Author Topic: How often do you move?  (Read 8740 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
How often do you move?
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Is it more productive to chase the crappie, or stay-put and try to call them in?

I’m usually very impatient, and will move if I’m not marking fish within 15 minutes of dropping the transducer. However, this weekend dragging the flip-over through wet snow really slowed me down. I feel like I did just as well (if not better) sticking with the hole, and calling the crappie in with a rattle bait.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How often do you move?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Depends how I feel when I'm on the ice by myself or if I have my son with me so he can do all the heavy lifting. :unsure:

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:27 AM »
find the area where they are at and turn it into swiss cheese. they are roaming. once I find them, I fish the hole. when they are gone and I can't bring them back, I move to the next hole. if nothing, I move in a circular pattern. eventually, you will find them. Yes, I always go back to the hot hole to dbl check

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:51 AM »
It depends upon the type of lake I fish.  One lake has little structure and the fish roam a lot.  So I move quite often.  Another lake has too much structure.  So when I get on a brush pile I'll stay until the bite slows down than move. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Temperature related.  If it's too cold, I don't move.  ;D

When I'm able to move about and drill lots of holes.  I give each hole about 10 minutes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:05 PM »
The guys I fish with drill and sit, it seems to work for them. The theory they have the fish keep moving they will come back around.

I get impatient and start drilling, not sure it helps but keeps you moving

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:12 PM »
On a new lake I'll drill lots of holes and hole hop until I mark fish, if bite slows I'll do the same again. Lakes I regularly fish I don't move much.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:20 PM »
my experience (upstate NY) has Crappie usually moving in small schools this time of year. I think the schools move along the same, lets call them pathways, as they move from deeper water to shallow water.  The trick is to get a hole above one of those pathways that concentrate the fish.

I start out with one hole and if I catch 2-5 in the first hour I tend to stick with that hole. If that first hole is a dud, I'll try another until I hit a good hole. After a few moves and if I still have not found the fish, I'll drill a series of hole and move from hole to hole. Of course, it helps to haver had prior success in the area and to be there at duck and dawn.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:21 AM »
find the area where they are at and turn it into swiss cheese. they are roaming. once I find them, I fish the hole. when they are gone and I can't bring them back, I move to the next hole. if nothing, I move in a circular pattern. eventually, you will find them. Yes, I always go back to the hot hole to dbl check

Seems to work best for me as well. Small area or type of bottom and move around that area from hole to hole and the first hot hole seems to always have a few after I return to it.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Is it more productive to chase the crappie, or stay-put and try to call them in?

I’m usually very impatient, and will move if I’m not marking fish within 15 minutes of dropping the transducer. However, this weekend dragging the flip-over through wet snow really slowed me down. I feel like I did just as well (if not better) sticking with the hole, and calling the crappie in with a rattle bait.

For crappies, I won't even fish if I don't see them on the flasher when I drop the ducer down. Keep drilling and moving until I see them, then keep chasing the schools around. The exception would be right at first/last light when they are pretty stationary in the feeding areas.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:26 PM »
100% with Kevin23 on this one.  I might not even drop a bait down if I am not marking any fish.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2019, 12:08 AM »
Do your homework have a reason to be there.  Have 3 or more locations to fish that you can drag to from that area.  If you are not on fish move.  Do not spend to much time in one area unless you are marking fish or catching fish.  If you are marking and not catching and can be worth more time to change things up.  I'll hit an area between 20 to 30 minutes.  Too little time is as bad as spending to much time. On slow days when fish are not active it can be about numbers.  Find the numbers and you can always get a percentage of them to bite.   The more fish that are there the more opportunity there is.   

Offline Tommyguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:08 AM »
I have a garmin livescope so if I don’t see them in forward mode no reason to fish that hole, punch another and spin scope around and then punch over the school. Then repeat once they move to stay on em

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:37 AM »
welcome to this site! sounds like your enjoying your new sonar.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Well I thought the comments about not fishing till you mark fish was the whole idea. On a lake I know it is a pretty short process. On a lake I don’t know prep includes looking at any lake maps available, choosing a area of the lake that looks like the fish will be and then start drilling. Works well if you have a partner, a younger partner they drill you follow with the sonar. Keep it up till you start marking. If like my fishing buddy who is not ready to go when you pick him up it is ok to mark fish and let him drill a few more holes before you mention that you’re marking fish!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2019, 05:02 PM »
I wish I could fish with you guys. I need to learn where to look I guess.  Seeing/marking fish before I drop the bait is something I’ve never had the pleasure of.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2019, 06:11 PM »
I wish I could fish with you guys. I need to learn where to look I guess.  Seeing/marking fish before I drop the bait is something I’ve never had the pleasure of.
Sometimes that means literally drilling a hole every 10 steps, hard to find these schools without panoptix. 3-5ft in any direction and you won’t see them on sonar. That’s why some people will swing their transducer around at the bottom of the hole, to see if there’s any fish off to the sides.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:29 PM »
when your neighbor catches a fish move that way.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:54 AM »
when your neighbor catches a fish move that way.

I fish with a group of guys who hole hop and we split up to cover a large amount of area. If one of us are marking and catching we tend to shift in that direction.

Offline deerlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:45 AM »
I typically drill a bunch of holes in an area. Will set two tip downs up that are not directly next to each other. Will move them around based on what I am seeing / catching. Then I will hope hop until I mark a fish. I won't typically fish a hole unless I am marking a fish. When the bite heats up, I take it a step further and only fish a hole where I see suspended fish.  I have noticed that these suspended fish typically are more aggressive and prone to bite.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:07 PM »
I fish for panfish a lot. I also use a camera so I can see exactly how the fish are reacting to my bait.   Last weekend I was fishing in Wisconsin for very finicky fish. I kept moving until I found more aggressive fish. If the fish do not want my bait I move.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.