New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cayuga Lake BS thread  (Read 4084 times)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cayuga Lake BS thread
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Thanks tom700..

Offline perchice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Although Harris Park may seem like a good place to fish, people need to be aware of the constantly changing ice conditions there. Because the channel is so close to the shore it creates alot of current in there. I have seen my holes in 8" of clear black ice get undermined to less than an inch in an hour. Needless to say I do not fish there any more. I watched a guy fall in that day and I put the spud through several times on the way back in :o. This was after people had been fishing it for weeks and it had been very cold for at least a month straight. People do fish it, but that doesnt mean it is safe!!! ;)

Offline hardwater22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Any perch and pickerel near beacon bay today?

Offline Tom700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Any perch and pickerel near beacon bay today?

no pickerel today, lots and lots of perch though

Offline Fisher4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bout that time!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Although Harris Park may seem like a good place to fish, people need to be aware of the constantly changing ice conditions there. Because the channel is so close to the shore it creates alot of current in there. I have seen my holes in 8" of clear black ice get undermined to less than an inch in an hour. Needless to say I do not fish there any more. I watched a guy fall in that day and I put the spud through several times on the way back in :o. This was after people had been fishing it for weeks and it had been very cold for at least a month straight. People do fish it, but that doesnt mean it is safe!!! ;)
After looking where Harris Park was, I was a little concerned about there being current coming through there. Maybe just get on the ice there and head south? Perhaps you can point us in a safer direction... What depths does everyone prefer fishing for perch? ;D

Offline Tom700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:11 PM »
I usually park there and head south a mile or 2 depending on the amount of people. I usually prefer 15 to 20'
 :tipup:

Offline perchice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2015, 01:18 AM »
After looking where Harris Park was, I was a little concerned about there being current coming through there. Maybe just get on the ice there and head south? Perhaps you can point us in a safer direction... What depths does everyone prefer fishing for perch? ;D

It's a tough lake for access on the east side. Without talking to some land owners there aren't too many options. I have known of people coming out of Harris and walking directly south to get out there and that's probably the safest idea for that area. The easiest hassle free spot is lower lake rd in Canoga. Most people try and fish the 10 ft  channel but it is a mile walk from either side. You can catch them inside of that if you get tired. To get to any deeper than that would be about a 2 mile hike or around a half mile south of the twin buoys. I have not been out yet this year so cannot say what the ice conditions are that far south.

Offline hardwater22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Great fishing this morning. Fat 18inch LMB, 2 pickerel over 22inches, and 4 keeper perch. Water started getting cloudy around 1 so I packed up

Offline aaayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:13 PM »
fished today and was tough. caught some perch but all were small

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2015, 04:41 PM »
I am sure the ice is still solid but how is the water clarity? Seamed to me that I was getting worse as the day went on last Saturday.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline Tom700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I am sure the ice is still solid but how is the water clarity? Seamed to me that I was getting worse as the day went on last Saturday.

I went out for a little while this afternoon and it seemed pretty murky

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2015, 02:12 PM »
I'm looking to fish Cayuga for the first time this week. Any of you guys have any pointers? Where is the best place to park? I'll have my sled l. I mainly fish Oneida but need a change of scenery! Thanks

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I'm looking to fish Cayuga for the first time this week. Any of you guys have any pointers? Where is the best place to park? I'll have my sled l. I mainly fish Oneida but need a change of scenery! Thanks
Check out twin oaks campground between Cayuga and union springs. Can park and run sled towards channel, stay just around east edge of channel 9-12 flow.
icejohn

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:18 PM »
Ok I'll check that out. When you say channel do you mean at the very north end of the lake? It looks like a narrow ditch that runs down through there. How's the ice? Is there any areas to watch out for?

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:31 AM »
Ok I'll check that out. When you say channel do you mean at the very north end of the lake? It looks like a narrow ditch that runs down through there. How's the ice? Is there any areas to watch out for?
Not the very north end. This spot is about 6 miles south of the northern most tip - east side. All areas seem to be very good there - lots of ice, lots of snow. Ice is about 1/2 and 1/2 black and white, anywhere from 9 - 12" thick.
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:01 AM »
Where are the gills hiding i used to catch them out by frontnac island ... ???

Offline aaayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:26 AM »
i have been up there about 6 times now. go out in front of fire lane 12-13. and have not had a very good year so far. was up there saturday and it was miserable and only caught about 20 between the two of us. not even seeing many perch.

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Ok so it doesn't matter which part of the channel as long as you're In the channel? I see a lot of 13-14 foot holes in there on navionics. On oneida usually if you can find a hole you can find the perch. Does this hold true on cayuga?

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Fished the north end on Saturday, conditions really suck bad, need a sled, no wheelers at all.
Lots of slush, Wind blew 30+, we hunkered down, moved once, fishing sucked, three keepers all day.
I know it shows holes on navionics, but they are very subtle if at all! There is a channel but it isn't
really a "ditch" per say. Fishing will get better in a couple of weeks!

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Boy that's not very encouraging! Lol may have to stick with Oneida. How is fishing the channel north of the railroad? It looks more like a "ditch" up there?

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:33 AM »
I would NEVER fish north of the tracks, that's asking for a swim!

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Lol ok I'm glad I asked then! Would you say it's worth giving it a try or should I just stick with old faithful?

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2015, 02:07 PM »
too much current north of the tracks, there is never any safe ice in there.
In fact just south of the tracks(bridge) it appears ice is very inconsistent,
based on reports in here.
I don't fish that close to the tracks, I'm always down by the twin buoys.

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Well I meant Cayuga in general. Sorry about that. I'll take your word for it you won't see me anywhere near there!

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:51 PM »
I would NEVER fish north of the tracks, that's asking for a swim!
Agreed
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline AlaskaGrown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Going to try my luck on the south end tomorrow for the first time. Normally fish the North end but last time it was hell getting out with the wheeler with all the snow. Any pointers for the South end?

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #56 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Be cautious on the south end. The ice is usually not as good as the north end - it sees
way more wind.  That being said, the south end is shallow. I guess I would recommend
getting over the deepest water you can safely. The ice currently extends a couple miles
north from Stewart Park but I would be willing to bet its not safe much north of NY Board Sailing.
when in doubt - SPUD!

Good luck snd be safe
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Going to get out and try Sun. Hoping the slop at Union Springs has gotten better??
Maybe someone can help me out, I would the same.

hinkydo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.