Washington > Ice Fishing Washington

Bead Lake Reports

<< < (5/6) > >>

FlamDragger:
No bites in just over 5 hours of fishing, made for a slow and cold night. The trek just to get to our spots, was treacherous, to say the least! There’s about 6” to 10” of snow on top of the ice, with some being packed, but mostly just powdery. There was a slush layer in a few spots, which made it even harder to walk.  It made for a long haul, even with our smitty-sleds. At 60 years of age, it was a chore. (And I’m in shape! Sad shape, I guess!)
  We got to Bead after 4 sometime, and were fishing by 5:30, or so. I saw a couple fish come through on my Showdown, but nothing hung around long enough to matter. I did notice twice, when I had the fish-finder in full water column, that it looked like a school of kokanee came by, but we were only set up for burbot, and not after the kokes.
  The burbot fishing, for me at least, has been hit or miss, at best. This year so far, a complete whiff!
 I shall return, but probably not again this year.

Vandal78:

--- Quote from: FlamDragger on Feb 22, 2018, 01:22 PM ---No bites in just over 5 hours of fishing, made for a slow and cold night. The trek just to get to our spots, was treacherous, to say the least! There’s about 6” to 10” of snow on top of the ice, with some being packed, but mostly just powdery. There was a slush layer in a few spots, which made it even harder to walk.  It made for a long haul, even with our smitty-sleds. At 60 years of age, it was a chore. (And I’m in shape! Sad shape, I guess!)
  We got to Bead after 4 sometime, and were fishing by 5:30, or so. I saw a couple fish come through on my Showdown, but nothing hung around long enough to matter. I did notice twice, when I had the fish-finder in full water column, that it looked like a school of kokanee came by, but we were only set up for burbot, and not after the kokes.
  The burbot fishing, for me at least, has been hit or miss, at best. This year so far, a complete whiff!
 I shall return, but probably not again this year.

--- End quote ---

How thick was the ice?

FlamDragger:
6" to 8" clear underneath anywhere from 6" to 12" powdery stuff on top. There were a few areas with a slush layer between the snow, and the ice layer. A VERY tough slog! It was a sliver moon, on a cold night, with no bites. Darn glad we had a warming shanty to pop in, once in awhile, but it got tough to keep the holes, rod eyelets, or our reels from icing pretty bad.

NarniaFisher:
Anyone been out on Bead Lake in 2022 yet? I love fishing there but it's quite the drive... curious if there's safe ice near the boat ramp

smitty661:
I am going to head up to check it tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. I have never fished it but I am hoping to try for Mac’s and burbot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version