Author Topic: WOOD HEATER FOR SHANTY  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
WOOD HEATER FOR SHANTY
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Anyone use a propane tank for a wood burner in their shanty. I have thoughts of making one and wondered how long one would last. Don't plan of using it everyday, just weekends. Thanks.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WOOD HEATER FOR SHANTY
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:21 AM »
How about this already built wood stove? A lot less effort, at the cost of $120 I know, but I'd part with that before trying to torch or cut a propane tank.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-outdoor-wood-stove?a=1884248&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIza62sM6G4AIVK7azCh18CgIUEAkYASABEgJUTvD_BwE

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Check this out , seems like it would be ok for light use.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:26 AM »
I have the sheet metal stove that I used in my permanent shanty that I need to get rid of. It comes with stove pipe. I will let it go cheap. PM for price. The problem is I am in Howard City and the stove is in Mears. I do not get to Mears much in the winter but my son might be able to get to it.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:27 PM »
thanks for the offer tomturkey, but I'm going to make one from a propane tank. I was hoping to get some insight  into making one, but I guess no one uses one.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:12 PM »
I havent made one yet because i have to build a hardside first,but i have quite a few small air compressors that have holes in them.thinking ill make a small woodstoce out of one of those.

Offline kfcandtanq

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:53 AM »
thanks for the offer tomturkey, but I'm going to make one from a propane tank. I was hoping to get some insight  into making one, but I guess no one uses one.

Hey Uncle Al, I made a stove out of an old refrigerant (Freon) tank.
Basically the same... just a little smaller than a propane tank.
My shack has limited space, so I have it as an upright stove in the corner.
I just flipped the tank upside down (so the handle acts as a base).
I cut a door into the side of the tank & used 2 hinges on the door & a gate latch to keep it closed.
I also put a piece of expanded metal down inside the stove to keep the hot ashes & logs up off of the bottom of the tank.
Because of the small size, my chimney comes straight out of the middle of the top of the tank.
But if I was doing it again, I would try & mount my chimney cut-in towards the back to allow a hot surface to cook on.
Are you wanting to make your stove vertical or horizontal?

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:03 AM »
If I were to make one it would be horizontal, horizontal builds seem to hold a little longer piece of wood,and also allows more space on top if you wanted a flat surface for cooking.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:30 PM »
we made a smoker out of a 50 gallon water heater....if you make the the first vertical cut for the door, then screw and put on hinges, then cut the rest of the door out.....easier that wrestling with everything after its all cut out.....post a pic when its done

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Good point about the first door cut. Have made a few stoves, also backyard burners from tanks. Hinges installed then assures a perfect door fit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.