Author Topic: Anybody ever used a hunting pop up on the ice?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Anybody ever used a hunting pop up on the ice?
« on: Oct 31, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Has anyone tried using the cheaper hunting pop up tents on the ice?  I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new pop up if I don't have to.  I know they won't be as nice or warm as a "made for ice fishing" pop up, but all I'm looking for is a little wind break.

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anybody ever used a hunting pop up on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Hunting pop ups look quite light. I think Frabill just came out with an ice fishing popup that is camo. I'll be checking it out to see what it's like, and maybe get one for hunting and ice fishing.
Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Boy, I think you may be disappointed if you take that out on the ice bud. I have one and wouldn't think of taking it out on the ice. Not after seeing what it's done to some popups. Just my .02. I can understand not wanting to spend the money though. Just do what I did, make some friends that have a popup and bob house and rotate fishing buddies every weekend! LOL!
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Have done it befor they are just not as warm as the ice fishing models.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:57 PM »
my buddy chased his doghouse hunting blind across the lake for years.haha.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2013, 07:57 PM »
I used mine before I picked up an actuall pop up.  worked of for being out of the wind and keeping no heat in. 
Blake from Elbow

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I have, and it didn't work out too well. Just not durable enough for the ice.

Offline IceCrafty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2013, 10:44 PM »
I have, It works well on nice days. Haven't seen what the wind would do to one on the ice but can imagine. We used ours to allow the kids to get out of the weather and warm up when we are all out. You should be able to find a decent deal on ebay or craigslist. I would go that route before I tore up my hunting blind.

The hunting blind I used is old and out dated. It has been retired from hunting.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I used a Trekker pop-up last year and plan on using it this year also unless Santa is VERY good to me. It's lined and water proof and pretty sturdy. I used 4" tap-cons with fender washers as anchors which I screwed in with my hammer drill. It takes around 5 minutes to set up and works fine. In fact, it was so warm sometimes that I opened the screen windows for ventilation. Only problem I have is if it's really cold and windy and I keep the windows shut, I can't look out for flags which ain't a biggy since I jig most of the time. It's kinda small, good for one or 2 guys at the most.

With all that said, I would suggest buying a used flip over instead of the pop-up hunting blind. It'll set up faster and it's made specifically for ice fishing. The flip overs come attached to a sled with a seat and there are plenty of attachments and add on's to personalize it and there are threads on this site with all kinds of personal diy modifications to keep it interesting. jmho

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2013, 03:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Kinda what I thought, I just didn't want to drag my clam 2000 with me.  I just ordered a clam twin hub 2 from sportsman's guide, so that ends that debate.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Prolly a good call, I helped a guy chance his down after a 300 yard dash down the ice with the wind.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Prolly a good call, I helped a guy chance his down after a 300 yard dash down the ice with the wind.
When you got back from your jog, how many FLAGS were waiting for you??? I hope.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.