Author Topic: Anyone Keep Their Pop-Up On the Ice All Season?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone Keep Their Pop-Up On the Ice All Season?
« on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Anyone keep their pop up on the ice for days, weeks, or the entire season?

Any recommendations on which one would hold up best--this would be for next season.

I'm thinking about a Quickfish4 or maybe next years Fatfish 949i given the anchor system etc., but I'm open to other options.

I'm not worried about it freezing in and for that reason would forgo one with a built in floor.

For those that do keep their pop ups out for extended periods of time what else do you do to secure the shelter once you pack up for the day?

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
Re: Anyone Keep Their Pop-Up On the Ice All Season?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Anyone keep their pop up on the ice for days, weeks, or the entire season?

Any recommendations on which one would hold up best--this would be for next season.

I'm thinking about a Quickfish4 or maybe next years Fatfish 949i given the anchor system etc., but I'm open to other options.

I'm not worried about it freezing in and for that reason would forgo one with a built in floor.

For those that do keep their pop ups out for extended periods of time what else do you do to secure the shelter once you pack up for the day?

Not sure if it's not a problem by you, but that just seems like an invite for thieves. People will steal anything if given the opportunity.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I thought about that and it is always a possibility, but a pretty remote one considering where I would be setting up and how close it is to my place.

I was just curious to see how these tents hold up in the wind, etc., being out for more than a few days at a time.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Not designed for being left out for extended periods.
I can't see anyone of them lasting a season. At some time you are going to get high winds for extended times.
This causes stress on the material, seams and poles. Something will fail sooner or later.
If it's too windy for you to go out in than it will also be to windy for the hut.
Snow drifts could also flatten it.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I have seen whats left of them after it was tried, of the two I saw left out, neither one lasted more then 5 days !

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Not designed for being left out for extended periods.
I can't see anyone of them lasting a season. At some time you are going to get high winds for extended times.
This causes stress on the material, seams and poles. Something will fail sooner or later.
If it's too windy for you to go out in than it will also be to windy for the hut.
Snow drifts could also flatten it.

X2   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Do that in NY and if you're not in it or with it, you'll find it gone!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Would the cabin style portables hold up better?

I'm on a section of river that is only fished by my myself and my close neighbors (2-3 guys), due to a special access road, so I'm not really worried about it being stolen.

I would worry that the hub style shelters would collapse under heavy wind, but perhaps the cabin style ones might hold up just fine.

I have a clam scout tc, and have only been in the other style hub shelters a few times, so i don't know much about them.

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I would think it freezing to the ice would be a problem as well. As quick and easy as they are to set up, I would just bring it back and fourth.
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline eye_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tight Lines and Cold beer
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:53 PM »
If it is right outside your cabin/house and you are not worried about thieves just pull to shore each use...
It will save you from having it frozen to the ice and ripped apart from the wind

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Yeah, either that or I'm really thinking about building an ultralight hardside that I can keep on the river and just use the pop up and my scout tc for traveling etc.

I'm not up there all the time, so a compromise might be to set it up on Friday and take it down Sunday.

Given the ice conditions now, this is something I'll have to sort out next year.

The ice on that river changes faster than a tire at Daytona.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.