Author Topic: Woodstove  (Read 1208 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Woodstove
« on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:41 PM »
It's my second season heating my hut with the woodstove I built, so I decided to paint it with 1200 degree bbq paint to make her look nice.  I got some of my inspiration from you-tube, and hope to give back the info I learned.  So I posted another vid, of the 1st fire since I painted it.  Not sure how long 1200 degree paint will hold up but I am giving it a go. 1st fire the paint smoked a little but shows no signs of coming off.  I am sure there is someone on the forum has used the rustoleum 1200 degree paint.  What can I expect from the paint over time?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H-PzVk4Kvo&feature=youtu.be

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Woodstove
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:27 PM »
I painted my wood stove with the same stuff and now all a year later and after a lot of use most of the stove is bare metal again. So I hope yurs works better than mine did.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:30 PM »
try some stove black. i'm not sure where to get it, but from what i've seen it's durable.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 03:31 AM »
Jotul paint worked nice on my Fisher baby bear, I think the directions called for a small fire to cure the paint first. I've used rustoleum on my smoker, and it burns right off the firebox, but I didn't expect it to hold up there anyway.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:22 AM »
Thanks for the responses, If the paint lasts a season I will be happy!!! I am going to look into "stove black" and see where I end up. Thanks again.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:02 AM »
My new modification to my homemade woodstove.  Here I am running propane through my secondary burner tube, normally just air goes through.  This gives me dual heat options for long trips.  It worked awesome, but I am going to make a small jet insert to help slow the gas down a bit, just because the on/ off valves are a little touchy. The best thing about it, is that it is vented through the chimney, no worries about low oxygen levels. Another mod I would like to make is, take a thermo-couple l/p regulator from and old vent free heater and hook that up, so the gas will shut off due to the flame going out. Safety 1st right?    Check it out in action,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.