New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Why I hate Otisco lake  (Read 1898 times)

Offline bassmastermark

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If you're not casting, you're not catching
Why I hate Otisco lake
« on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Always have bad luck on Otisco lake. I hate fishing it but I want to catch the hybrid fake fish they stock called the tiger Muskie. And never get one. Any tips for catching tiger Muskie out of the lake on tip ups?
May your holes on the ice be larger than the fish brought to it.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: Why I hate Otisco lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Always have bad luck on Otisco lake. I hate fishing it but I want to catch the hybrid fake fish they stock called the tiger Muskie. And never get one. Any tips for catching tiger Muskie out of the lake on tip ups?

fish the northern bay and you should have a great chance.... caught 7 or 8 there in 2 days and about 20 bass

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Otisco is a tuff lake sometimes its great to me but most the time you have to work for em . For tigers on tip ups your best bet is to get some med to large shiners, and run them from just under the ice in the shallows and as you get in to deeper water you can run them down to 15'.  I tend to stay just under the ice to a couple feet down in any depth of water .  :tipup:
Sax

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:55 PM »
tiger muskies????  who  told  you  there  was  tiger muskies .......

fish north of  the narrows  ...I  use  the  gaint shiners I catch there and  they are  giants ...I  run then  from a  foot below the  ice  to maybe  4 ....hen the  wait  begins ...I  suggest  ya   relax and  jig 8000 blue gills while you wait and  have  fun ......  you do realize  this is  called  fishing!  not  just catching .....when you catch a good  tiger  it's all worth it it's  like  catching a  northern on meth ..... 

Offline bassmastermark

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If you're not casting, you're not catching
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:41 PM »
thanks guys! what about walleyes? i heard there are walleyes in there but never see anybody pull them up.
May your holes on the ice be larger than the fish brought to it.

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:45 PM »
I'm not a tip up fisherman and do my best to pretend to be one. I've caught quite a few on Otisco but mostly open water. I might set out traps a half dozen times a year on nice sunny days.  Some things I can recommend: 1. Jig up some golden shiners. They are like candy for norlunge. 2. Set your bait high. Like 2' under the ice or no deeper than 5'. 3. Move your spread around. At first I line mine up going from shore to deep water about every 20 yards. When I land one that becomes the pitchers mound and the other 4 become the bases. If no more flags I start moving the diamond where I think they might be. Second base becomes the pitchers mound and new holes for the bases type strategy. I jig for pan fish in the infield while I wait for flags. About 6 holes or so spread out that I hop around to. I haven't done this in a few years. Just might have to dust them off some time this year.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:22 AM »
Ive gotten a few tigers jigging..what a blast fighting a tiger on a jigging rod..swedish pimple was looking fer perch when it hit was fishing arojnd turtle bay..

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Once you catch one of those " fake fish ", you will no longer think that way. A tiger muskie is very real and will outsmart you every time if you do not know what to expect. I target these fake hybrids because they are nuts! Pick good structure heading out toward deep water, stick with it as these fish roam, and put in the time! I go days without having a flag. But when it happens, it's all worth it.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:22 PM »
thanks guys! what about walleyes? i heard there are walleyes in there but never see anybody pull them up.
I've caught one in the 10 years of ice fishing there .
Sax

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.