New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lipping a pickerel while being checked by an ECO  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lipping a pickerel while being checked by an ECO
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:01 AM »
define state official!

The holder of a license shall exhibit it on demand to any police officer, peace office, or the owner, lessee, or other person in control of the lands or waters on which the license holder is present.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:06 AM »
Nope he was sober before and after. Rofl

I don't believe this.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:44 AM »
The holder of a license shall exhibit it on demand to any police officer, peace office, or the owner, lessee, or other person in control of the lands or waters on which the license holder is present.
Well said Oldtimer.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:08 AM »
I have a friend that always manages to get bit every season, and I don't know if it's the cold or something in their saliva but you bleed like crazy. I too am guilty of lipping fish I probably shouldn't. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. As far as law enforcement any law enforcement agency, state, local, county, etc. can enforce any law on the books as long as they are of course aware of the law. It's the same reason an ECO can pull you over for speeding or no seatbelt they aren't limited to environmental law. Here on the Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo the last few seasons when we actually had ice I was checked by a group a state troopers more than the DEC. The one season they came out so often that they would  recognize us and were more interested in fishing reports than checking us or anyone in our group.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I just use a mailing label and cover it with clear packing tape.  Lasts a season or two.  I've been checked a few times.  They do look at this stuff.  These labels have passed every time.  Also, don't forget that you have to label your shanty with name and address.  If memory serves, they want 3" letters.  My portables have little pouches right on them with a clear window.  Just write on cardboard and slip it in there.
Grady

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:52 AM »
The one season they came out so often that they would  recognize us and were more interested in fishing reports than checking us or anyone in our group.
That happened to us for past 2 years. Same DEC guy comes out and checks the local lakes. Checked us twice in 2 days..after that he would walk up and say oh I have checked you before, your good. He actually stays and BS's with us for a while. Pretty cool guy. He told us usually 1 out of every 5 groups of guys he checks he ends up writing ticket for something illegal. Is it just me or DEC literally appear out of nowhere?

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:43 PM »
That happened to us for past 2 years. Same DEC guy comes out and checks the local lakes. Checked us twice in 2 days..after that he would walk up and say oh I have checked you before, your good. He actually stays and BS's with us for a while. Pretty cool guy. He told us usually 1 out of every 5 groups of guys he checks he ends up writing ticket for something illegal. Is it just me or DEC literally appear out of nowhere?
They can be really sneaky. Usually they have been watching and know who is up to no good before they even let anyone know they're there. If you're legal and up front with them they're usually pretty good aside from the few that have what I call the "Dredd" complex but every law enforcement agency has a few, usually rookies out to make a name for themselves. We were trout fishing and got checked and informed the ECO that where we were night fishing crappie there were guys taking short and out of season fish and that night he was there in plain clothes and he let the poachers do their thing and out of nowhere comes his backup. We were there for a few hours and recognized the plain clothes guy but never once saw his backup 'till they popped out of the dark. 

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Good if they weren't sneaky they would never catch the slobs that disrespect our resources and give all of us a bad name.

Offline fxd79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2013, 02:57 PM »
Good if they weren't sneaky they would never catch the slobs that disrespect our resources and give all of us a bad name.

Couldn't agree more.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:01 PM »
DEC stopped us on lake George. All on quads with another plain clothed guy with a diferent color quad with them..All had augers on the front of the quads. When they we checking us we asked if they fish too cause of the augers we saw. They laughed and told us the auger was just a decoy. Leaves people to believe they are just guys on quads so they can get that much closer to you before you reconize they are DEC and have a chance to get rid of illegal evidence ex. throwing fish back down the hole, pulling extra tip ups etc.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:21 PM »
you  guys   lib  fish  with  teeth  that  ain't  worth  feeding  to  sea gulls?????????  omg   what  do  you  do  if  you  see a  quarter  in  a  urinal?????

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Conesusguy: As others have stated on this thread, name and address on tip-ups and tip-downs has been around for at least 60 years. As a teen I fished Lake Erie for blue and yellow pike. Needed names on tip-ups back then. I stated as a NYS Game Protector in 1957 at the tender age of 21 (later changed to Envir. Cons. Officer). I checked for names and address back then. A question that I used to receive is: I lend my tip-ups to a relative several times a winter and it's a pain changing the names on the tip-ups each time. NO NEED, there may be several names and address on one tip-up !! The law just states "the operator must have their name, address on each tip-up" And yes, at one time you could leave you tip-ups in all night, that was mostly on Oneida and it was a LONG, LONG time ago !! Multi tags also applies to traps when trapping fur bearing animals.   JTP

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:49 PM »
you  guys   lib  fish  with  teeth  that  ain't  worth  feeding  to  sea gulls?????????  omg   what  do  you  do  if  you  see a  quarter  in  a  urinal?????
::) Do you know what a natural reflex is?? Who cares how big it was. Do I say anything bout guys sitting there getting all excited over catching pan fish?? Absolutlely no need for your comment. If you don't have anything positive or worthy to add keep it to yourself.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:01 PM »
::) Do you know what a natural reflex is?? Who cares how big it was. Do I say anything bout guys sitting there getting all excited over catching pan fish?? Absolutlely no need for your comment. If you don't have anything positive or worthy to add keep it to yourself.
  if  in  fact  my  "joking  is  offensive  to  you  ,  you  merely  can   ignor  it !   or  you  could  have  been  a  gentilman  and  e  mailed  me  ....  but  seeing  you  did  it  in  the   open  then  i  will  respond  to  you  in  the  same  manor  ... "humor"   humor  is  apart  of  the   sportsmen  world   example    ed  zern  exit  laughing   field  and  stream .....  jeff  foxworthys   spot  light  on  deer  hunting  (  joking  about   jacking  deer) ....even  ted   nugents   song   "kiss  my  a__"  makes  humor   of  out  outdoor  activitys  ....  so  i  answer   your   question  with  a  question  or  two   DO  you  know  what  humor  is?   do  you  like  to look  at  your  self  and  laugh  ?  Do  you  understand   people  joke?  now   stop   being  such  a  poop   go   catch  a  fish   make  a  joke  and  try  LAUGHING   instead  of  wearing  a  sour  face  ,life  is  to  short!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:04 PM »
If it was a joke then i apologize. Hard to tell on these sites. Didn't mean to offend. I thought your post was meant to be offensive. I'm in it for the sport dont care how big or small things are or if I catch fish or not

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Trapper your posts are always entertaining and often contain useful info.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:09 PM »
If it was a joke then i apologize. Hard to tell on these sites. Didn't mean to offend. I thought your post was meant to be offensive. I'm in it for the sport dont care how big or small things are or if I catch fish or not

well  i'm  to  old  to  fight  and   your  to  smart  too  so  what  do  ya  say  we  just  have  a  laugh   and    enjoy  each  others   computor   company   and    by  the  way  i  grabed  a  salmon   in  the  mouth  and   he  started  floping  tore  my  hand  up  ....so  i  have   those  reflexs  too   ;D  it's  all   good  my  friend   ...no  harm   no  fowl  ....play  ball!!!!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:12 PM »

well  i'm  to  old  to  fight  and   your  to  smart  too  so  what  do  ya  say  we  just  have  a  laugh   and    enjoy  each  others   computor   company   and    by  the  way  i  grabed  a  salmon   in  the  mouth  and   he  started  floping  tore  my  hand  up  ....so  i  have   those  reflexs  too   ;D  it's  all   good  my  friend   ...no  harm   no  fowl  ....play  ball!!!!
Well said! ;D

Offline EvanW86

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fresh hardwater fish. the best
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:20 PM »
 R u two gonna kiss and make up now. How cute  :-* :unsure: :unsure: lol.
Just another day on the ice!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:29 PM »
R u two gonna kiss and make up now. How cute  :-* :unsure: :unsure: lol.
[/quote

naaaa    but  i   rather   smile   then   not ;D

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I'm still fairly new to the site. Still haven't learned who the trouble makers are and aren't. All good budders

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 PM »
I'm still fairly new to the site. Still haven't learned who the trouble makers are and aren't. All good budders

theres  a  guy  named  HT   watch  out  for  him  !!!!  followed   by  a  guy  named  RG !!!!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:06 PM »
yep :roflmao: :roflmao: ::) i knew it wouldnt be too long before i got dragged into this ::) ::) ;D well if i must say......... ::) i have fell victum to the same thing a time or 2. i stuck my hand into a Kings mouth down in oswgeo years ago and it was not pretty at all. this was back when we did not have the digital cameras so no pictures but it was not good at all ::) ::) ::) ;D i did get bit by a northern a couple of years ago and it spent a year hanging from my basket ball hoop ::) ::) ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:18 PM »
I once watched a guy attempt to lip a tiger musky>>>  he heard me screaming at him and stopped at the last second, then acted as if it was my fault when he went back down the hole and broke him off.... never even thanked me for savin him a trip to the ER for stitches
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Well I get my quarters out of urinals and prefer my seaguls to starve.  I hate seaguls more than I dislike snot rockets.

Offline EvanW86

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fresh hardwater fish. the best
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Well this is alot of b@!! bustin on here theres not alot of jerks here but you will b able to tell. Have a fun time its here for the bustin and reports
Just another day on the ice!!!

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Used to go pike fishing with a guy who would (at least one time every trip) lose a pike at the hole and fire his whole arm (up to the armpit) down the hole trying to grab the fish.  Not once was he successful in retrieving the fish.  100% successful at being cold, wet, and miserable for the rest of the day. 
Mark it 8 dude

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:20 PM »
yep :roflmao: :roflmao: ::) i knew it wouldnt be too long before i got dragged into this ::) ::) ;D well if i must say......... ::) i have fell victum to the same thing a time or 2. i stuck my hand into a Kings mouth down in oswgeo years ago and it was not pretty at all. this was back when we did not have the digital cameras so no pictures but it was not good at all ::) ::) ::) ;D i did get bit by a northern a couple of years ago and it spent a year hanging from my basket ball hoop ::) ::) ;D
How did you get up there to hang it from your hoop!?   ;D
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:48 PM »
deadeyes   i   think   the  boy   tossed  him  and  the  fish  up  there  i  heard  storys  of  him  hanging  from  it  till  someone  let  him  down :roflmao:

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:49 PM »
deadeyes   i   think   the  boy   tossed  him  and  the  fish  up  there  i  heard  storys  of  him  hanging  from  it  till  someone  let  him  down :roflmao:
:woot: :roflmao:
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.