hold up decent on walleyes. I mix and match fluoro and micro braid. I dont use 20-30lb braid. Only people i know. I use 6lb fire line crystal or fluoro. But heavier then 4-6lb fluoro. Hey if you can get away with getting your walleyes with that light line then awesome, hammer down. Maybe you guys are all better fishermen then me lol. These walleyes up here in the fast current are charged up. Walleyes on cocaine lol. Just the though of 4-6lb fluoro with a big walleye on makes me nervous lol.

I guess the moral of the story here is that different people have lwarned to getnit done different ways. Do what you gotta do to get it done lol.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Wow, more than "different strokes for different folks" this highlights fishing different waters more than anything.

I used to fish Chaumont alot more than I do now, & have caught my share of big eyes, yes heavier line, but never over 10lb.

I could never image jigging eyes on Oneida with over 6lb.

I often use 4 & 4lb for both leader & line.

Also the bite itself is different, rare is the fish that "swallows" the jig.  An aggressive strike & the whole jig maybe completely in the mouth, most often though hooked just inside the jaw.
imho

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:28 PM »

well I learned a lot here thanks guys  ;D

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:18 PM »

No need to go big on the line dawg...http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/hobbies/largest_fish_caught_on_1kg_line_world_record_set_by_Guy_Jacobsen_80167.htm
Loving the Adirondacks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.