Author Topic: Straight Flouro or Braid and Flouro  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Straight Flouro or Braid and Flouro
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:21 PM »
Question for fellow Laker jiggers!   Currently I own and operate 4 jig rods with spinning reels. Each set up has 20lb power pro super slick 8 or Tuff line Duracast followed by a size 10 Spro swivel then 12lb Seagaur Flourocarbon leader.

I just acquired an older Abu Garcia 5500c3 Baitcast reel, So my question is has anyone tried straight Flourocarbon without Braid? I was thinking 17lb test.

The lake where I fish mostly gives up plenty of 20lb Lakers and has produced Lakers up to 35lbs.
I'm not really sure I will like the Baitcast setup but I want to try.

Thanks for your help!
Jig em up!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Straight Flouro or Braid and Flouro
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I use braid with flouro leader tied with a back to back UNI knot.
Don't like using swivels for the main line to leader connection.
A bonus is the knot can be wound through the guides.  ;)2

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:44 AM »
I use braid with flouro leader tied with a back to back UNI knot.
Don't like using swivels for the main line to leader connection.
A bonus is the knot can be wound through the guides.  ;)2

Thanks Drifter... I also use the uni to uni on occasion.. Have you tried straight flouo on your baitcast setups? I'm happy with the Braid on my spinning reels, Probably i'm just over thinking this..
Jig em up!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:27 AM »
I use braid to floro with a modified Albright knot. Works really well. I really like the tuf-line braid and seaguar blue label floro leader.

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I use the 5500 on my jig rods also. I use 20 pound braid to 20 feet of floro or maxima 12 pound to a small barrel swivel and then 3 feet of floro to jig. You can get the jig down much faster with the 5500 than your spinning reel and your jig wiill stay straight. I use the 20 foot of line so there is some give when i get the laker close to the boat or near the net.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Thanks Drifter... I also use the uni to uni on occasion.. Have you tried straight flouo on your baitcast setups? I'm happy with the Braid on my spinning reels, Probably i'm just over thinking this..

Haven't used straight flouro on any reel I've ever used.
Most of my stuff is either braid or mono and flouro leaders.
I don't like hard lines like flouro in the cold as they tend to have a lot of memory.

I also only use coated braids like Duracast in the winter. Much less ice buildup on line, guides and reels.

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Ive been trying 17lbs flourocarbon straight and dont like it i have missed 5 fish on hook set after they peel line. to much stretch.  on my other rods and reels i use power pro and dont have to pull up and reel like crazy to catch up to the slack line.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:07 PM »
30 lb braid  tipped with 25 lb  flourcarbon.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2014, 03:07 PM »
I use straight  20lb Berkley floro transition in gold.  I run this line with no leader straight to a 60lb spro snap swivel.  The straight floro is very abrasion resistant and I have yet to break off a big fish at the hole.  I don't fish deep water so line stretch on the hook set isn't that big of a deal.  I don't fish in a shack until my reels start to freeze up so I needed a line that dosent absorb water and I can easily strip the ice from the line.  I've tried using braid with a leader but I had nothing but problems.  It seemed like the braid would work ok for a little while but after a couple hours water would eventually saturate the line and and everything would freeze.  Now I'm sure everyone's experience is different but you have to understand that I fish outside in temps most people can't tolerate so a non freezing line for me is critical
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2014, 03:14 PM »
A lot of my buddies swear by straight flouro for lake trout.  10lb test.  25 or 35 class spinning reel on 32" medium st croix.   they've landed fish up to 19lbs on that setup.   I much prefer braid.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:38 PM »
I was running 2 years ago  a 15 lb. Flouro line for a   leader about 15 ft long  .

This was not good as it had a lot of memory and would bird nest around my spin casting rod.

I now cut back to about  a 3 - 5 ft leader on the end my braided line

I do agree braid is not good for outside a heated tent  .

Best is to have mono then flouro for outdoors use.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:35 AM »
I usually transfer one of my smaller open water troller reals to my laker jig rod for the winter. An Okuma job. I like the line counter and high crank ratio for getting my jig where I want it fast. Usually have braid backing, but as someone else said, you want coated braid of some sort or it's bad news - ices up big time; then to barrel swivel and 12 lb flouro leader. Last year, I had peeled off all my braid backing though and didn't have any on-hand when I went to fish so I just spoiled up all the way with flouro. Ended up working just fine. Loved it actually. Killed the better part of an expensive spool of Seaguar that I usually just use for leaders, but so what? Caught a bunch of nice Lakers and liked the performance (  no memory, ice up, stretch, etc.) enough that I'm leaving it spooled like that this year. LOVE that it doesn't have memory and come off like a slinky.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.