Vermont > Ice Fishing Vermont

Are the alewives in Champlain responsible for the slow bite?

(1/4) > >>

Vt Piker:
 I primarily target Pike, but jig perch while waiting for a flag. But this year...no perch except for dinks. And the Pike bite has been slow.  It seems like any fish big enough to eat an alewive is doing just that.
 Has anyone else noticed a slower than normal bite for their target species?

VERMONSTER:
         I have noticed that Champlain hasnt been anything like normal at all this year.
     I hate to say it but could there be some new invasive???

Fish Farmer:
Well, when you catch and kill perch/pike in an area of alewife populations, cut it open and see what it has been dining on. That should tell you a lot.

laddyboy:
a slow bite for sure! i've fished southern champlain three full weekends this year, and have tried two types of shiners (in various sizes), flies, and grubs as well. indeed, the fishing is  slower than usual.   it should be noted that some nice "slabbers" have been taken though.

vermonner:
YES YES and YES
another skunk on Mallets bay today and everyone I spoke with was talking about a big alewfie die-off=easy picking for the perch and others, so I surmised they're just sitting there, looking at your (mine too) bait and acting like it's 3:00 p.m. on thanksgiving afternoon..."uh, no thanks, I couldn't eat another bite"
That will end soon cuz all the alewives are dead now and the fish just need a few days to digest what they ate, and we'll have regular bites again in a week or so.  I'm going to the cowbanks tomorrow, will let you all know how I made out after the Giants win the Superbowl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version