New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Why don't 4 Wheeler guys get it  (Read 6555 times)

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
Why don't 4 Wheeler guys get it
« on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:12 AM »
I understand that people want to use their 4 wheelers but when there is a lot of snow and slush underneath what you need is the lightest thing you can find with the biggest footprint. 4 wheelers are just the opposite Very heavy with 4 small footprints I see guys out their all the time with wheelers struggling to get to their fishing spots. All that work to get there would take the fun out of it for me. Tires spinning not going anywhere and then your stuck. Work your ass off to get out, go twenty yards and stuck again. I just don't get it. I would rather put on a pair of snowshoes and walk with a pack basket or a small sled. Ice fishing is supposed to be relaxing and fun. ??? 

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
Re: Why don't 4 Wheeler guys get it
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:30 AM »
To each his own, Oldbuck

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:06 PM »
some people dont have the money to buy snowmobiles. atvs can be used all year. and i like to take all my gear. This is the first year i have had a problem with slush. Its a tuff year for fishing but we will do everything we can to do it.

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:11 PM »
boom :o
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Really dude ?  Ice Shanty is supposed to be fun and relaxing and you sit here and complain because someone wants to drive there 4 wheeler to there spot ? ???

I will just never understand some people....

As long as somebody isn't doing something with there 4 wheeler that they shouldn't be, like run my stuff over then I could care less what someone else does.  Just my 2 cents..

as someone else said to each is there own.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:15 PM »
I grew up here in Sullivan county and back when I was a kid the Catskill Hotels were a big draw all winter long for the City folks every weekend.

We all drove 4 wheel drive trucks and always carried tow chains. Every weekend if it snowed we would drive between exits along Rt. 17 and pull the slickers out of the ditch at $20 or $30 a pop.

We always wondered why these fools would even come here with no snow tires or, worse yet, bald tires. Laughed all the way to the bank after every good weekend too!

My ATV has been in dry dock most of this winter for exactly the reasons stated and so have I been in dry dock because this snow and slush is a heart attack looking for a place to happen.

Even with chains all around, once your machine gets high centered you are dead in the hard water. Pray for a warm spell and some warm rain followed by a good cold snap.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:19 PM »
My ATV goes through slush and ice with no problem. My 4x4 truck goes through snow with no problem while matchbox cars are off the road. Why are they on the road? It's their choice.

Offline EarlyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:20 PM »
SUMMER

WINTER

Relaxing......and fun  ;D

Listen to this guy
           |
           |
           V

To each his own, Oldbuck

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:56 PM »
I wish i had a wheeler. Dragging my sled with all my gear and my clam summit on top of it all gets pretty rough sometimes. Oh well. Im still a young enough to man up. :)

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I say try whatever you got....Been on Keuka and seen people riding bikes pulling their gear.  Use whatever you got get suck get yourself out no skin off my back.

To each his own, Oldbuck
;

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:14 PM »
I say try whatever you got....Been on Keuka and seen people riding bikes pulling their gear.  Use whatever you got get suck get yourself out no skin off my back.

I always thought about a dirt bike... :)
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:24 PM »
with spikes in the tires!

JJ

« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:39 PM »
I understand that people want to use their 4 wheelers but when there is a lot of snow and slush underneath what you need is the lightest thing you can find with the biggest footprint. 4 wheelers are just the opposite Very heavy with 4 small footprints I see guys out their all the time with wheelers struggling to get to their fishing spots. All that work to get there would take the fun out of it for me. Tires spinning not going anywhere and then your stuck. Work your ass off to get out, go twenty yards and stuck again. I just don't get it. I would rather put on a pair of snowshoes and walk with a pack basket or a small sled. Ice fishing is supposed to be relaxing and fun. ??? 

Hope you sleep good tonight now that you got that off your chest, you've obviously been holding that in way too long. ;D

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Earlyice thats how we roll.

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:38 AM »
Really dude ?  Ice Shanty is supposed to be fun and relaxing and you sit here and complain because someone wants to drive there 4 wheeler to there spot ? ???

As long as somebody isn't doing something with there 4 wheeler that they shouldn't be, like run my stuff over then I could care less what someone else does.  Just my 2 cents..

Im not complaining, and Im not trying to start an argument. I have a 4 wheeler myself. Im just saying there are easier ways to get out there.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:50 AM »
 EaryIce those are great pics , to each their own and at least you got it off the ice

Offline griff5939

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:10 AM »
I agree.  What is with 4 wheelers getting stuck?  I understand that they potentially save time and energy; I am slightly jealous of this ability.  However in the nasty slush we are currently going through, it seems unproductive to use a 4 wheeler.  I watched a guy on Oneida, about two weeks ago, before the slush got really bad, spend almost 45 minutes riding to a place that took me about 15 minutes to walk to.    He continually got stuck, had no chains/studded tires, and basically had to push his machine across the ice.  To me this seemed like a much less enjoyable endeavor then sucking it up and dragging a sled.  At this time it seemed far more productive to either walk or use a snowmbile.  During that walk I rarely broke through.  I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  Likewise everyone should also accept the consequences of their own actions.  Sometimes 4 wheelers are just not suitable. 

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:18 AM »
If they want to get stuck, let them get stuck!  Some people might not have the ability to walk very far, but can deal with getting stuck now and then getting to their fishing spot.

It is when ATVs start doing doughnuts around me that I get angry.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline IceHawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icefishing is as close to heaven as i can get!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:23 AM »
HEY IF YOU WANT TO COME DRAG MY 500LBS OF EQUIPMENT OUT WITH YOUR SNOWSHOES YOUR MORE THAN WELCOME

Offline tomsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:18 AM »
Plenty of reaction to this subject. I am a quad owner and I love it. This is the first year in a long, long time that we've had terrible ice conditions that are affecting my ice fishing/riding so I say   ... to each his own, live and let live as long as they respect your space, why bother.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Last year i saw a few guys heading on to early ice W/ their wooden shanty, and all their gear stacked on top of a wheeler like a jenga game. As i sat there on a slow day i thought to myself " this ought to be good". They started down the launch ramp to the ice, a man on each side trying to steady the heavy load. They didn't even get a chance to sink it, because as they got onto the lake, the right two tires went through to the handle bar which heaved the shanty and all the gear onto the ice. The shanty broke up, tip-ups bait and all scattered, guys stood in awe. They argued a while, grabbed what they could and loaded back in the truck and went for help. Two hours later they returned with reenforcements. They picked up the pieces of the shanty, unstuck the wheeler, loaded up and went home.   I was far enough out that i could not leave my gear and felt a little bad that i could not help, but i did appreciate the show however.       

Offline EarlyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:49 AM »
  I always thought about a dirt bike... :)

There's a track and ski kit made for dirt bikes  ;)

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Why is this thread still here? Enough already. This year I've read more Bi$%@#** than in the past two combined.

Offline oglenforfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:34 PM »
this is why you own both a atv and a snowmobile/////// one for snow///// one for none! ;D :thumbsup:

ATV+SNOW= :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
SNOWMOBILE+SNOW= ;D ;D
SNOWMOBILE IN THE SNOW WE HAVE ON NOT GROOMED TRAILS= :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:41 PM »
im with you oletimer.

Offline nhbigdrake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:45 PM »

thats what im saying !
bad day fishin's better than a good day of workn'

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2011, 02:15 PM »
I don't care what anyone uses to get out on the ice. I own a 4 wheeler that really is great but it is not worth the trouble until this snow hardens up a lot!

Dragging my gear out is one thing but dragging or pushing my ATV is a total PITA!

On the flip side, I get to use my ATV at least 10 months out of every year for fun and the rest to plow my driveway with. I only ever had one snowmobile and in 4 years I think I used it 5 or 6 times and had to travel 4 hours north to the ADK mountains to have any real fun. Around here they are useless most of the time.

What ever floats your boat is fine by me and when the conditions are right for my RZR on the ice I am a happy camper.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2011, 03:38 PM »
 I can remember back in the 50`s,  much the same talk about the guys who would drive their cars on the ice..  BUT.. when they got stuck in a crack, we would all go to help them get out....

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Holy #@&# Gerry you really got these guys stirred up,im with you man id rather walk,but alot of these guys cant because of health reason,its easier to push a 4 wheeler. :cookoo: :woot:

Offline JOHN044

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Why is this thread still here? Enough already. This year I've read more Bi$%@#** than in the past two combined.

Hahaha. and still cant help yourself and keep coming back for more :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.