Author Topic: What are things people don't tell you about permanent ice shanties  (Read 6896 times)

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
Really considering building a permanent on LBDN this winter. I know have weekends off instead of working them so I will be able to get out more. What are some things you wish you would have known before setting up a permanent? What is some advice you would give people putting up their first?

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello there! It might sound obvious but its worth mentioning. Careful rodent proofing in the off season is sooo important, especially if you are going to insulate. But even if you're not insulating, they can really make a mess of all your hard work. Cheers!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Block it up. One good freeze in and you will know why.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
X2!! Don't ask me how I know that! :%$#!:  :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
There are always people to help put it on the ice but are scarce when it comes time to take it off. Check on it every week.
It must be something in the water.

Offline BGP

• IceShanty Rookie
No matter the size, anchor it to the ice. I was very fortunate last season. Had mine move over 100 meters sideways and not tip over

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
When your shanty does freeze to the lake which at some point it probably will cut the ice with a chainsaw at an inward angle and two 4x4 wheelers can puller it out. Depending on size of course.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
I did not insulate my floor, wish I had, and will be crawling under it shortly to do so. I would have put house wrap around it had I thought about it. I have switched to propane heat from wood and it's well worth it.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There are always people to help put it on the ice but are scarce when it comes time to take it off. Check on it every week.

Yup... a dozen buddies will carry that thing out on the ice but come spring and slush everyone will have a wedding or funeral everyday until it sinks...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lol. I second that. LBDN can be  very unforgiving at times, I no longer leave one out there. If you do though build it light enough to pull with a sled or atv.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Its pretty much  all been said.    You have to go every week.   Every change in weather you need to check on it always take extra blocks of wood.  Dont leave it banked up if your gone for then a day or two.

You need that wind under your hut to keep the ice ice and not water The biggest thing weve noticed  is the guys with shinny huts get into more trouble in warm spells if they aren't around to move the hut.    Warms up  for a couple days the sun and heat  reflectes off the aluminum.     They ether half sink brake threw the ice or get frozen in terrible.    Rectangle are more comfortable then squares.   Has to be sled/atv towable.  Not 4.   And the one thing i did learn renting huts is make sure you have uniform ice.  Punch  a dozen holes around where you plan to set up. Good excuse to pre fish 

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Frozen in is the worst but being half in the bag by 9 AM and losing $20 by noon playing Sheephead can occur numerous times every year...that adds up!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Frozen in is the worst but being half in the bag by 9 AM and losing $20 by noon playing Sheephead can occur numerous times every year...that adds up!

You gotta be a transplanted cheesehead to know about sheepshead.... ;) $20 ain't so bad if your playing for quarters. Now, if it's nickels well, that's pretty bad. :%$#!:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't overbuild! Think light! You can get away with framing it with 2X2 studs and covering it with Tyvek to keep your weight down.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Its pretty much  all been said.    You have to go every week.   Every change in weather you need to check on it always take extra blocks of wood.  Dont leave it banked up if your gone for then a day or two.

You need that wind under your hut to keep the ice ice and not water The biggest thing weve noticed  is the guys with shinny huts get into more trouble in warm spells if they aren't around to move the hut.    Warms up  for a couple days the sun and heat  reflectes off the aluminum.     They ether half sink brake threw the ice or get frozen in terrible.    Rectangle are more comfortable then squares.   Has to be sled/atv towable. Not 4.   And the one thing i did learn renting huts is make sure you have uniform ice.  Punch  a dozen holes around where you plan to set up. Good excuse to pre fish

Thanks Chummy. Can you elaborate on the two points? 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The thing that bothers me most, and has kept me from setting up a permanent shack..

If you lock it up, someone will inevitably break in, to use it as a crapter..

Best case is to leave it unlocked and take everything with you.. But unfortunately it doesn't keep someone from using it as a crapter...

It may be a Michigan thing though, as there are no remote lakes and most places see plenty and all types at all hours..

I've always dreamed about winning the lottery and looking out my picture window to check on my permanent rig on the bay...

Good luck!!!

<°)))>{

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
I built an epic permy about 17 years ago, it was sweet......yah, well until I brought it home and had to mow and weedwhack around the thing. It was killing my grass so I had to keep moving it around, finally we had a big bonfire one night and I moved it one last time, pushed it into the bonfire with a lawn tractor, bye bye permy!  @) ;D

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
You gotta be a transplanted cheesehead to know about sheepshead.... ;) $20 ain't so bad if your playing for quarters. Now, if it's nickels well, that's pretty bad. :%$#!:

Yup.  Moved out here in 1989. Nobody here knows what it is and I don't know if I'd remember how after 25 years.  Miss those card games in the permy!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Build it light and strong.  2x2" and glue and screw the framing.  Insulate and use a venting propane stove.  The better you make it, the more comfortable you will be and the longer you will want to spend fishing. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
It probably won't be your last build...
Don't build your first too big and heavy, you'll hate moving it.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
If you are going to build a hardside shanty, then make sure you have all the means to move it to the lake, from the lake and enough pulling power to get it around the lake.  Don't depend on others to move your shack for you ;)  Its a lot easier to help others than to find others to help you ;)  Set your self up for success, build it so you can move it :)
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Build it on a frame that has removable wheels or a drop-down frame.   I learned this the hard way as well and i only live 1/2 mile from the lake so I built a big heavy shack on skids.  If you cant pick it up by hand and load it into a pickup with 2-3 guys then its too heavy to not have wheels under it, with a hitch to hook it to either an atv or truck.   I am in the middle of a camper conversion right now because i got tired of dragging my heavy beast to the lake wearing out the skids, or having to take the loader to the lake for loading and unloading on shore when there is no snow...Pain in the A$$.  Wheels are your best investment in building a new shack in my opinion.  If you get mad at a certain lake you can always hook up and move as well which is what i plan to do.   Hope it helps and good luck!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They never turn out weighing less than originally planned.
They are more fun to design and build, than ......
You will be planning your next one even before you have finished the one you are working on.
Bigger is not always better.
You really don't want it 70 degrees inside when you are fishing traps outside the shack.
They do involve a bit of work, and planning, and I don't just mean building (getting on and off the ice,
blocking up off the ice, checking on if you don't bring it home, ....)
I personally don't think you need holes through the floor....
It's easier to cook on a gas burner than on a wood stove.
A wood stove is more enjoyable (and smoky) than a gas heater.
If using a gas heater, use a vented gas heater.
Put the windows lower than normal, so you can easily see out while seated.
MD

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Had a buddy build a permy long time ago and we pulled it out onto Saginaw Bay with a honda 3 wheeler, never locked it, and everyone that went by would use it. It was always full of sandwich bags, beer, wine, and whiskey bottles, and of course it was used as a crapter. When it came time to bring it in we couldn't budge it. There was about a foot of ice inside from the holes being open so often, so the last time we used it we torched it. Good luck on your build, I hope this post doesn't stop you from building yours, I'm sure what happened to my buddys shanty has happened to others. You guys are giving the OP some good advice on a build, keep it coming.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
If you don't plan on throwing money away, do it right the first time. It is easy to cut corners and build it cheap, its easy to call it finished early because the fish are calling, but the shortcut and being cheap will be more work and money in the long run. I second the rodent thing, I am getting ready to tackle that issue on my perm, summer storage is important, if you put them anywhere that gets shade and not enough sun wood rots very fast. Make sure if you are building off a pre build frame/ trailer that everything is rated for the weight. Sucks when a tire rated for 700lb blows out 80 miles from home on a major road with no shoulder towing your 102 inch wide shack that weighs 2500lb, and also sucks when 3 weeks later your axle breaks.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Built one 7x8 last year had some concerns with weight and people using it as a rest room. I built mine out of 5/32nds plywood with a vinyl roof and used bubble garage door insulating with a 2x4 floor and 5/8th plywood floor. Made a skid system with 2x8s treated lumber. I had it weighted and it is 542lbs. Light shack easy to move. For security I use a solar  motion detector light by the door and at Menard's  they have tool box alarms for 10 bucks runs on battery's they are loud as hell and spooks people away. ;D The best part of a permeate ice shack is its a base camp and if you have a family great place to hang out. Add some 12v led lights and a invert or and you can have TV. Another deterrent I thought of was and old 35mm deer trail can with a flash and mount a little antenna to the top of it most bun holes are punks who run in the dark so if they scout it out in the day they see the camera and at night it will flash at them :o Love my hard side warm and toasty. As far as storage pull it up on a couple sheets of plywood or concrete make sure no food inside. I also insulated the floor with 2x2 foam workout room squares and have a propane wall mounted furnace.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
You guys where people sh!t in the shack... don't they ever find some punks in the spring wash up on shore? That usually deters them for a generation or 2.
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.