Author Topic: Woodstove Question  (Read 1944 times)

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Woodstove Question
« on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I had bought a 3foot long steel woodstove for my shack. Last night got it cut and rewelded so it's 18" and compact. It's rusty on the outside. I want to grind it down. And want to paint it up. What should I use to paint it?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re: Woodstove Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:17 PM »
go to your local hardware store or mercantile and buy a few spray cans of high heat flat black paint or you can buy stoveblack. both work great.

HIMO
                                                           Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2011, 03:11 PM »
I used flat black header paint rated to like 2000 degrees or something silly like that, worked out pretty good.

"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ice hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:24 PM »
I use stoveblack on my fireplace insert and it has served me well for years.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Good looking stove Layne. That's pretty much what mine looks like now except rusty brown. LOL.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I had my propane heater on a small shelf in the corner of my shack. The stove is pretty light. Would it work to put my woodstove on a small table? Or should it be closer to the floor?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I had my propane heater on a small shelf in the corner of my shack. The stove is pretty light. Would it work to put my woodstove on a small table? Or should it be closer to the floor?

Mine is setup on my bench but I wish it was on the floor, you want that heat down low it will make a BIG difference in keeping your feet warm. Now I need to put a fan or something in my shack to circulate the heat better.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:18 AM »
I used Jotul paint on my Fisher in the cabin, works good, but 8-9 dollars a can. The 2 dollar stuff never seemed to work for me.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Sweet. Thanks. I'll bolt it to the floor

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:29 AM »
I would put it as low to the floor as possible. A fan would help if this isn't possible but then you can't hear the crackling fire over the fan.  ;) Also after you paint it and it cures be sure to do a hard burn on it before you go out for the first trip. This will make sure the paint will not offgas and smoke to much on your first trip. Still might be a good idea to crack a window or door on the first couple time out. Enjoy!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:39 AM »

don't forget that heat rises. have it on the floor.also make sure you have a metal barrier between the stove and the walls and a fireproof sleeve where the stovepipe goes thru the roof. a small fan set up higher will help to circulate the warm air.

HIMO
                                                               Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Thanks guys. Appreciate all the help as always.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:26 AM »
rigid insulation under the floor will help prevent puddle formation and the subsequent need to 'chop out the shanty' at the end of the season.  <--been there, it sucks, glad I didn't send postcards, never going back.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Thanks vermonner. That will probably be done this summer. It's gettin hauled from Ossippee to Sebago today or tomorrow. Course I'll never actually be done with it. lol

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:40 PM »
I usually use the header paint or the bbq grill paint,  both work great and cost around 5-8 bucks.   I have a stove in the ice condo that was done about 8yrs ago and its still looking pretty good,  only a little white/gray ashy looking on the lower sides from the heat other than that its flat black still.  I like to keep my stoves as close to the floor as possible with tin behind them on the walls to act as a heat sheild/reflector.  Plus if its on a bench or a table it makes it harder to lift your tired legs up to dry off your boots. 

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Thanks FRESHBAIT

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Snowman,finally got my nu-way stove and installed it ,seems to work great its small but we stay very comfy.I put my stove on a table so i can store wood under it,i just put alluminum flashing under and around it.Got the shack on the lake this week,used your idea to put two 4x4s under back corners crank up the jack and wheels are off the ice ,works slick.Took my daughter yesterday and she caught a 22" pickeral another about 16" and around 10 perch 3 keepers.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Sweet sawmillr!! Glad to hear your shack is working out and your daughter is slaying em!! I've got my shack sitting on small skids. Front tongue and rear jacks. Glad to hear you're out there enjoying it with the little one!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.