Author Topic: woodstove question  (Read 1817 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
woodstove question
« on: Oct 24, 2006, 05:35 AM »
i am installing a woodstove in the crappie shack...my question is the location of the damper in the stovepipe.  I have about 5' from top of stove to ceiling...where in this 5' is the best place to install the damper and why?? thx in advance for your replies  ;D

grumpymoe

Re: woodstove question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2006, 06:47 AM »
SDB....put the damper about a foot above the stove top....what size pipe are you using?...if its 6" I would suggest adding a 5" reducer at the top....on windy days, it sure will suck alot of draft through the stove and also eat up alot of wood..even 4" at the top would be sufficient.. oh...the damper lower to the stove keeps the heat there instead of in the pipe!  SDB Grump

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Second that, it's dead on. & if you can, try to get a black pipe damper, wont warp from the heat.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2006, 12:01 PM »
We have our damper about 6 inches from the top of the woodstove. It is a small woodstove with only a 3" pipe.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Ideally the damper should be right at the outlet, but for safety sake you can put it anywhere...I suggested 1' above....interesting about a 3" pipe with a damper...its not really needed as it will build up excessive amounts of creosote due to the pipe being cool as it exits the stove...what I would suggest from past experience is leave it wide open....and every couple of weeks, remove the pipe from the stove and give it a good shaking on shore...a 3 inch pipe has enough draft without a damper.....and just enough to stop excessive smoke back when you open the door to stoke the stove...Grumps 2bits for what its worth

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Yep, it all sounds good to me. I'm putting a wood stove in my shack also. What is a good way to seal the pipe coming out of the metal corrugated roof so it doesn't leak? Thanks......
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2006, 08:04 PM »
cut the gap for the pipe about 1/4" or so wider than the stovepipe....get a collar for the outside rooftop and slip it down to the roof.....seal with roofpatch or similar material....what gap you have left is minimal and the meltoff from the metal roof will simply drip off.....tightlines...G rump

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Thanks Grump, I'll give that a shot...........
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.