New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: REFLECTIONS OF THE NORTHERN CHALLENGE  (Read 4094 times)

Offline NY TROOPER

• IceShanty Rookie
REFLECTIONS OF THE NORTHERN CHALLENGE
« on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:43 PM »
I have been making the trip north for this derby for many years.  Last year I sat out and returned this year with my son for his first outing.  Our group had 16 fishing adults.  Many of them brought their children for the first time as well.  The kids had a great time and the weather was perfect for the event. 

I am not sure who is responsible, but I suspect it may be ADK DAVE(?)  My son went past the door prize trailer during the afternoon.  The gentleman, who was the same one we offered assistance to earlier in the morning, was calling off the numbers and prizes.  During the afternoon this gentleman pulled my son aside and asked him how he was enjoying the day.  After a little bit of conversation Zack was rewarded with a jigging pole, fishing reel and carrying case.  To this man, and if it was you ADK Dave, our sincerest thanks.  That was a very nice thing that you did for a young boy and it really made his weekend.

On the down side of things.  To the so called "young adults" that attended this event.  One of the things that I have observed over the years is that this derby is becoming very family oriented.  Translation being, more and more children are attending each year such as mine did this year.  There were several of the "young adults" who had obviously consumed more than their share of adult beverages for the day.  I am not saying that it's wrong to enjoy yourself.  But the behavior of several individuals at the drawing ceremony at the end of the day was enough that one of our group had to step in and speak to him.  Add to that these people were operating snowmobiles and ATV's in very close proximity to others.  I have no problem reporting any further problems to the authorities on scene should this behavior continue. 

To the Tupper Lake R&G club, congratulations.  You folks run a great tournament in a great location that is enjoyed by many.  Looking forward to many more years of being able to attend.  A little side note as well, even though we didn't hit any money fish, one of our own connected on the 50/50 from the Tupp/LK fire department.   :tipup:

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: REFLECTIONS OF THE NORTHERN CHALLENGE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009, 02:01 PM »
I have been making the trip north for this derby for many years.  Last year I sat out and returned this year with my son for his first outing.  Our group had 16 fishing adults.  Many of them brought their children for the first time as well.  The kids had a great time and the weather was perfect for the event. 

I am not sure who is responsible, but I suspect it may be ADK DAVE(?)  My son went past the door prize trailer during the afternoon.  The gentleman, who was the same one we offered assistance to earlier in the morning, was calling off the numbers and prizes.  During the afternoon this gentleman pulled my son aside and asked him how he was enjoying the day.  After a little bit of conversation Zack was rewarded with a jigging pole, fishing reel and carrying case.  To this man, and if it was you ADK Dave, our sincerest thanks.  That was a very nice thing that you did for a young boy and it really made his weekend.

On the down side of things.  To the so called "young adults" that attended this event.  One of the things that I have observed over the years is that this derby is becoming very family oriented.  Translation being, more and more children are attending each year such as mine did this year.  There were several of the "young adults" who had obviously consumed more than their share of adult beverages for the day.  I am not saying that it's wrong to enjoy yourself.  But the behavior of several individuals at the drawing ceremony at the end of the day was enough that one of our group had to step in and speak to him.  Add to that these people were operating snowmobiles and ATV's in very close proximity to others.  I have no problem reporting any further problems to the authorities on scene should this behavior continue. 

To the Tupper Lake R&G club, congratulations.  You folks run a great tournament in a great location that is enjoyed by many.  Looking forward to many more years of being able to attend.  A little side note as well, even though we didn't hit any money fish, one of our own connected on the 50/50 from the Tupp/LK fire department.   :tipup:
Hey Mike,
Yeah, it was surely Dave McMahon who gave your boy the pole.  He has been in charge of the derby for what seems like forever (I am sure he won't argue that point!)  Many of us here at the rod and gun put in a lot of time into this and other events at the club, but Dave puts in the most effort, by far!  He does one hell of a job!  Our club is fortunate to have him.  Sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you, but it was good to see you again.  Things got kind of screwed up at the end, but accidents happen and are sometime unavoidable.  I hope those who were inconvienced understand and have patience for this.  As far as the clown who got in the fight, he was not even one of the fishermen!  Just a local pinhead who likes to be a pain.  While we at the rod and gun don't have a way of keeping him off the pond during our events, I for one, am going to push for him being banned from PARTICIPATING in ANY club event in the future.  As far as I can tell, that is about all we can do.  Thanks to all who supported us!
Mike Savage

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009, 05:15 PM »
 I have been to that derby in the past and it was a ball.  The guys that run the rod and gun club are topnotched sportsman who help promote hunting,fishing and archery. We had many years of great fun at the mountain challenge with my family and friends.  There was an older member of the club that took some of the best photos i have ever seen. 

They used to have the archery tournament at big tupper and you would ride the ski lift up to the top of the mountain and shoot the 3d course as you walked back down the hill .  That was the most fun we could have in one weekend.The fishing derby requires a bit more preparation and patience but that's why its a Challenge.

They still have a great archery tournament at the gun club but we have other plans that weekend. We will be back to fish that Derby next year i hope but we will stay in a cabin instead of sleeping on the ice in a clam on a hard folding chair   .  We never caught a fish but we did win a small prize.

Hats off to Mike ,Alan and the club members.       From and old compound bow fingers shooter and family.

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Is this tourny the same weekend each year?

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Yes it is always the first Saturday in February.
Dave

Offline jay c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Dave, Mike, and all at the Rod and Gun Club---------- GREAT JOB.
I appreciate your work and help.
Thank You
Jay

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Agreed, the weather couldn't have been better, especially when bringing kids along.  The end of the day walking out was a bit slushy for sure.  The kids had a great time.  7 and 10 years old, this was their second tournament and my 8th.  The youngest of the two was standing near the prize area mid day and was given a few really cool prizes. An ice fishing rod and reel, carry bag, and ice scoop.  Our dog, Pike, also recieved a Tupper Lake Rod and Gun Club Northern Challenge t-shirt to sport during his excited day chasing snowmobiles.  My apologies if he chased you, he's only a pup and that was a new experience for him!  
I agree about the younger adults in the crowd acting on the innapropriate side with children present.  Unfortuantley, I also witnessed a fair share of adults who should have know better exhibiting the same behavior.  No less can really be expected when gathering that many individuals in one area.  Still, not a good model for children to see when attending these events.  Another sad experience was we marked our area for 4 adults and the kids the night before and arrived in the morning to find our posts missing and some very rude individuals right in the middle of the modest space we had attempted to reserve for ourselves.  When approached they refused to move and forced us to line up our tip ups mere feet from one another.  This put a damper on the day and I wasn't pleased with the lack of respect and playing fair.  Next year I'm def. walking far past all the dopes that will do this.  Maybe all the shanty members should congregate in the same area, start a gathering.
Finishing up, we didn't catch any money fish or win a door prize but had a great time nonetheless.
A suggestion for next year...
With the number of children increasing, would it be possible to start a children's class for catching fish and tickets given away for children for junior door prizes?  This would be a minimal task to organize and could only increase the number of entrants for next year as well as create a lasting, positive memory that will help our sport continue to grow. If the kids have a chance to win even something small and this would truly make their day all the more special!
Good job Tupper Lake Rod and Gun Club   :clap:
-Doeindesguise

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I agree with the language and actions of some of the adults in that they were not good roll models.  This will be addressed next year.  A kids division?? How would you deternime if an adult or kid actually caught the fish?  I have a few ideas that I am going to pass on to the club to see if they would like to do.  What do you think the cut off age should be?  I not trying to be a smart a$$ but really agree that all kids should recieve something to encourage them to continue.  Just an idea is a special t-shirt and ribbon for all kids that come and leave the drawings for the wheelers and other prizes the same.  Just have a place on the registrations for kids age.  I will deffinately give this some thought and am open to any suggestions or ideas.

Dave

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:54 PM »
I drove 6hrs to fish this, ended up sleeping out on the ice all night fighting the cold just to catch 1 pike. it was tough. all long hard pull, tons of slush on the lake, and way to many drunk hillbilly f**ks. made the tourny so it was not much fun, only way I will do it again is if a got a 4 wheeler or snowmobile for the pull out, the walk out to open ice is just not worth it

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:34 AM »
I drove 6hrs to fish this, ended up sleeping out on the ice all night fighting the cold just to catch 1 pike. it was tough. all long hard pull, tons of slush on the lake, and way to many drunk hillbilly f**ks. made the tourny so it was not much fun, only way I will do it again is if a got a 4 wheeler or snowmobile for the pull out, the walk out to open ice is just not worth it
First, ice fishing is tough. It's not always park the truck on the ice open the cooler and drill some holes.
Second, since Tupper area is not densly populated, I'm sure 75% plus of the derby goers were from somewhere else. As your post reads you drove 6hrs to get there.
To call all of them "hillbilly @%#& is a total disregard for respect. Just as we hillbillies saying it was the pushy downstate a$$holes. Not right either. Seems from what my friends told me yesterday while we were fishing they could do with some alcohol control. But overall they had a great time, buddies boy got one of the jig poles and another friend won a hand auger. They had fun watching the snowmobile chase, Though I hear the ECO ran over someones tip up. Doesn't seem like a propper thing to do with that many people in one spot.
Thinice: As for trying to save a spot by marking it?? With the amount of people at these events it would be foolish to expect them to stay away from your markers. The only sure way to save it would be to camp there.
fitchy74: Maybe you enjoy a day out with the boys drinking and such. Not going to deny you that right, but to be publicly intoxicated at a family derby shouldn't be condoned. Leave that to the days with the boys not a family event such as a derby.
I am planning to go with the guys next year, They all said it was a good time.

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:00 AM »
"I drove 6hrs to fish this, ended up sleeping out on the ice all night fighting the cold just to catch 1 pike. it was tough. all long hard pull, tons of slush on the lake, and way to many drunk hillbilly f**ks. made the tourny so it was not much fun, only way I will do it again is if a got a 4 wheeler or snowmobile for the pull out, the walk out to open ice is just not worth it"

First off let me say I am truly sorry Icerogue that you didn't have a good time.  I have as in the past offered to help find hotel accommodations for anyone who asks.  They may not have been right here in town but I can get rooms within 20 miles for anyone who asks. 
     Second I am offended by the comment of Hillbilly f**ks.  We had 1180 entrants and 75% of them were not from the area.  The majority of the entrants are from the city areas looking for a good time away from the hussle and bussle of the bigger towns ands city life.  I do agree that some of the people got a little out of control with the drinking but that is up to the people fishing with them to say enough is enough.  It's called self control.  Notice self.

My last question would be If you had won  an ATV or one of the 5 $2000 50-50 drawings of one of the $500 door prizes would have it made things better for your $35 investment?  I gave away nearly $36,000 in cash and prizes that day.  Your chances are a lot better at winning there then the lottery.

Once again I am truly sorry you didn't have a good time.

Dave

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:44 AM »
Adkman,

This was our second year attending and again we had a great time!! When you get that many people together for an event there will always be some sort of trouble.

All in all it is a well organized event, very entertaining and well worth the $35 entry fee.

Robb :tipup:

Offline NY TROOPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:12 AM »
Fitchy, I am not advocating that drinking be eliminated from the derby.  I am not advocating that "everything be politically correct".  My oberservations are based upon many years of experience in law enforcement and that of a concerned parent.  Those "5-10 idiots" that you refer to are the ones that will ruin someone's life someday.  It may be someone you know or maybe not.  It may be another adult or even worse a child.  Those same entertaining people were getting on snow machines and ATV's in very close proximity to a very large crowd.  I will go on record and say that before long there will be a serious, alcohol related incident during the derby.

I brought my son to this event for several reasons.  First and foremost is to be a steward for him as I introduce him to the outdoors.  Part of that responsibility is to instill in him some various core values and ethics.  I did not bring him with me so intoxicated person could claim him in some unfortunate accident.  You said in your post that it is important to get our children involved with hunting and fishing.  You are absolutely right.  Do you think that we should be teaching our children that it is permissable to get so intoxicated that you not only put yourself at risk but those around you?  Do you believe it's important for sportsman to set a proper example so our sport doesn't come under attack by those that oppose us? 

This is my complaint Fitchy.  Those select few who choose to go over the line are the one's that endanger me, my children and my friends.  They bring negative attention to our sport.  If they desire to go off on their own and conduct themeselves this way, so be it.  I don't believe that the Northern Challenge is the proper venue for such behavior. 

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:31 AM »
Keep your hillbilly comments to your self.Sounds like everyone had a great time.Glad to hear the organization really got the kids involved and gave away prizes to help them have a good time.The ice fishing community really gets together and puts together a great derby.Planning on attending the derby next year.Way to go adk on another successful year. :tipup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:32 AM »

PROUD TO BE A HILLBILLY......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Having a junior class is def. a great idea!  Instead of having a winner each hour simply have an overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd winners for the day.  See how that goes and take it from there.  I agree that every junior entrant up to 16 should walk away with something.  Maybe we could get a smaller size quad donated  ;D ok, that may be pushing it for next year.  As far as making sure that the kid brought the fish in and not an adult I guess we will have to work off the honor system. Hopefully MOST of us attending can handle that.  I would like to think that adults introducing their kids to the sport and the Challenge want to instill the best values in them and not ones associated with that of cheating.  I know our 7 and 10 year old boys that came along for their second year can bait the hook, set the line, and bring a fish in with the best of them!  What kid can't pull a line out of a hole that's tugging back at them!  Seriously, the look on their faces when the fish pops out of the hole is priceless.  They are hooked instantly and for a lifetime!  I would like to hear ideas of the prizes we could get for them.  I'm sure there are places out there that would be more then happy to help out.  If you need any ideas or help with finding donors for those prizes let me know, I'll do what I can to help out.
-Doeindesguise
- The stakes we used in an attempt to save a small area for ourselves were literally drilled into the holes by their augers.  Now that's about as rude as it gets.  I shouldn't have to sleep on the ice with the kids to avoid a situation like that next year.  I'm just finding another area away from that mess.

Offline get the gaff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:16 PM »

do you want some cheese with that wine??  people can do what they want while ice fishing!...if you didnt like the "drunk hillbilly F**ks," than you should move to another area of the lake(or perhaps another lake)....with this many complaints, maybe you shouldn't be out ice fishing...everyone else at this tournament seemed to have a great time and loved the way it was setup and ran, and by the way i am also glad to be a "hillbilly!"

Offline navynozle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Just my 2 cents,a little restraint can go a long ways at a venue like the challenge!Its obvious some need to grow up when they are in public.
Adkman,no need to apologize for people who claim to not have had a good time,you are right would it have changed things if he had,probably not you can never please everybody.You guys put on a great tourney and i cant wait for next year.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:47 PM »
This was my 4th time attending. I would like to say a few things:
1) I am not a hillbilly. I'm a Redneck! Get the terminology right!
2) I drove almost 4 hours to get there. Worth every minute of it!
3) I always sleep out on the ice. Sure, it's tough. That's what I love about it.
4) The only trouble I had was with my old klunker of a snowmobile and a couple of drunks that I almost hit / hit me because of their inatention to what they were doing. There will always be a few, what I call, "Self Appointed Jerks"! I go to the far end of the lake to stay away from most of those "young adults" who don't know how to have a good time without the booze.
5) I met some great people, including Sen. Little. Turns out we have mutual friends.
6) I don't drink on the ice. No, I'm not a tea toatler, but I'm dizzy enough without the booze.
7) Dave and his gang do a GREAT job!
8) They are not everyone's mommy and are not / cannot be responsible for others' stupid behavior.
9) Dave, you promised me a beer. I'm gonna hold you to that promise next year, AFTER the event! Thanks for all of everyone's hard work to create such a wonderful tourney! Keep up the GREAT work!!!
10) I didn't nor have ever won anything. That's not why I go. I go to get out in the great outdoors and challenge myself. Can't wait for NEXT YEAR!

God Bless!
Neal

Offline navynozle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:58 PM »
AMEN BROTHER :tipup:

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Gotta love it, he drove 6 hrs to attend. Yet he list's his location as upstate????
Um mm Tupper lake issss upstate..... :blink: :unsure:

Offline d web

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:14 PM »
everything not ny city is upstate    he is from western ny

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Today is February 9th 2009.  I am already looking at some changes for next year.

1.  Hats Hats Hats  Everybody wanted to buy a hat.  Next year we will have for sale.  I will have a place on the registration form for hats if you want one.

2.  A kids catagory.  Registration will be the same but we will have a 1st 2nd and 3rd place prize for kids up to the age of 14.  Cost will remain at $35 but the kids will also have the same chances to win door prizes and ATV's.

3.  Better ice conditions  (:>)  Not as much slush and snow

By then I'm sure that there might be some more.  Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions.  The club and I take them very seriously and consider all of them.

Dave

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:50 PM »
This was the first year I have made it up to the " northern challenge ".   Got on the ice by 5 not one flag all day , and had a great time still ,meet alot of great people and will be back again next year.   Best tournament by far
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:35 PM »
This is what it looked like---looked like everyone to me was having a Great time--
[

Offline jay c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:48 PM »
"I drove 6hrs to fish this, ended up sleeping out on the ice all night fighting the cold just to catch 1 pike. it was tough. all long hard pull, tons of slush on the lake, and way to many drunk hillbilly f**ks. made the tourny so it was not much fun, only way I will do it again is if a got a 4 wheeler or snowmobile for the pull out, the walk out to open ice is just not worth it"

First off let me say I am truly sorry Icerogue that you didn't have a good time.  I have as in the past offered to help find hotel accommodations for anyone who asks.  They may not have been right here in town but I can get rooms within 20 miles for anyone who asks. 
     Second I am offended by the comment of Hillbilly f**ks.  We had 1180 entrants and 75% of them were not from the area.  The majority of the entrants are from the city areas looking for a good time away from the hussle and bussle of the bigger towns ands city life.  I do agree that some of the people got a little out of control with the drinking but that is up to the people fishing with them to say enough is enough.  It's called self control.  Notice self.

My last question would be If you had won  an ATV or one of the 5 $2000 50-50 drawings of one of the $500 door prizes would have it made things better for your $35 investment?  I gave away nearly $36,000 in cash and prizes that day.  Your chances are a lot better at winning there then the lottery.

Once again I am truly sorry you didn't have a good time.

Dave
We need everybody here , but at some point let cut the loses.
If You do not want to be here ----- do not come.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:51 AM »
I guess I need to revise this cause it is getting takein the wrong way, the tourney it self was great and for my first trip to the dacks it was a great experince, all I was trying to say was the tourny for me was a hard one not a bad one. and I need to apoligize for my comment about hillbilllys, I was more speaking of the the drunk guy(s) who kicked a full can of beer into my hut while trying to hear the loud speaker, which is also the same group of people who through all there old tickets, beer cans, and other garbage all over the ice. one of the individules keept droping the "N" word, and there were children aroud trying to have a good time, I HATE racist people and there is no place for that behavior during a family fun fishing tourny. so other then the hard pull across the ice and a few people the tourney was a success

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:14 AM »
One of the things I have learned over the years as chairman of this derby is that one needs to be extremely careful about what one says, but with so many people some are bond to take it the wrong way.  You are not wrong by saying there is no place here nor anywhere for racist remarks.  You are correct in saying that not all people have the same morals that you and I do.  What is important is to let the kids see just how wrong it really is and make sure that they don't follow the same path. 

So in ending I would like to say thanks for clearing the air and hopefully if you return to Tupper Lake your next experience will be much better.
Dave

Offline JayErica1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vexilar FL-18
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Today is February 9th 2009.  I am already looking at some changes for next year.

1.  Hats Hats Hats  Everybody wanted to buy a hat.  Next year we will have for sale.  I will have a place on the registration form for hats if you want one.

2.  A kids catagory.  Registration will be the same but we will have a 1st 2nd and 3rd place prize for kids up to the age of 14.  Cost will remain at $35 but the kids will also have the same chances to win door prizes and ATV's.

3.  Better ice conditions  (:>)  Not as much slush and snow

By then I'm sure that there might be some more.  Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions.  The club and I take them very seriously and consider all of them.

Dave

Dave,
Soory but I missed derby this year, will be back up next year!!

With Changes being planned for next year, Any chance that you will allow the use of Jigging Poles as well as tipups?

Jay (binghamton,ny)

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:18 PM »
This was my fishing partners and my first year at the derby.We had a great time .We won first place for the 7th and 8th hour.This will be a yearly event for us .We have already booked next years room.Thanks to the organizers for a great event.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.