Author Topic: wondering if good idea for shack  (Read 2808 times)

bohmanj

wondering if good idea for shack
« on: Jan 25, 2004, 05:50 PM »
I was thinking of building a shack with treated 2x4 for the floor with two 4x4 treated runners. Then build the walls and roof (roof will be flat)
out of 2x3's and 1/4" paneling, so that i can pull it out there with a four wheeler and just stand everything up and screw it together and when i'm ready to take it down just unscrew it and take it off the ice. Does it sound easier than building it one piece and monkeying around trying to put it on a trailor to take it out there then put it back on to take it off?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:wondering if good idea for shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:32 AM »
first of all, for the runners if youre going to use 4x4's, i would taper them down some towards the bottom. maybe to about 1 1/2". you dont want that much drag on the runners especially in snow cover. Next, i would say that even with screwing everything together, at 1st you will be just THRILLED to have some sort of shanty no matter what it takes to get up, but by the 2nd er 3rd er 4th trip.......... youre going to be cussin those screws......... I think i would come up with a "Plan B" whether that be just trailering it there or making some sort of collapseable shanty. Thats just my thoughts.............. ..

Melbs              :'(

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:40 PM »
the basic idea is sound and solid, except the part of taking it apart twice each trip. mine is much heavier, but still screwed together on all 4 walls. i dont think i would enjoy erecting or dismantling in wind or cold. way toooo much work. then you have the trouble of pulling something thats portable and keeping everything in one piece while dragging it accross who knows what. something collapsible is probably your best bet... theres lot of great ideas out there for hard floor/canvas walls tent style that will probably be great for you.... grumpy

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:32 PM »
and unless you can scavence those items from work you could just buy a portable one for what that will cost ya.'

All I needed to buy for mine was the 14" paint and hardware and I still have a $100 into it. If I would have had to buy the rest I would have pushed $200.
Anthony

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:52 PM »
I was wondering if you were planning on this being a permanent or as the others think portable.  If you are going to put it out in one spot for many days in a row it is a good Idea.  That is the way I plan on building my next permanent shanty so it is easier to pull down the road.  Use my portable to find a good spot and then bring the big house out for the girlfriend and kids to fish out of.  plan on making mine 8 x 10 and kind of modular so it just bolts and screws together.  I do not think it is a good idea though for a portable unit too much time spent on set up and take down and for the price you will be happier with a pop up portable like the otter or fabrill speed shack.

bohmanj

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2004, 10:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far. This will be permanent a shack because, like you guys were saying there is no way i would set it up every time i go fishing.

Offline GoFish123

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Fishermen don't yield to the weather."
Re: wondering if good idea for shack
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:15 PM »
I built my shanty out of metal studs and plywood.  I put more time in for little extras but i wont go into detail.  Sounds like your idea is good but you may find changes u would like to make in the Ice Shanty Plans subject.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.