Author Topic: Metal shed..  (Read 2658 times)

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
Metal shed..
« on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Do u think u could make a sold floor and put a bigger metal shed on it and insulate it??seems like it would make it lighter but do u think it would last on a windy day??
FISH ON

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Metal shed..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2012, 12:14 PM »
FISH ON

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Some of those metal sheds are fairly low for head room. Might have to build a partial wall if you want to stand up in it if it is a short shed. Other than that, why wouldn't it work?

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Yeah the sheds i was looking at have almost a 7' ceiling.. I think i am going to do it i have to take some measurements of the trailer i am going to be hulling it with but i should be able to hull one like what is in the picture i posted..I mainly want one i can take up north and spend the weekend in on the ice including sleeping so i have to figure out how to tackle some sort of bed.. I also want it to be nice inside cuz i am not going to be leaving it unattended..I seen the pictures of the one i posted and fell in love...
FISH ON

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:41 PM »
Do u think u could make a sold floor and put a bigger metal shed on it and insulate it??seems like it would make it lighter but do u think it would last on a windy day??

my buddy and I made one out of roofing tin, and made windows (on the end and two sides), put in a woodstove, and no insulation, wore t-shirts on windy sub zero days.  The floor and framing was made with scrap lumber, and was only just retired after the runner and floor rotted out.  Before that it was bombproof...we loaded easily it on snowmobile trailer with the wheeler in the bed of the truck and the wheeler pulled it out--with no chains.

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:19 PM »
My brother had one for a number of years.
Right about the low headroom.
If you get one with sliding doors, you can't insulate the wall where the door slides.
The insulation will prevent the door from sliding.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:22 PM »
sounds like a great idea remember to post pics :tipup:

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:50 PM »
My brother had one for a number of years.
Right about the low headroom.
If you get one with sliding doors, you can't insulate the wall where the door slides.
The insulation will prevent the door from sliding.
I thought about that i i am going to frame out that end and put a exterior door and a window next to it and face off that end with either vinyl siding or get a sheet of tin like what the shed is made of and finish it with that  and as soon as i figure out a couple things and start there will be pictures...Also the shed i am thinking of using is 61\2' x 10' and the shorter end would be framed out with a door and window..
FISH ON

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Last summer I assembled an Arrow 10 x 14 barn style gable shed purchased from Sears for about 400 bucks.  I was amazed at how thin and flimsy the steel was and even more amazed that the building stood on its own.  Screwed it onto a green treated, 16" on center framed foundation with 5/8" plywood deck.  Thought about using it on the ice, No Way it would make onto a trailer even with out serious damage.  It barely suits our needs in the yard, although it looks nice.

If you're thinking of a metal building, I would build a decent stick frame of at least 2x2 stock or metal studs. and attach thicker steel siding or roofing sheets.  You might get away with building a frame inside an existing kit shed, maybe you can find an older one in good shape as these probably have thicker steel panels.  Or how about one of those resin sheds they sell at Sams or Costco. 
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:07 AM »
That is what i am worried about is it falling apart going down the road but i was thinking just as long as the panels don't fly off going down the road i should be able reinforce it with 2x2 and make it stronger...
FISH ON

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:41 AM »
my bro in law bought this snap together plastic shed this summer and it went together easy and is durable.it was decent size to.just a thought... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.