Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Equipment

Livescope Powering Down

(1/4) > >>

theTUGistheDRUG:
Posted this in my Livescope build thread, but thought I might get some more views in the general forum....

Ok, so I got my GLS10/LVS34 bundle.

Everything is put together and I am having some type of power supply issue on the plotter.  Verified the same issue with two different charged lithium batteries (Dakota 12V 10AH and Amped 14V 19AH).  The head unit screen goes black after 10-15 minutes every time I turn it on.  Then it powers back up for 15 min or so with no issues.  I did turn off the auto shutdown setting and even did a factory reset to make sure it took the setting change.

I also put on the voltage alarm on 12V, but that is not beeping before the unit goes off. 

The only variables I think I did not check is the voltage to the power cable harness and the unit cradle.  It is reading 16v when the livescope is plugged in so I am not sure it is a voltage issue....

Could it be a fuse issue?  Garmin's website says the lithium power cable bundle (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/780826) uses a 10A fuse, but the cable came with a 15A spade fuse installed.  Fuse is not burned.   I also don't have the ground connected on the GLS box, but I think this issue was happening before the box was even introduced and the box is functioning until it powers down.

Adding a bit more detail.  The unit screen turns black and I need to hold the power button to reboot.  It goes through its map loading, magenta line message, etc and then it goes back to the screen I left it on...  makes me wonder if it is a sleep mode.  I cannot cycle the power button when it goes black to wake it up.  I do notice that there is a faint backlight on the black screen but no functionality. 

For most of the troubleshooting I did not have the LVS34 connected (to avoid running it dry), but the box is plugged in.  Just tested it in water with the transducer plugged in and it froze up and shut down again as it was in active use.  It was reading 16v though so i don't think its a voltage issue...  I am not seeing any voltage drop, perspective mode was working (showing me the koi in the pond) and then the screen just froze and it turned off.

What am I missing? Anyone else having this issue?  I really hope its not a bad head unit since I bought it back in April.  Trying to see if this is a common fix before going to Garmin to start replacing things.

rundrave:
is it possible you have the transducer on and its shutting down as a safety feature?

Try this:
To disable the active sonar, from the sonar screen, select MENU > Sonar Transmit.
To disable all sonar transmissions, press Power button, and select Disable Sonar.

I have been told to always keep sonar transmit off unless its in the water. It can heat up and it might be a safety feature causing yours to power down to keep it from getting damaged?

theTUGistheDRUG:
I did have it connected for a while before I read that you should not run it dry.  I tried pausing it, but it was still transmitting even when paused.  I did put the LVS34 in the tiny fish pond I have at the house and it still locked up. Although it was functioning before it did. 

I will give it a shot, thank you for the suggestion.  I did read about stopping transmitting but I was not sure the pathway to that option.   I would prefer to troubleshoot with everything plugged in so that could be a key piece of advice. 

theTUGistheDRUG:
No dice although I did need to know that, so thank you. I was playing with the setting and the unit froze and shut down. Leaning towards hardware/software issue???

missoulafish:
I see lots of comments on FB that say to reset if issues are encountered..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version