New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Why doesnt people use worms(crawlers or wigglers) for ice fishing  (Read 12349 times)

Offline bubbashere

• IceShanty Rookie
We use worms from spring to fall,,,,,,,,, why not winter?

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
What do you mean? I use them all of the time when fishing for splake, brookies, and browns.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Some people do. Most places that worms work in the warm weather the worms are being washed in to the pond or lake. They don't get washed in much in the winter. The fish change food patterns to match the condition and availability.

rickl1968

I use them for specks all the time during the winter and sometimes for walleye too. I use two single hooks tied inline minnow on the bottom and half a dew worm on the top. The minnow keeps the worm moving.
 ;D

There, now I gave out my secret!

Offline bubbashere

• IceShanty Rookie
All i hear at the shop is, do you have wax worms? (yep), Spikes? (yep), shinners? (yep), Mousee Grub? (Not this Year)!!!!!!!

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
I tried night crawlers on the perch and gills nothing would bite. I put on a maggot bang they were back. I have know idea why.I think oletimer is right.

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
All i hear at the shop is, do you have wax worms? (yep), Spikes? (yep), shinners? (yep), Mousee Grub? (Not this Year)!!!!!!!
I bought mousees at All Seasons and Fat Nancy's in Pulaski, and just got some today at App's in Cleveland.

cny

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
When water temps are cold, fish hit much smaller patters.  They are much less aggressive and have lower metabolism.  Also during this time of year, stone flies, scuds, shrimp and other tiny crustaceans are around, so the smaller the pattern generally the more successful you'll be.  Even large fish like pike take smaller sized baits during this time of year.

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
I ordered mousee's of the internet I couldn't get them here either.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
I think 8 of our 15 perch came from jigs with worms on it during our derby yesterday.  Black jig head with a night crawler on it.  Threaded up on the jig with about a 1 inch tale hanging off in 34 FOW.  We got 5th place out of field of 17 teams.  Worms will work for walleye, perch, trout, ling, and others.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cool i might have to try it again. Maybe they were just liking something diffrent that day.  :o

Offline bubbashere

• IceShanty Rookie
I ordered mousee's of the internet I couldn't get them here either.
Just sent you a message,, look in your inbox! thanks

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just sent one back keep it secrete. Just kidding they are on eBay the guy has a ton of fake bait and it really works they have sent baked in for less than 4.00 tyd
he even has glow ones. check them out.

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
We use worms from spring to fall,,,,,,,,, why not winter?

I have used them successfully for Rainbows under a Tip-up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.