Author Topic: Lake trout game plans  (Read 3919 times)

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake trout game plans
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Curious how everyone goes about getting ready for a day chasing lake trout. I fish reservoirs in SD, MT and WY. Lake trout tend to be deep here. I look for area where a creek and river channel bends up on a point. I will set up Ice Riggers with 4' rods. In SD you can use 4 lines and in Wy you can use 6. I keep one rod to jig and look in holes. I use tube jigs and beaver tail jigs tipped with salted dead minnows and jig with spoons and/ or tube jigs. Most day the jigging catching most fish but the dead rods show where the better jigging area may be. Once I get a hot hole with a dead rod I will drill a couple more holes in the area and jig. When an area dies down I go looking for a new area.

So lets here some game plans.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Lake trout game plans
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:02 PM »
I fish in NY, and jig exclusively.   All of my lake trout fishing gets done on large mid-depth or deep flats, depending on the forage base.   I head to gps way points from previous trips, or i will just hole hop my way across the flat, 100 - 300 feet at a time, till I start running into schools of trout.  i usually jig about 10-30 feet off bottom and wait for the fish to come charging up.

Offline SSmithNY92

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Run it hot!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:59 PM »
I fish in NY, and jig exclusively.   All of my lake trout fishing gets done on large mid-depth or deep flats, depending on the forage base.   I head to gps way points from previous trips, or i will just hole hop my way across the flat, 100 - 300 feet at a time, till I start running into schools of trout.  i usually jig about 10-30 feet off bottom and wait for the fish to come charging up.

How upstate are you? Ever fish Upper Saranac Lake? There's a spot I fish smelt in that sounds just like that....makes me want to give this a shot.
Common sense isn't so common.

The fishing was always better yesterday.

Ice Team Member.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:01 AM »
The shallowest I've caught a laker was 15 fow.you would be surprised how often they feed on perch specially if their main forage isn't ad plentiful.have heard of guys sight fishing perch and getting Lakers in crushing their perch rig.just something to keep in mind

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I fish almost exclusively for lake trout, I have my go to spots on our local lakes. We can only use 2 rods in this area, one dead stick with a tube jig and minnow, sculpin or meat, hanging 1"-2" off bottom. Jig the other, tube jig or spoon. Points, humps, river channels. I have caught them from 6' - 180' deep.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:20 AM »
I fish almost exclusively for lake trout, I have my go to spots on our local lakes. We can only use 2 rods in this area, one dead stick with a tube jig and minnow, sculpin or meat, hanging 1"-2" off bottom. Jig the other, tube jig or spoon. Points, humps, river channels. I have caught them from 6' - 180' deep.
Basically it.find structure or forage and see if they are there or wait for them to come through. I like to move around when one spot slows down though

Offline Mac daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:49 PM »
I'm definitely a stick and stay laker fisherman once I set up on my hump or ledge I will be there all day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.